Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sense is dead after swimming

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi There, 

I swam in Sense for the first time today and now the dammed thing is dead. I thought it was waterproof! What's going on?

Cheers 

Jason.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Hi @JasonTimmins -  unfortunately the seals are not very reliable, and can degrade over time.

If your watch has water in it don't charge it as it may get hot and that can be dangerous.

If it's still under warranty, 1 to 2 years depending on country law, take it back to where you bought it for replacement.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

I jumped in a pool on Monday afternoon with my Sense and within an hour it was dead!  (I normally do not wear in the water.)  Why have a swimming icon on the watch if it kills it?  Unfortunately Fitbit's response was that they "were sorry I was disappointed and inconvenienced."  They offered a 35% discount on a new one.  Really??!!  I guess they're disposable...

Best Answer

Hi @CarolRydz  - if your watch is outside warranty, 1 to 2 years depending on country law, the only other option is to dry it in a bag of rice for a week, especially if you haven't charged it which can do more damage.

If it gets hot when charging stop immediately because it's dangerous.  But best to wait a week before trying.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks. They never mentioned for me to try.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Same here.

It's a dirty trick of fitbit company. 

Best Answer

Same here.  Dead and the best I can get is a 35% discount on their store to spend more unreliable equipment?  That doesn't seem like a smart move.  Unless Fitbit decides to do the right thing, I'll be looking for more reliable hardware/software.

Best Answer

Same thing happened to me this past week, while on vacation. I never get my Sense wet (shower or otherwise), but jumped in the pool and was playing with my kiddo. Not even 15 minutes in the water (keeping in mind it was not submerged the entire time either), I went to check the time. Screen would not turn on, then finally the Fitbit logo flashed (as if I was restarting it), then a rainbow static screen froze on it, and then it went black. I immediately took it in, dried and cleaned it, and it vibrated once for about 5 seconds... then absolutely nothing after that. 

I called Fitbit that same day and because I've only had my watch for 5 months, they immediately replaced it (along with my charger cable that wasn't charging) -- the new pebble / charging cord was received in 3 days. 

This is my 4th Fitbit -- first was the original version that I only replaced to have an updated watch, second was the Ionic that ended up burning my wrist and was recalled, and third / 4th is this Sense. I used to really love this brand, but now I'm growing leary. While I'm happy they replaced this one so quickly, what happens when I'm no longer under warranty? And I guess I can't wear it in the water, even though they claim you can -- I just wish they wouldn't call the watch water resistant if 15 minutes of splashing is going to kill it. 

Best Answer

According to Fitbit "Most Fitbit devices are water-resistant to 50 meters. They're designed to be swimproof" so playing in the pool for 15min should be totally fine.  I was in water for about 10-15min right on the surface and mine died as well.  I never showered with it before hand, never even went into the water with it before either. I'm glad yours was within the warranty and able to get a replacement.  Mine was a month before it's 2nd birthday so they wouldn't do anything other than give me a 35% coupon for the Fitbit store to buy another unreliable watch.  From the reviews I've read the Fitbit store has its own slew of problems and delays of its own.  I really want Fitbit to succeed, but sadly their policies show that they have very little faith in their products.

Best Answer

Yeah, I've been a fitbit user since 2013 and I really liked my Zip. This is my first 'fancy' fitbit and I'm sad that it died the first time it went in water.

Customer services have done right by me, they're just sending me a new one, no questions asked. 

I am, however, tempted to put the new one in water straight away to ensure that this one is, in-fact, waterproof. The spec says they should be waterproof and I'm prepared to keep getting replacements until they send one that actually is! 

Cheers 

Jason. 

Best Answer