Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 2 API implementation differences

t Hi

I am playing around with the API with some app ideas for Fitbits, but have hit a snag.

In the reference there is no notes on differences between the Versa and Versa2 watches yet API's that perform predictably on the Versa fails to do so on the Versa 2.

The exercise API - https://dev.fitbit.com/build/reference/device-api/exercise/ is particularly annoying.

If I start a "swim" exercise on the Versa by calling 'exercise.start("swim", { gps: false });' and then call exercise.stats.swimLengths I get the lengths done up to that point.

On the Versa 2 the same call to the same API in the same way always returns '0'.

This means there are differences in the implementation of the SDK that is being hidden making it very difficult to do anything useful.

Could you guys at Fitbit possibly share why this is the case? Is the API as broken for other exercises as well?

Is there a way to help implement the fix required on the Versa 2?

Info would be much appriciated.

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

hmm, I wasn't aware of this, but it's possibly because the Versa2 doesn't have a gyroscope.

I'll need to log this with the firmware team to find out more.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi yes. This does seem to be because of the lack of gyroscopes in the Versa 2.

This also means that it might just not be possible to implement this feature for the Versa 2 in which case you should tell people. The moderators are making it sound as if Fitbit just needs to see the need for swim tracking and it will appear.

It is a massive step back and that it is a hardware issue means that you as Fitbit deliberately made the choice to step away from fitness tracking for swimming. 

This is very sad since I really liked the Versa and had high hopes for the new one.

Unfortunately I will most likely sell my Versa 2 in favour of something more fitness orientated

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello.

Will the versa 2 be able to handle the length of the swimming or counting the laps? A developer should know why these features are missing.... I am very disappointed in this product.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

It seems the fact that the Versa 2 has no gyro and no orientation sensor means the swimming exercise on the versa 2 will always have '0' for laps.

Fitbit must be using some other sensor data to then make an educated guess on the phone as to how many laps were done.

The current implementation of the fitbit app will not be able to return realtime swim info regarding laps at . all.

So the Versa 2 is most definitely not a swimming tracker. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Versa 2 can record the duration of a swim, but not distance or laps or calories. However, the Fitbit web site and app (via web API?) try to fill in the blanks. Those estimates are not as good as the measurements made on watches such as Ionic.

In my case, the system underestimates the number of laps I do. I choose to take that as a compliment. 🙂

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello,

Extremely disappointing especially because I read everywhere how good is
this device because of these features. How can I get a full refund?
Best Answer
0 Votes