Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shorten web API sync period

Hello,

I'm working on a college project that involves collecting data from the web API at the utmost real-time flow possible. Currently the data is collected every 15 minutes, and I was wondering if there is a way to shorten this period down to 5 minutes. I'm researching the wake-interval API from the companion API, but I'm not sure if I'm on the correct path.

Hope you can help with this issue.
Thanks in advance.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @JavierSR 

Unfortunately, the Fitbit defined sync rate cannot be adjusted.  But, you are correct that you can build a clock face for the smart watches using the Device SDK (Device API, Companion API) to customize the sync rate.   I'll move your post to the SDK forums.   Someone should be able to give you guidance on how to pull the data from the smart watch more frequently.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer

wake-interval won't affect the Web API, but can be used to restart the companion component every 5 minutes. The companion component (Companion API) will also need to have an on-device clockface or app (Device API). Whether this needs to be running continuously to collect the data you want depends on what data you want.

The good news is that you can get data several times every second if you use the Device-Companion APIs (while your clockface/app is in use). But getting the comms working is very difficult.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer