Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sense is tracking too many floors

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello!

About 1-2 months ago my Sense device suddenly stopped counting floors. I tried troubleshooting what I could - I restarted my device and also deleted the app and re-installed it.

A few days ago it suddenly started counting floors again. However, from today it started extremely counting floors. I have 126 which is not possible at all.

I tried looking through the forums and even checked other sties. it seems there is no fix. Is that true? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

@DavidCalabrese There's really nothing you can do about the floor counts, whether too high or too low. Mine are usually spot on, but I live in a very flat place and I don't get big swings in weather/temperature (barometric pressure). 

The good news is that floors do not impact your calorie burn or your steps or any other metric. Floors are a stand-alone metric so you can ignore them for the most part unless you are an avid hiker that likes to see elevation gain. I like to see my floor count, however, I recognize the information is basically useless unless I'm hiking. 

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

Hi there, @DavidCalabrese. Welcome to the Fitbit Community Forums. Thanks for trying to troubleshoot the issue with your Sense before reaching out. @Heather-S Thanks for your help!

As you may know, your device has an altimeter which is a sensor that calculates altitude based on atmospheric pressure to track your floors. However, your device may give you credit for extra floors while doing everyday tasks such as opening doors, driving, AC, or riding elevators or escalators, or from abrupt weather and atmospheric pressure changes. Exposure to excess moisture can also result in extra floors.

If the above doesn't describe your issue, please make sure to have your Fitbit updated to the latest version. Also restart your Fitbit to correct any misbehavior, wear it snug on your wrist and monitor its behavior.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

My sense started to do this too a while back. Interesting is how my old versa 2 is still spot on with the measurements (unfortunately has the same random flashing screen bug like my old charge 3 which drains battery it top of making it look like a 90’s disco accessory)

It is a app called “altimeter” you can install on both and monitor what the sensor is measuring and is clear on the sense one is just reading all over the place with no firmware filtering or averaging whatsoever (versa 2 readings are very stable). Not to mention floor increase should not be counted without simultaneously clear increased readings of heart rate (as not to be fake counted due “extra floors while doing everyday tasks such as opening doors, driving, AC, or riding elevators or escalators, or from abrupt weather and atmospheric pressure changes”) and I seem to gain floors by sleeping with consistently low HR. Just (intentional?) really bad firmware implementation

And again, my versa 2 is extremely accurate (created a duplicate account and was wearing both for a week with hiking daily. Even compared with a gps tracker)

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Heather-S it only points to a faulty sensor/device or plainly bad firmware 

Just look how many sense users reported this without practically no answer from the manufacturer 

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Sense/Sense-is-counting-too-many-floors/m-p/4651355#M11908

Best Answer
0 Votes

Last week my wife, my daughter and I had a 13 km long walk along a river (in a flat area) and this was our setup:

My wife - Fitbit Sense - 426 floors

My daughter - Fibit Luxe - 13 floors

Myself - Withings scanwatch - 4 floors

"nuff to say.

Formerly Giampi71 - Retired from Fitbit for good on November 13th 2023
Best Answer

You need to check for her with local authorities... That's over 4000 feet and you may have to register her sense with local air traffic control 

🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dopovo Fitbit Luxe doesn't have a floor counter at all, so your daughter's 13 floors is not possible. 

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Right, my mistake, just checked, not sure how I remembered her floors then.

Update: I just had a conversation with her, she thinks she gave me the distance rather than the floors as she misunderstood what I asked her, indeed the distance matched in all devices with an approx of few hundred meters

Formerly Giampi71 - Retired from Fitbit for good on November 13th 2023
Best Answer
0 Votes