Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDK 6.1.0 Release

Today we published a minor update to the SDK which resolves some issues relating to the simulator, and provides some additional fonts for Versa 3 and Sense devices.

• Bugfix: Simulator unable to connect due to certificate error.
  • Bugfix: Simulator error when switching device.
  • Feature: New system fonts.

Please note: You must uninstall the old simulator, then install the new version. This is due to a change in publisher certificate.

Windows simulator: https://simulator-updates.fitbit.com/download/stable/win

Macos simulator: https://simulator-updates.fitbit.com/download/stable/mac

When targeting SDK 6.1.0 you can use the following new system fonts:

• FBCondensed-Regular

• FBNucleon-Black

• FBNucleon-Bold

• FBNucleon-Light

• FBNucleon-Medium

• FBNucleon-Regular

• FBNucleon-Thin

• FBRational-Black

• FBRational-Bold

• FBRational-Regular

Best Answer
29 REPLIES 29

Hi What happened to SDK 5? This was the fall back for things that didn't work in SDK 6.

Is it possible to get the SDK 5 version back?

Is SDK 4.3 affected in any way?

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

No changes to SDK 4.3. If you need to use SDK5 or any other older version you'll need to use the CLI and target that version.

https://dev.fitbit.com/build/guides/command-line-interface/

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JonFitbit 

The link provided on studio fitbit still points to Simulator V 9.2
https://simulator-updates.fitbit.com/download/latest/win

The new simulator 9.4 also does not work.  I only see the message "Here we go" "Simulator loading"

Best Answer

The link has now been fixed. I'm unsure about the problem the simulator failing to load. I would uninstall, log out of fitbit.com in the browser and reinstall 0.9.4

Best Answer

Hi @JonFitbit - the problem with dropping SDK 5.0 is that all the people who have not upgraded their watch firmware will be denied access to the newer 6.0 and 6.1 versions of the Clocks and Apps.

The user may have chosen not to upgrade or may be unaware or unable to upgrade for different reasons.

This can lead to a problem for developers because users of a given watch type can be using various different versions of the Clocks or Apps to the current one which can create a confusion for all.

If the developers choose or are forced to develop for SDK 6.0 or 6.1 [for no specific reason] they may be unkowingly limiting the users who have access to their Clocks or Apps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JonFitbit That didn't work either. I did work on an older Windows 8 laptop though. After install I do get the login screen but then it won't load after that. I am on Windows 11 with AMD Ryzen Processor

@Guy_ 

I totally support you on this. My app sends the users app version to my database so I have quite a good view on people that are stuck on old OS firmware. Actually, that are quite a lot. I ask them to update but they cannot update by themselves. The update button isn't there and the fitbit app just says they have the latest firmware installed. The problem is, that when people have missed too many updates, they can't update automatically nor manual anymore. The only solution is to do a factory reset of the watch. 

Best Answer

Hi @Pietero  -  thanks for confirming the SDK 5.0 issue.

It seems odd to force developers to use a newer version whose features aren't required or necessary for the program in question, thereby limiting the audience.

It should be the developers choice which is the appropriate version to use.

The CLI for older versions doesn't work. This may be because there is no proper documentation. but had no success with it and gave up.

I have many orphaned users of some Clocks because SDK 4.3 doesn't work and 4.2 is no longer available, so development has had to be stopped for them.

Best Answer

@JonFitbit  - it seems SDK 5.0 is not compatible with SDK 6.0/6.1.  readFileSync doesn't work.

Programs will have to be modified to build.

This is another reason not to remove SDK 5.0.

Can we please have SDK 5.0 back and also a list of the incompatibilities that have to be changed and retested.

Best Answer

You can continue to use SDK with the command line SDK if you need to target older devices. Unfortunately we cannot maintain all versions on Fitbit Studio.

The changes for SDK 6 were listed here https://dev.fitbit.com/blog/2021-07-20-announcing-fitbit-os-sdk-6.0/#breaking-changes

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JonFitbit  - CLI for older versions doesn't work, is there is a documentation for it?

Update:

The link to SDK 6 changes for the imports resolved the immediate build incompatibilities.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Make sure you have the package JSON to match the sdk version you want, 5.0.0, and the sdk-cli version at 1.7.3.

If you downloaded your project from studio, you might be missing the sdk-cli entry. Once you've set that, run 'npm install'

"devDependencies": {
  "@fitbit/sdk": "~5.0.0",
  "@fitbit/sdk-cli": "^1.7.3"
}

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the CLI precisions.

Does only the package.json determine which SDK version is used for the build or is it necessary to specify in the build command,

such as npx fitbit-build ~5.0.0?

How does one know which versions are available?

What happens if the version requested is not available?

How does one eliminate versions one doesn't want used by the CLI?

It seems it always/often uses the latest regardless.

Tried so many times to get a coherent result but no CLI build matched and loaded the same as the original Fitbit Studio 4.2 build [fba] - haven't tried 5.0 yet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What do the new fonts look like? Unfortunately, I don't see them in the docs.

Best Answer

Is there a reason for this error with SDK version 6.0 when loading to a Sense 44.128.5.38 with Fitbit Studio Run when it doesn't happen when sent to the OS Simulator 0.9.4?

Any way to eliminate it?

Error 22 Critical glue error
Error -1 Invalid path '/mnt/sysassets/widgets/squircle_overlay.png'

widgets.def=:

<svg>
<defs>
<link rel="import" href="/mnt/sysassets/system_widget.defs" />
</defs>
</svg>

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @JonFitbit ,

Do you have a roadmap for futur version of SDK please?

Thanks for your feedback.

Mike

Best Answer

@JonFitbit 

Hello, Any plan to support EDA(GSR) data streaming like PPG/BVP?

It's really important question for me, since I have to select a device for project.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have uninstalled the old simulator however I am still unable to install the Windows simulator from this link, v0.9.4, as it appears the security certificate S/N 0c1f6e4f7d2cd1b4419e28876c586045 which was used to sign this installer was revoked Jan 4th 2022.

Please update the security certificate or advise if this is an issue on my end.

Thank you for your time.

Best Answer

@kozm0nautI think it has to be an issue on your end. I'm using 0.9.4 without any problems, and I suspect many others are too.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Hi, we are a bunch of Inspire 3 owners wanting to use the SDK to make a “clock face” that actually shows stats and not time as the Inspire 3 being a tracker and not a watch…

Please help with a vote on this feature suggestion!

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Make-Heavy-Stats-clock-face-for-Inspire-3/idc-p/...

Best Answer