Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sense Incorrect Heart Rate Measurement When Exercising

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had the Sense for about 1 month.  Early on, I noted that the heart rate achieved thru exercise using the same workout tape appeared lower than I achieved with the Ionic and appeared too low given my physiologic response of increased breathing, easy fatiguability etc.  I then began using both the Sense and Ionic when exercising.  I have used both next to each other on the same non dominant extremity and on different extremities adjusting the appropriate device to the appropriate non or dominant extremity.   The results are always the same.   For about the first 10 minutes the Sense under estimates my heart rate as recorded on the Ionic by 25 to 40 beats per minute.   At times, the Ionic has had my HR at about 150 which is close to my maximum while the Sense shows 105-110 range.  After 10 minutes, the Sense and Ionic essentially give the same HR as the HR measured by the Sense rises to the Ionic level.

I chatted with a representative from Fit bit who stated: (1) the two devices measure HR differently and (2) there is no way to calibrate or recalibrate the Sense.

If the Sense is really underestimating HR by 20-40 beats per minute during initial exercise, it stands to reason that there is a risk that an individual could exercise in a dangerous HR level without knowing it.

This issue needs to be resolved.

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Found this you tube report on same heart rate issue with sense.   This problem needs to be fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-u8VTmeDF0

In this video I test the heart rate accuracy of the Fitbit Sense; I found some very specific problems. Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/quantified_scientist/ Twitter: @QuantifiedRob Website: www.robterhorst.com 👇Amazon Affiliate* (paid) links. Supports the channel, doesn't cost you any more!👇
Best Answer

I have observed the same issue when comparing my new Sense to my Versa 2.  This also impacts the calculation of the calorie burn.  This issue needs to be corrected asap as it is significant.

Best Answer

I am trying to monitor this situation and it appears to me that the sense as it stands now is 3 to 5 minutes behind on its monitoring and 2-3 minutes slow on uptake.  I have noticed that after ending an excercise wherever I stopped it continues to remain at wherever I ended for 2-3 minutes then starts a downward slope to normal within about 2-3 minutes so I just sit down and wait to stop the excercise until the heartbeat goes back to normal.  That seems to compensate for the slow uptake.

Best Answer
0 Votes