Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercise distance consistently wrong using GPS

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I use the Exercise - Run app to record my surf ski paddling sessions. While the map of my route is correct the distance recorded for the route is always understated by 15-20%. I suspect that my pace may also be understated. Paddling a fixed 7.5km route for example, Sense only recorded the route as 6.3km. This course has been checked using Google Maps and also by comparing with other paddlers using Garmins.  As mentioned I use the 'run' exercise as there is no paddling exercise on the fitbit. This uses the GPS and as mentioned the map of the route is fairly accurate. I have been using the sense for 6 months but have really noticed the difference since I have started longer fixed distances races.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Try to use the bike mode. All other modes use the steps by stride calculation for the distance leaving the GPS only to draw the map.

I know it is absurd but Fitbit doesn't want to change its algorithm despite the complains by the community.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Try to use the bike mode. All other modes use the steps by stride calculation for the distance leaving the GPS only to draw the map.

I know it is absurd but Fitbit doesn't want to change its algorithm despite the complains by the community.

Best Answer

@parriwi   I agree with @Giampi71 that the Bike shortcut is a better choice for surf ski.  Fitbit created an Outdoor Workout shortcut, but it is only on the Charge 4 and Luxe.  It is designed for things like kayaking and would be ideal for your surf ski.  Please vote for this Feature Suggestion and leave a comment.

Run isn't a good choice if you also follow your cardio fitness score.  GPS runs are usr to calculate the specific number, instead of providing a range.  Using Run when you surf ski will give you a very wacky number.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hi, I just got back from my first paddle using 'Bike' instead of run.  Did a 7.5km distance as a test and the fitbit measured it accurately (instead of 6.3km previously). Added bonus is that my speed has also increased. Managed to paddle up to 11.5km/h where before I was struggling to get over 10km/h......Bonus speed without extra effort or technique!!!!!    Thanks again for your suggestion

Best Answer
0 Votes