Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HRV

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

What's your HRV range?  I'm curious to see what other people get with their Sense.

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @FractiousMetal  - this might help. Heart Rate Variability: What It Is and Why It Matters 

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know if different watches show different HRV values, but I got a Charge5 10 days ago and my sleep HRV is consistently right around 15.

Is there any guidance on what a "good" value even is?

Best Answer
0 Votes

After 2 weeks it ranges from 11 to 16. I have nothing to compare it against however. My understanding is it somewhat depends on age as well as fitness level, but it's mostly an indication of your stress level. A low score would mean you spend a lot of time in sympathetic mode which is not good. You want to be in parasympathetic mode.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My HRV fluctuates significantly as indicated by the last 7 day's (11/6/2022 - 11/12/2022) data immediately below.

HRV.jpg

Now, one of the things interesting about the chart (other than it is a typical sine wave) is that it fluctuates so regularly. My exercise routine is that I alternate days at the gym with days of a brisk 35 - 50 minute outside walk. My gym routine is always early AM and always heavy on the cardio. Each of the high HRV days are the night of an early AM gym session. In the chart above, as an example, the 12th which is Saturday 11/12/2022 is for sleep the previous night (Friday/Saturday) and Friday AM was a gym day.

Another interesting point is reflected in the chart below. Although I've always exercised, I was usually very light on the cardio. I started my gym & cardio routine in 9/2021 but didn't buy a Fitbit (I have the Versa 2) until 2/2022. My HRV trend has increased steadily and significantly over the last 10 months. I've always subscribed to the principle that a good goal needs to have measurable results else you need to redefine your goal.

JMark235_0-1668264837060.png

Sorry for all the charts but I used to be an economist and whatever we don't assume we chart.

Since HRV is to some extent a function of age and gender, I will note that I'm 69 and male. I've read that HRV declines with age and is slightly lower for females so consider the above data in relation to your experience accordingly.

I've also read that HRV is related to cardio fitness. For what it is worth, my Fitbit calculated cardio fitness score is 54 - 58. I thought that this was a good score but then Fitbit adds the notation to the score "Excellent for men of your age" so I'm not sure how good it is.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @FractiousMetal welcome, you may find this article How do I track heart rate with my Fitbit device? of interest, there is a long section on HRV.

Cheers

Gr4ndp4 | UK
AWAKE! for morning in the bowl of light has cast the stone that set the stars to flight.

Best Answer
0 Votes