Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well this is interesting ..... SDK bug???

Got the following message in the console whilst running my app:

msq full - NOT USING messaging!!.PNG

The interesting is, I am not using messaging. Don't even have peerSocket or MessageSocket components linked.

Any thoughts?

(Using Ionic Views and lots of icons / colors as test)

Best Answer
26 REPLIES 26
Best Answer
0 Votes

Does that post explain how this error can happen in the application with no JS code at all consisting of a single GUI file? Because it’s what this thread is about.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I think the answer is that is could. The message queue being referred to is not that used to communicate between companion and watch. It's a queue in the OS that communicates between various components; eg, passing the consequences of user inputs through to output objects. So, for example, when a list is scrolled, the OS may send 'draw the item at index 6' to the list view object; followed rapidly by '...index 7...', etc. When a list is long, has images, and is scrolled rapidly, many such requests can be added to the queue in quick succession, and each one may take a while to process.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

List in the problematic example is not long. It has three items.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok guys, thanks for your answers.

@SunsetRunner I would recommend trying both of my suggestions from previous replies. Please, let me know if it will help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It wouldn't surprise me if, deep within the bowels of the OS, each .PNG object were sent its own message to draw itself. Easy to test: use less objects per list item. Presumably objects that are faster to render than images would also be less of a problem.

I've managed to get MS Windows and Android apps to suffer the same problem, but they're harder to break because they've got more memory.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

> It wouldn't surprise me if, deep within the bowels of the OS, each .PNG object were sent its own message to draw itself.

It would actually surprise me a lot if the same queue is being used for both drawing commands issued by SVG rendering subsystem and JerryScript event loop which invokes JS callbacks. It doesn't sound reasonable and is hard to believe in without the strong evidence.

It would be great if the JS event loop mechanics would be covered by official documentation with the same level of detail as it is done for desktop browsers.

So far it seems more realistic that scroll-view behavior is being implemented in JS internally and its animation relies on requestAnimationFrame(). With this assumption made, this error is explained quite easily by animation frame messages (coming with the screen refresh rate) make an event loop queue overflow on heavy scroll-items causing rendering delays. Which is rather an SDK bug as animation frame messages should (1) be processed with a higher priority relative to the normal callbacks as it's done in browsers, and (2) they must be throttled to handle rendering delays gracefully.

Two possible solutions derived from the understanding described above can be suggested to a developer. (1) split 3 huge scroll-view items into multiple items with the smaller height, which will reduce the number of primitives to render in the visible area. (2) Combine the bunch of small icons in the each of the scroll items to the bigger images which should reduce the load on graphics subsystem.

In any case, I believe that "queue overflow" error message is definitely not the thing developer expects to get on the example with no JS at all and such a situation should be treated as a bug.

Best Answer
0 Votes