Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about more advanced hiking app

ANSWERED

Dear Fitbit community,

As I am searching for a new fitness tracker that is focused on mountain hikes, thus i would like to ask if it is possible to create a more advanced version of hiking app.

Unfortunately I have no knowledge in creating apps, but i have resources to do so.

Would it be possible to create an app for the Fitbit Ionic, that shows real time data for: distance traveled, elevation gain/loss (total) actual elevation, heart rate and calories burned? Does Fitbit OS allows that or is it impossible?

I know that there is a basic hiking app where i can check three stats that i can choose, but this is too basic for my needs.

I am sorry if those questions were answered before, but all those topics are full of concepts that I don't understand and i haven't found an simplified answer.

Best regards,

WR

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I think this would be possible. The only problem I'd see is that such an app would only have access to less frequent heart rate data, whereas the Fitbit Exercise app can get access to more frequent heart rate data.

The Fitbit Exercise app may still meet your need. While you can only view three stats at once, you can touch the middle stat to view others.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

I think this would be possible. The only problem I'd see is that such an app would only have access to less frequent heart rate data, whereas the Fitbit Exercise app can get access to more frequent heart rate data.

The Fitbit Exercise app may still meet your need. While you can only view three stats at once, you can touch the middle stat to view others.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank You very much for Your answer. Those are some good news for me.

I am not sure if I should ask a follow up question here, or send You a private message?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I recommend asking in public. More people can provide answers, and more people can benefit from answers.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

Answering a bit late, but the app is already done, I just need to get my Ionic to try it out. I wanted to ask about possibility of multiple screens in one app, but it's already sorted out and working. Thank You for help!

Best Answer

Hey,

Got some good news. Ordered Ionic and got it today, I am really happy and the delivery time was express. Got the app almost done, but I have some problems with testing it. I've joined the developers program and uploaded it to my app gallery. Got the link that i used on my phone and it leads me into the fitbit app, but it says that i cannot install it and i don't know why. Is there anything i can do to allow my Ionic to install an app?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Hey,

Got some good news. Ordered Ionic and got it today, I am really happy and the delivery time was express. Got the app almost done, but I have some problems with testing it. I've joined the developers program and uploaded it to my app gallery. Got the link that i used on my phone and it leads me into the fitbit app, but it says that i cannot install it and i don't know why. Is there anything i can do to allow my Ionic to install an app?

You've built an SDK2 app and your device isn't running SDK2 yet. Change it to SDK1 in the package.json and rebuild it.

Best Answer

Thanks, that did the trick!

Sorry for my late replies, lately I have much more work than I would want to.

Practically, the app is ready on the watch's side. It tracks the data I wanted. Now comes the hard part - transferring data to the dashboard and presenting it.

As this seems to be a problem for my friend, can You please guide me to some articles/knowledge describing data transfer? We would like to transfer the data and present it just as data from a normal run app is shown. Bunch of charts with pace, hr, altitude, a map showing GPS trail etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes