Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Sense shows "Slow Charging" message

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

With every power source I've ever hooked my Sense up to, I get a "Slow Charging" message. What do you do here plug it into 120 AC outlet or something to satisfy its demands?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone!

Thank you for sharing your experience and troubleshooting. If your Sense is not charging, please follow the charging tips in this Fitbit help article Why isn't my Fitbit device's battery charging?

To prevent any confusion, I'm going to close this thread from further comments. Your feedback is truly appreciated and if you have another question, I'd encourage you to create a new topic in the Help Forums. You can also check our help site to learn more about our products and features.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
82 REPLIES 82

@WehuttyWanker yeap. That's what I do. USB- outlet plug straight into the outlet. 😹

Marrrmaduke | Canada
Charge HR, Blaze, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire HR, Versa Lite, Versa SE, Aria

Best Answer
0 Votes

I get the low power message when plugged into a USB supply (5v 2amp) on a domestic plug socket.  Never get the message when I use my mobile phone charging brick though.  Charging brick is a 65w beast though.

Best Answer

Having the same problem - I plug into a 60W usb adapter which fast charges all my other devices. Have opened a case with fitbit but not getting answers. Took over 3 hours to charge to 100% from 43% this morning.

Best Answer

That does not work for me either! No block or brick works! So frustrating!. 

Best Answer

check the contacts are clean on the watch and charge head and its properly seated.

A Sense will charge in about an hour normally. It requires a good 5v supply but only draws a small current [about a 1/3rd of an Amp] - any phone charger should work fine.

Could be a cable issue if persistent.

To verify try SimpleClockDuo.clock face and use the "always on while charging" setting, it should show charging at about 2% per minute if charging correctly, up to about 95%, when it slows for the final top up.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

Not only did I get the slow charging no matter what adapter I used, it always took 5-6 hours to charge my device. After repeated calls and emails I finally was able to obtain a replacement device which works fine.

Best Answer

Mine is brand new and is super temperamental. It takes eight to ten tries to get it to charge properly, then I have to disconnect bluetooth, because if it should dare to vibrate, it is back to slow charging. Sometimes the slightest vibration in the room will kick it into slow charge. I have cleaned contacts on the cable and the device, tried numerous phone bricks which fast charge other devices, USB ports of 1/2/3. This issue is only growing worse. I called customer support and they are going to send me another cable and we'll see if that's the issue. If not, I suspect they'll have to send a replacement. I was surprised to see how common an issue this is. Perhaps it is a design flaw. They should have stuck with the "clamp" chargers.  I shouldn't have to behave like there is a sleeping bear in the house while it is charging!  We'll see if the cable does the trick.

Best Answer

There is definitely a problem and I’d be willing to bet it isn’t the charger. My problem was not with getting the watch to connect to the charger, but with the length of time it took to charge and getting a slow charger indication no matter what I kind of adapter I used. The watch was replaced and all is fine now but it took awhile to get Fitbit to agree to replace the watch. Then I had to mail my watch back and wait for a new watch to ship once mine was received. This took several weeks. In my opinion the new watch should have been shipped before the old one was returned.

Best Answer

I receive the same message no matter how many different wall plugs I use, but they show fast charge on my  Samsung s7 .

I have had the Sense for about 3 Months now.

I have made sure I have the latest updated firmware bla bla bla...

Best Answer

To all @WehuttyWanker, @pjt58, @ccb123 , @JJDiebolt, @TGriff - it seems like an issue with the watches

Rather than wasting time on the issue, its probably best to contact Fitbit Support  directly.They may be able to help you.

Best Answer

Inside the device settings menu (Settings > About Sense > Regulatory Info) it says "Rated: 5.25V DC, 0.5A" which isn't the most common volt/amp combination. My guess is most household charging bricks aren't supplying the right amount of power. I have no idea why devices these days are being shipped without dedicated power bricks, especially ones that have less common power requirements. 😐

Best Answer

@SCSpears   Well spotted.You get my vote.

My guess is this is the maximum rating. My USB meter shows around 5.03V and 300 ma during charging using any charger, though once in a while the watch has shown slow charging but using the SimpleClockDuo watch face which also records the charge duration details it wasn't any longer than usual, against the predicted charge time the watch face displayed at plug in.

In fact the charge time on my Sense is consistent on any USB 2.0 charger.

It would seem that the "slow charging" message is more likely to appear when there is a sub par contact with the charging pins, and cleaning is necessary, than which USB 2.0 charger is used..

The official specification for USB 2.0 is 5v +0.25-0.60v and 0.5A.  So the "Rated: 5.25V DC, 0.5A" seems to refer to the maximum for USB 2.0 power and every USB outlet should produce at least that.

Some fast chargers that produce 20v on the other hand may not negotiate well [a theory] and could produce the slow charging. Any cheap USB 2.0 charger, such as IKEA 3 port charger, older USB 2.0 PC port, seems to work fine, though the more recent fast charge phone chargers may be problematic.

Conclusion, after cleaning the contacts, use the oldest USB 2.0 charger you have, if the slow charging message occurs.

Best Answer

That must be it. To date I have had Fitbit replace both the charging cable and the actual device itself. Right out of the gate I had the same problem. It was so sensitive that anyone walking by would kick it into slow charge, after spending 10 minutes trying to get it to fast charge. I wound up putting it out in the garage to charge after another 10 minutes of trying. (Sometimes it would appear fine and 4 minutes later it would vibrate and go back to slow charge). Since I still have the original unit, I think I am just going to alternate them. They can slow charge at their own pace. I am down to 75% 24 hours after charging it with only bluetooth and no other notifications.  I think this is a design flaw. They should have stuck with the clamps. Frankly, I was disappointed to see this was the way they were going with things when I opened up the box at first.  I wonder if the magnetic fields are interfering with the charging process. Very poor design. If I would have known this was going to be so much of an issue, I probably would not have bought it in the first place, I would have waited until the design team saw how much trouble people like us are having with it and did a redesign. Nonetheless I am going to call customer service and raise an issue with them. They can ship me another one every month until the warrantee goes out, that should get someone's attention.  Who knows? I might wind up with a fluke.. one that charges properly.  

Best Answer

We are not wasting time.   

Fitbit may have an answer they can share. 

Fitbit can review the posts to see the range of issues associated with failed charging. 

Fitbit can see, by reviewing the posts, that their standard responses to this problem are, for the most part, useless. 

Fitbit users who are thinking of upgrading to the Sense can see that the Sense is not worth the cost or trouble.

And since many have posted about their negative and/or pointless experiences with Fitbit support, the option of contacting fitbit support is merely to trade one frustration for another.

I know that your response was identified as the "Best Answer"  and the answer to Wehutty wanker's problem but it has not proven successful for me.

My experience, using all suggestions, charging options and your suggestion:  

- Sense charges 1 - 4 times in a row, no issue;

- Sense does not charge and cleaning allows the charging to proceed;

- Sense not only does not charge but loses charge while providing the "Slow Charging" message

Today, I am at noon having started charging - at least attempting to - my sense.   Every step and charging source has been attempted.  In 4 hours hooked up to the charge cable the Sense has lost roughly 14% of the battery level.  It has been off the cable often, but to provide some perspective of the rate, in the few minutes of writing this post the Sense has lost 2%.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

@down_and_out  If you are on iOS try turning off Bluetooth on your phone. Restart the watch and see how it charges.

If it still loses charge then it may be faulty.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue with my Sense - no matter what USB charger I'm using for the Fitbit charging cable.

I have learned that if I the "slow charging" comes up, I have to re-attach the charging plug again and again - until it actually charges correctly. It might take 10-12 attempts (!) -  the charging plug seems to be very sensitive and act randomly. Changing the USB charger doesn't do much - the same behavior regardless of which one I try and I have great ones for my phone, iPad and other items using USB charging - I've tried them all. Once I do get charging going without the "slow charging" message - it charges pretty fast.

It is very annoying... every time it's time to charge - I take a deep breath and just start attaching attaching attaching until I get the charging icon and not the red "slow charging message" - and then I need to carefully move away and not touch the watch until it is done. If I touch it - I might have to start over again to get the charging going. 

Moderator edit: format. 

Best Answer

I also had the slow charging message and it was truly tested my patience. Decided to order a new charging cable. Upon arrival of the new cable, noticed that my old cable's protruding pin contacts were not raised as much as the new charging cable. I've also tried the alcohol cleaning both the watch and the pins of the old cable, the message still appears and will only disappear once I've fiddled with the cable to get the message extinguished, 

Charged my Sense with the new cable, no slow charging message at all. Let's see how future charges with the new cable goes. This charging issue is annoying though. And so life goes on....

Best Answer

I still get it from a Anker PowerPort PD 2, which should be able to supply this.

Moderator edit: format. 

Best Answer

@mdavidw86- It's nothing to do with the power source, its to do with the connection between the watch and the magnetic charge adapter.

A lot of them have been found faulty. Though just in case make sure the back of the watch is clean, and the 4 pins are equally prominent and gently check the pins spring response, pressing slightly on half way up your nail from the cuticle you should feel an equal and slight spring resistance.

It its faulty get another charge cable under warranty. You can contact Fitbit Support directly. They should be able to send you one.

Best Answer