Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sense battery casing cannot be opened

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Dear Fitbit Community
I've been a Fitbit fan for at least a decade. I purchased my Fitbit Sense, with the Heart Monitor in12/20. No doubt it's a great smartwatch. However, less than 2 years later, my Sense Smartwatch stopped working and I assumed the battery died.

After a series of emails and calls to the "Fitbit Support Team" the only response I recevied was a smarmy sales pitch to purchase another Fitbit Sense for a reduced price of 35% off. I was stunned. No explanation was provided. Just, "Hey buy another watch from FItbit!"

No offer to replace the battery, run a diagnostic test, nothing.

I paid $300 for this particular Fitbit Sense, and it lasted less than 2 years. As a person on a fixed income, this was a major purchase for me,

What I subsequently found out is that Fitbit does not offer a battery replacement for the Sense. In fact, it seals the battery asing so it is inacessible, and has a built-in an issue that drastically curtails the life of its so-called "Smartwatch." Additionally, I discovered there are batteries for the Fitbit Sense Smartwatch, around $15, but the labor to open the casing is likely to be in the $100's.

This lack of Fitbit customer support to stand behind its product has left me without a needed wellness tool, and I will never buy another Fitbit Watch.

Moderator edit: all-caps

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

The third party extended warranty would have covered this.

Instead of opening a repair department, fitbit has chosen to offer discounts. The plus is that the user may choose to update. 

As for battery replacement, the cost of the battery won't include labor. 

Do a search, their are companies that will replace the battery. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

See below.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for your response!

I did not get the extended warranty since nothing I read in the sales literature stated the battery case does not open.  I will venture to say most Consumers, especially Seniors on  a fixed income would have benefitted from that information were it clearly stated in the sales content.  Moreover, most folks who purchase the Fitbit Sense do so for the Heart Monitor, ECG Reading, and its other useful functions that benefit elderly.

As far as "...searching for companies that will replace the battery," I already did that.  I discovered Cell Phone repair places can access the battery, and the labor is likely $50 - $100.  The cost of the battery is negligible.

Again, I have been with Fitbit for almost a decade.  I purposely chose Fitbit over an Apple Smartwatch because I believed in the quality and operations of the product, as well as the integrity of the company.  

Not only do I no longer feel that way, I wonder if Fitbit purposely neglected to let Consumers know (in the sales content that read,) the battery can only be replaced if you purchase the extended warranty. And why would I purchase another Fitbit Sense at a 35% discount, knowing the battery will once again die in less than two years, and I'd be forced to purchase the warranty at an extra cost to maintain the watch in working order.

It's like Fitbit is saying, We built the case to be sealed and the battery to fail in less than 2 years and will upsell the warranty since it is required to replace the battery

Absurd and punitive.

Best Answer

Hi @TeriPDX  page 75 of the Sense user manual states that it is a rechargeable battery. The Zip, which is now discontinued, stated it had a replaceable button battery. The information was available. My Samsung Galaxy 4 had a battery that I could replace. The Samsung 8 that I have now is sealed and I can't replace the battery. The Sense wouldn't be water resistant once the case was popped open and it can't be resealed as it was from the factory. To get a new battery in the Sense, you'd pay half the price of buying a new one. 

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

@TeriPDX   Why so much fuss over the battery when it has never been diagnosed as a faulty battery. Check the cable and make sure all 4 prongs are equally prominent. It may be the charger.

Sense Activation 11/3/20\IPhone 12 Pro Max\SimpleClockPro Watch Face\Spigen Rugged Armor Pro Case/Band
Best Answer

Well, @Clove6060, I did check the cable, clean the prongs with alcohol, essentially did what I knew to do to get my watch charged, and it did not.

You make my point exactly: I called Fitbit Support for help with diagnosing, fixing, restoring my Sense Smartwatch, and instead of offering to help with the issue, they offered me 35% off on a purchase of a new watch.  That what "all the fuss' is about."

I have to wonder if the CEO of Fitbit would accept such terms were he in my situation.

Best Answer

Hi @TeriPDX  as @Clove6060  says it is unlikely to be a battery fault.

There are many reports of watches not charging in the forums, and it is most often a cleaning issue or charge cable fault, sometimes the power source. 

Check the cable more carefully and try using a pc as power source, at least you will know if the pc recogniss the devic or not.

Also make sure you clean in the holes on the back of the watch with a non metallic item such as a tooth brush or wooden tooth pic and rubbing alcohol so as to not damage the contacts.

The other error that can occur is it gets water in the watch so if it never got wet this won't be an issue.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

Dear Guys and Gals,

It has become painfully clear that the maintenance of the charging ports on the Sense and its Charger are impediments to the watch's operation.  I now have to perform cleaning maintenance on my Sense almost every week: swap the back of the Sense and the prongs on the charger, otherwise my Sense smartwatch will not charge.  That may be the real price of a smartwatch, with an encased battery.

