Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulator SSL Problem

ANSWERED

We are aware of an issue with SSL certificates that will impact use of the developer bridge with the simulator. We will be issuing a fix for the simulator in the comings days, in the meantime please use a physical device for development.

Best Answer
53 REPLIES 53

It's been 4 months since the "coming days".  What is the status on this fix?

Best Answer

how do we go to 

%localappdata%\Programs\@fitbitsimulator\resources\static\devicesim\win

Best Answer

Hi @FitVersaFit  - on the PC where the OS Simulator is installed,

open My computer in Explorer [or in any directory] and paste

%localappdata%\Programs\@fitbitsimulator\resources\static\devicesim\win

into the navigation bar at the top and press enter.

In the directory where you have copied the cacert.pem file

create a bat file with the following lines, save it and run it.

The pause at the end will confirm if it has worked properly for all watches and is less tedious for the next time it needs to be done..

copy cacert.pem %localappdata%\Programs\@fitbitsimulator\resources\static\devicesim\win\atlas
copy cacert.pem %localappdata%\Programs\@fitbitsimulator\resources\static\devicesim\win\gemini
copy cacert.pem %localappdata%\Programs\@fitbitsimulator\resources\static\devicesim\win\higgs
copy cacert.pem %localappdata%\Programs\@fitbitsimulator\resources\static\devicesim\win\meson
copy cacert.pem %localappdata%\Programs\@fitbitsimulator\resources\static\devicesim\win\mira
copy cacert.pem %localappdata%\Programs\@fitbitsimulator\resources\static\devicesim\win\vulcan
pause

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

how do we do this

Best Answer

Hi @BeatYT123 - are you asking how to create a BAT file?

If so, right click in the directory where the cacert.pem is stored and choose New and then Text document.

Enter the text and save and exit

Rename the New Text Document.txt file to MyCertInstall.bat and then double click on it, to run it.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is not even fixed but ok

Best Answer

The issue still persists as does the presented solution - at least for windows that is. Sadly enough I am having a hard time getting the simulator to work under Linux Mint 20.3. When I start the simulator through the npm package I get the following error:

ERR: SSL error: unable to get local issuer certificate (preverify_ok=0;err=20;depth=2)

I am not an expert so I just tried to locate the certificate:

locate cacert.pem

I replaced the matches with the provided certificate as I did for windows but it didn't help. Although the simulator itself is running just fine under linux the device bridge just won't connect. Any ideas?

Best Answer

Figure if that happens again to myself, I put together a simple CLI, https://www.npmjs.com/package/patch-fitbit-simulator, to handle this if it occurs again for Mac OS users. Hopefully we won't be needing this for that much longer, cheers.

Creator of Pixels on Ridge. Just building fun stuff. Check out some of my Fitbit libraries like fitbit-settings or fitbit-core to help accelerate your development.
Best Answer

Please update to the latest version. See here for more details:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/SDK-Development/SDK-6-1-0-Release/m-p/5111604

Best Answer

Thats good news. Thank you @JonFitbit. The npm package had previously been updated by @BingRen as mentioned in his post. So right now the simulator can be used on Linux as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I am trying to run Fitbit Sim v0.9.4 in Windows 10 Home Virtual Box VM. I have replaced the certs in all 6 win devices I see with your recommended cert. Still getting no launch (sim launch from desktop shortcut) with these log traces (eventually times out):  

[2022-06-08 14:03:09.273] [info] shell->app: {"id":0,"method":"initialize","params":{"capabilities":{"protocol":{"maxMessageSize":536870912}}},"jsonrpc":"2.0"}
[2022-06-08 14:03:13.479] [info] appsim stdout: [I][14:03:11.721][] Starting breakpad client - reporting to \\.\pipe\Fitbit OS Simulator Crash Service
[E][14:03:11.726][] Could not connect to breakpad server!
[E][14:03:11.991][] Fb_UserAlarms_Read: KV entry for alarm info not found!
[E][14:03:11.991][] Fb_UserAlarms_Read: Any Alarms have been purged.
[D][14:03:11.993][] Scheduler starting dispatch time: 1654693391993

[2022-06-08 14:03:13.721] [info] appsim exit code: 1 (signal null)
[2022-06-08 14:03:24.288] [warn] 10 retries left: MethodCallTimeout: No response received for RPC call to 'initialize'

might you have any more ideas about what I might try? Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, so I believe the simulator has been updated now so the official package
should work now. Cheers
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the reply, I downloaded the simulator package yesterday through  "getting started" link. Is there a different procedure I should use? 

Thank you.  

Best Answer
That should be fine and it should be latest version which fixes the ssl
issues.
Best Answer
0 Votes