Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sideload of app failed. Connected device does not support API version requested by app

ANSWERED

Update: 11/9/2018 9:15 AM PST

I have the install working.  First what didn't work:

1) Changing the

"devDependencies": {
"@fitbit/sdk": "~1.0.2",
"@fitbit/sdk-cli": "^1.0.1"
},

to version 1.0.2 as shown.  The process I followed was - change the package, rebuild and try the install.  That didn't work. 

2) Copy the package.json file from an app that was never updated to 2 - rebuild and install.  That didn't work.

3) Rename the node_modules folder to node_modules2 and then copy in the node_modules folder in it's entirety from the older app.  Tried a rebuild.  That didn't work.  It ran for several minutes and then failed with a javascript heap out of memory message.  When the build failed, I then deleted the app.fba file from the build folder.  Not sure what this is, but I figured it couldn't hurt.  If didn't hurt but it also didn't work.

What worked:

What worked was to copy the older app's folders into a new folder, delete the older app's application files, copy the new app's application files over to the new folder.  Rebuild and Install.  That worked. 

The difference seems to be the node_modules folder, although why number 3 above didn't work, I'm not sure.  Perhaps a hidden file somewhere that still had the version 2 info?

At this point, I have to ask, is SDK version 2.0.2, not capable of creating a version 1.0.2 application?  If it is, what am I doing wrong?  And, is so, where is the documentation that I must have missed?

One more question, is there a roll out schedule for version 2 for ionic.  Is so, is it published?  Where would I find it? 

---------------------------------------------------------

Original post:

I've changed my package.json back to version 1.0.2 but I'm still getting the error:  "Sideload of app failed. Connected device does not support API version requested by app" when I attempt to install the app. I have an older app that still loads (it was never updated to version 2).  In desperation, I copied it's package.json file over, rebuilt the app and tried the install.  That didn't work.  What do I need to do to "rollback" to version 1?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

When you modify the version number of the sdk in your package.json, you have to install the sdk for that version. `npm install`

The version numbers for the SDK are:

SDK 1

"@fitbit/sdk""~1.0.4",

SDK 2

"@fitbit/sdk": "~2.0.2",

Each installed version of the @Fitbit/sdk can only build for that specific version of the SDK.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

When you modify the version number of the sdk in your package.json, you have to install the sdk for that version. `npm install`

The version numbers for the SDK are:

SDK 1

"@fitbit/sdk""~1.0.4",

SDK 2

"@fitbit/sdk": "~2.0.2",

Each installed version of the @Fitbit/sdk can only build for that specific version of the SDK.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am not speaking for Fitbit, but rather my personal experience.

You do not need to update your project to SDK 2.0 unless you are going to use the new API's that were introduced with SDK 2.0. If you aren't making any updates to your project, then just keep compiling it under SDK 1.0. The existing OS and OS 2.2 will load SDK 1.0.

If you are going to use the new SDK 2.0, then you will need to updated your SDK dependencies (

"devDependencies": {
"@fitbit/sdk": "^2.0.0",
"@fitbit/sdk-cli": "^1.0.0"
}

), and then also update the modules (

npm install
npm add --only=dev @Fitbit/sdk
npm add --only=dev @Fitbit/sdk-cli

). Note: the SDK that I reference, along with the SDK-CLI is zero minor versions. NPM will automatically get you the latest packages when you install/add them.

Hope this helps.

Best Answer

@JonFitbit

Thanks for the info.  That worked, as simple as changing the version and then issuing the npm install command from the terminal. 

I guess this is something we're "just supposed to know"?

Is there some documentation somewhere that:

1) tells us developers what the current sdk versions are?

2) has the roll out schedule for each version and watch?

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mike_EV

Thanks for taking the time to answer.  I appreciate that.  At this point, I'm not using anything from 2, I just updated because it was available.  Thanks for the info, I'll keep it at 1 until Fibit tells us that everyone is on 2.  Or at lest until my watch is updated!

Rich

Best Answer
0 Votes