I have been such a fan of Fitbit for over a decade, but their lack of respect in their response to my issue left its mark, and I never want to deal with their so called customer service again.

This year, I will be shopping for an Apple smartwatch, and yes it also has an encased battery, and yes, I may have to swipe it with alcohol every week, but if something does wrong, Apple takes care of its customers.  I cannot say the same for Fitbit.

Best Answer

According to website ifixit.com/teardown/Fitbit....it can be done. Just very complicated and uses special tools.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rkmacc not everyone has a steady hand and good eye, not to mention some specialty tools. There are places that will do the work for the owner, but that involves bench fees and labor. A few who have replaced their own batteries or screens have commented that it would have been cheaper to just get another device when it's on sale. 

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

I think the point @TeriPDX is making is that a $300 smartwatch should last longer than 2 years.  What is being described has happened to both my Sense and my wife's after only 14 months. Another commenter referred to water damage. The Sense is supposed to be water resistant and I suspect mine has stopped working due to sweat damage (I don't use it for swimming or even in the shower).  Not a great look for a fitness watch.

Best Answer

Heard that. I kinda believe this Google God hopes they can run their present customers off and raise prices for the ones already  in to deep. The fixed income you mentioned barely covers my day to day bills. So leave Fitbit or just buy a new one one every 1-1.5 to two years. I feel this is Google again screwing up a steel ball. 

Best Answer

My sense just died after purchasing it 14 months ago. Like all of you, I am very disappointed. You spend $300 on fitness watch and it only last 14 months. Unacceptable!!! Last week the battery lasted less than 12 hours. Today it stopped working. I never did get 6 plus days of use on a single charge. I was lucky to get 2 days on a charge.

Yesterday I sent a email to Fitbit asking them to send me a new Fitbit sense. The answer I got "you are past your warranty but we will give you 35% off on a new one. They are crazy if they expect me to purchase another Fitbit product.  I checked some online reviews many people are having the same problem. I will be telling everyone I know about my experience with my Fitbit and recommending they do not purchase any Fitbit product. Plus I will be completing reviews recommending not to purchase Fitbit products. 

Best Answer

Just an update. I changed the battery in my Sense (it’s quite easy) and the issue remained. So it could be another issue where the battery is getting drained by a dyfunctional watch component, firmware or software. 

Best Answer

Hi @Beezboy -  thanks for the feedback confirming in fact it is a short or some other dysfunctional part causing the excessive drain.

People generally tend to think it is a battery problem when it is not, which is why replacing the battery is rarely the solution, But well done for doing the leg work on this.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
Well, the good news is, you’ve clarified the fact that the Fitbit watch CAN
be opened and easily at that.

Having gone through the same experience many others have, what I’ve
recently realized is it might be the charging mechanism provided with the
sense.

I purchased a stand up Fitbit charger, and it charges my Fitbit with no
issues. It’s simple physics. I tried my old Fitbit on there, which has been
dead for over a year and it still did not charge, which may have been a
component!

With the new stand charger, the prongs don’t slip back into the shell of
the charger, nor do they break off inside the watch.

I’m trying to be as fair as possible, but I’m also wondering if it is a
component in inside the sense I have to wonder how many people have had the
same problem as we have and if the company is aware of it, should they have
done a recall?

In any case, I’m glad you traveled, where others have feared to tread.
It’s very good information! Thank you 🙏
--
Teri ~
Best Answer

Re: "I’m trying to be as fair as possible, but I’m also wondering if it is a
component in inside the sense I have to wonder how many people have had the
same problem as we have and if the company is aware of it, should they have
done a recall?"

Could it be a certain batch of Sense?

Your Sense was less than 2 years old. RobWW (above) said his lasted 14 months. Both my wife and I had Senses that worked for 14 months. Ours were bought together.  My brother-in-law bought his six months earlier and it's still going strong!

So perhaps QC was not so great for a particular batch. It would certainly be interesting to know if they had the same lot number! Anyone know how to find out?

Dave

Best Answer

My Sense just died 2 weeks ago, I bought it November 26, 2021 so it has been about 20 months. I bought a different charger, assuming it was my charger that had died. I had already cleaned everything to make sure it wasn't that. The new charger didn't charge it so I finally realized it was probably the battery and was dismayed to find that it had to be replaced so soon (under 2 years seems soon to me.) To know how hard it is to personally change it or how expensive it is to have a third party change it is amazing to me. It seems it was built to be totally disposable. Horrible from a consumer standpoint not to mention an environmental standpoint. I also won't be buying fitbit products again and as with the OP I have been using Fitbit products for over a decade.

Best Answer

Hey Dreasimy,

I'm with you 100%.  Same, exact, experience.  After making such a weighty investment, the issue with the battery life kinda feels like a scam. I won't be purchasing Fitbit products in the future, and my bet is some savvy company is going to make a smart watch with an open casing to easily replace the battery!  

I mean, I can replace the battery on my computers. This design is not at all consumer friendly, and as a result, its price point is inflated.

Thanks for your post!

Best Answer