Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching screen wake between auto and manual on a schedule

I'd like to make an app that allows the user to schedule when screen wake is set to manual vs. automatic (e.g., the app would allow the user to set the screen wake to manual every day from 11 PM to 7 AM and automatic the rest of the day, and maybe have different weekend vs. weekday schedules).

Before trying to do this, I'm hoping someone can tell me whether this is possible (i.e., 3rd party apps have access to that setting) and if so, maybe provide some guidance or point to documentation on changing that setting programmatically.

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

You can use the Display API to manage the screen display, but be aware you cannot deactivate the normal behaviour of the OS, which means you can turn it off automatically if you want, but it will turn on if you move a certain way or touch the physical buttons/screen.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm trying to do. On the Ionic, if the left button is long-pressed, it brings up a screen with "Screen Wake" and "Notifications" settings (it may be necessary to do a side-swipe to get to that from a screen for music playback). Touching on "Screen Wake" changes it from "Manual" to "Automatic" and vice versa, depending on what it's currently set to. I want to programmatically change the Screen Wake setting on a schedule. Do you know if that's doable?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner (or anyone else who can answer):

I never got a definitive answer about this. Can I programmatically change basic device settings in an app I create?

Thanks,
Brent

Best Answer
0 Votes

@HBrent wrote:

@SunsetRunner (or anyone else who can answer):

I never got a definitive answer about this. Can I programmatically change basic device settings in an app I create?

Thanks,
Brent

No, as of the current firmware (or the one that some other people got a month ago) this is not possible.

Best Answer

A screen wake schedule seems like such a no brainer for Fitbit to have spent some dev hours on.

Best Answer
0 Votes