Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending OSC messages from the companion to a program on my PC

ANSWERED

I'm trying to figure out a way to get a live-stream of my heart rate from the Versa 2 to a program on my computer. I know that the companion (which I believe runs on my desktop's fitbit app?) can communicate with other web API's, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. Any info about sending messages from the companion to programs on my computer, or even just a way of having the companion write to a csv file on my computer would solve my problem. Thanks in advance

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

fetch or WebSockets are the only options. WebSockets are probably more suitable for near-real-time streaming of data. You need server software to capture the data.

I don't think there's a simple way to do it.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hello there 🙂 

As far as i know, the companion app is supposed to run on your smartphone, on fitbit app. Unless you're using the simulator to dev, but that will be just for the development part.

Anyway, if you need to communicate with your home computer, you can use the fetch API to communicate with it, but then your  programs needs to act as REST Api.
Do you want to communicate with existing programs, or one your going to write by yourself ?

Best Answer

Hey, thanks for replying so fast! 🙂 

I would like to communicate with an existing program, is this easily done? I saw a post about the fetch API (https://community.fitbit.com/t5/SDK-Development/Post-data-using-fetch-Api/td-p/4175263) that mentioned posting the data to a server using fetch(), so would that be the best avenue to persue? I have never done any of this sort of thing, and all I'm really looking for is a simple way to access the real time heart rate on my computer (even load it into a variable in a python file or somthing like that), but I am not sure where to begin. I will have a look at the fetch API and see if I can find some examples, but any further direction would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

fetch or WebSockets are the only options. WebSockets are probably more suitable for near-real-time streaming of data. You need server software to capture the data.

I don't think there's a simple way to do it.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes