Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sense, Versa3 and Fitbit Studio

ANSWERED

Will the Sense and Versa3 be supported as build targets in Fitbit Studio when the watches become available for purchase in late-September or will there be a delay like there was for Versa2 when it launched?  From a development standpoint, I'm only interested in the new watches if I can do something with them. Also, not a lot of details out there regarding the processing capability. Are these watches generally "faster" at the very least? The selling point for me might be the Bluetooth 5. Watches need reliable syncing and updating if you're going to compete with Apple, which is generally rock-solid in this area. Thanks, and good luck.  

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

In short, yes SDK 5.0 will be available to support the new devices. The new devices have a squircle display which is 336x336. 

We will be running some apps/clocks in compatibility mode, where they're dynamically stretched to fill the screen.

If your existing apps/clocks look good on the new devices in compatibility mode, then they will be added to an allow-list, similar to how we did it in the past with Versa >> Versa Lite >> Versa 2. If they appear to be broken, then won't be added to the allow-list and you'll need to update them to SDK 5.0.

If you have a clock added to the list and you don't like it, you'll be able to remove it from the allow-list in GAM.

All details will be in the SDK announcement.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Ha! I pretty much Just posted the same thing minutes after you 🙂 Here's hoping for some info!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would also like to know, since the screen resolution on Versa 3 and Sense is higher than Versa 1 and 2, will existing apps scale automatically to the new resolution, or appear "letterboxed" or do we have to take action to port the apps to the new resolution? And maybe to accommodate for the rounded corners that the new screens seem to have. In case we have to take action, it would be great to know and be able to do that soon, since the new devices start shipping in less than a month.

Best Answer

In short, yes SDK 5.0 will be available to support the new devices. The new devices have a squircle display which is 336x336. 

We will be running some apps/clocks in compatibility mode, where they're dynamically stretched to fill the screen.

If your existing apps/clocks look good on the new devices in compatibility mode, then they will be added to an allow-list, similar to how we did it in the past with Versa >> Versa Lite >> Versa 2. If they appear to be broken, then won't be added to the allow-list and you'll need to update them to SDK 5.0.

If you have a clock added to the list and you don't like it, you'll be able to remove it from the allow-list in GAM.

All details will be in the SDK announcement.

Best Answer

Will be there also a way to provide an app/watchface for both resolutions with different optimizations?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is this available yet?  Just bought a sense with hopes to write apps, but it will not find the watch in studio.

Best Answer
0 Votes

figured this out, the fitbit instructions are not very clear.  After I found the developer bridge setting deep inside the menu - it now finds the phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes