Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Fitbit as an International Travel Watch

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have owned 2 Fitbit watches over the past 5 years and have been continually disappointed that customers pay a huge amount of money for a device whose features are NOT fully utlisied. My (non burning hot) Ionic and Sense watches both have GPS capabilities but are not programmed to update the time (zone and time) using the GPS satellites when I travel internationally or domestically (to another time zone). As I do not always have access to wifi, the (pathetic) Fitbit watch stays on the old time zone - sometimes for more than 2 days.

Why can't the Fitbit Designers and Programmers utilitise EVERY feature they program into the Watch? They can start with the capability to MANUALLY enter the time and date (if users can set an alarm time, then the programmers should not have too much trouble including a Manual time change feature)? Then, if they provide multiple gigabytes of internal storage, then why can't a user copy and play their own music from the device instead of having to use music app subscriptions?

Lastly, after paying a huge amount for a device like the Sense, why should Fitbit be so greedy to charge any (ie: "Premium") amount for the Premium features?

I look forward to seeing my suggestion integrated into the next Software update.

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

I’d post this in the feature suggestion forum.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/idb-p/features

Sense Activation 11/3/20\IPhone 12 Pro Max\SimpleClockPro Watch Face\Spigen Rugged Armor Pro Case/Band
Best Answer
0 Votes

@mentgsc , you set the time zone within the Fitbit App, not on the device.

In the app tap your profile picture (or initials) -> App settings

Fitbit user since September 2019
Sense2 Sense, Charge3, Android, Windows
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for your advice.
However, if I am overseas without wifi, then the Fitbit can’t sync with my phone app to change the time - that is my huge problem with using a Fitbit overseas.

Stay healthy 🙂
Best Answer

Hi @mentgsc - the issue isn't access to wifi, it's more the corect settings in the Fitbit App.

To change time zone:

In the Fitbit App, click profile photo and App Settings as @LokeAa  says, then

• turn off Automatic time zone
  • turn off Automatic location
  • and Select the time zone you want
  • and sync [which doesn't require wifi]

Note: you will require a data connection on the phone with access to Internet, [or an access to wifi if you can find one somewhere], in order to use the Fitbit App.

This is necessary because the data is stored on the Fitbit servers when syncing and it needs a path to get the data there.

But at least you can set the correct time.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mentgsc   You raise an interesting point about GPS satellites and time.  GPS satellites have atomic clocks onboard.  To the best of my knowledge, Fitbit only uses the position information for its exercise tracking.  Only four current models have built in GPS -- I am removing the Ionic from the list -- I think you are asking A LOT to be able to sync time with the GPS atomic clocks.  You wrote about lack of wi-fi access, but the fundamental issue is internet access to change the time.  The method to have the correct time on a Fitbit is it must sync with an internet capable device.  (Yes, there are still users out there who don't own smartphones and must sync their older devices with their computers.)  There must be ONE way for all Fitbits to sync time, no matter their age.  There is a Feature Suggestion asking for a way to change the time without an internet connection.  Unfortunately, it is Not Currently Planned.  I don't think it is asking too much to set the time manually.  I can personally identify with this issue.  I served in the US Navy before any ships had on board wi-fi.  There are no cell signals in the middle of the ocean.  There was no point in using a Fitbit .

I'm not sure why Fitbit removed the ability to store personal music on the Versa 3 and Sense.  No explanation is available.  I don't know if Fitbit will reconsider this change or not.

Like you, many users are unhappy that certain Premium features are behind a paywall, especially the advance analytics of information we give to Fitbit.  Fitbit doesn't seem to be interested in changing this, either.

Sadly, I don't think any of your requests will be coming in a future update any time soon.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Thank you for your reply. However, according to Fitbit (and personal experience), the time shown on the Fitbit watch must be updated/synched by WIFI from the Fitbit app on my phone. If I do not have access to wifi, then the time shown on the Fitbit watch can never be updated - that is my issue!

As I wrote, if the fitbit watch has the Alarm app that allows manual selection of an alarm time, then why can't the Fitbit programmers include the same "manually change time" feature on the fitbit watch?

Best Answer

@mentgsc  - WiFi is not a requirement for syncing, an Internet connection is.

As all data is time stamped it has to be synchronised.

Allowing a user to put in any time could be very problematic for calculating goals, syncing, etc .

A phone GPS is also required for syncing, why time cannot be derived from that to within 10ns is odd. Perhaps there are no suitable phone hooks to the GPS service on all devices so not reliable on all phones.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for all of the replies - I apologise for stating "wifi" and not "internet" (to me - they refer to the same thing as I do not connect a cable to my phone to access the internet). I read that GPS tracking requires a minimum of 2 (out of 3) data items - one of which is the time. I do not know if the reason that satellites cannot provide an accurate time and timezone to a Fitbit or similar device is because satellites are orbiting in different positions (ignore distances away from Earth) and therefore occupying relatively different timezones?? My main desire is to just be able to manually enter the time (like selecting an alarm time and day). Regards 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mentgsc  - to use GPS it requires a highly accurate clock, which is installed both on the watch and the phone.

However the Fitbit device and phone don't use that clock to keep track of time, just programmed that way.

You can already try the method provided to change the time zone and change it back. It will work, with an Internet connection via the phone's mobile data connection or Wifi..

If you have neither you can't even use the Fitbit App, let alone change time.

What you can also do is change the time before going to the place where there is no Internet, that way it will be working already when you get there.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mentgsc   I do not connect my phone to a cable to access the internet.  I believe all of us who are trying to help you are saying that we access the internet by wi-fi or cellular (mobile) data.  I think you need an international cellular (mobile) data plan for your international travel.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for explaining the use of data vs wifi. Although your suggestion has merits, I would have to spend more money on a new phone with dual sim slots (to also receive home phone calls) and a data plan in each country I visit - This is too expensive when I am suggesting an easy solution is to provide a manual method to change the time without having access to data/wifi - especially if I go to a remote location with no reception.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@mentgsc there is another way of updating time using a mobile phone which I have seen working for other watches. The mobile phone gets time via a cellular network. In most places you're going to be (unless it's a middle of an ocean) there will be a cellular network and with the use of roaming, it will detect local time (no need for data roaming). Fitbit needs a feature of offline sync (of at least some data) just with the app when there is no Internet connectivity. My [another brand] watch changes time instantly when my mobile phone does. This is part of the data that doesn't require speaking to any online server. It's a pure phone <-> watch communication. However, if Fitbit built a synchronization process around online connectivity then it may be more than difficult to provide offline sync.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It`s really interesting question. Thanks for explaining.

Best Answer
0 Votes