Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sense ECG app availability in Finland

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

March 2021, and the ECG app is still not available in Finland. All I get from fitbit support is very general answers, such as "it is still pending approval", and absolutely no estimate of when this will come, or the reason why it is available in other European countries, but not Finland. I think fitbit should have more consideration for costumers who paid so much more for this feature.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I opened up a suggestion to enable ECG across EU. You can go vote for it here: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Make-ECG-available-in-all-EU-countries/idc-p/494...

As to the reason why not all countries are supported by Fitbit, I'm guessing translation and maintenance of instructions to each countries official languages may be one reason. Where can we volunteer to translate the instructions found here: Click here for local users' manuals

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

I remember with Withings EU approval for ECG was across all EU countries. Usually the FDA in the US is behind as it is now with Withings Scanwatch. I would contact regulatory authorities in Finland, perhaps they know something? 

Best Answer

@Edu81 - I understand your frustration but it is not a matter of Fitbit having more consideration. This feature cannot be released in a country until that county authorizes its use. Fitbit has no control over a country’s approval process. You can check this list. It is updated as more countries approve the ECG for use. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there any estimation when we could have it in Finland. One purpose was ecg why I bought this expensive watch.. No use 😭

Please speed things up 

Best Answer

@HannaLehari - Fitbit has no control over this and cannot say when your government will approve it. As another Fitbit customer here, I have not heard any rumors regarding when this will happen. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If Fitbit cannot get the approval or have an estimate for when it will be available, then they should not start selling the product to the customers. Other companies such as Withings and Apple have their ECG watches up and running... Just saying...

Best Answer

@Edu81 - Fitbit clearly lists in the sales documentation  ( Store > All Features  > More Details) which countries have given approval ... just saying .... and it really does not matter which countries have granted approval for other brands, in my opinion. But I’m just another Fitbit user. Have you voiced your opinion to your government licensing agencies? They are the ones who could answer your question regarding timing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Where are you with this? Hiw can other brands sell these with ecg but fitbit still not working. Most inportant feature why i bought it and unable to use. Please some official information on it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why would consumer do the work for fitbit?

Best Answer

Fitbit Sense got the European Union CE-approval for the ECG feature in Autumn 2020. As a consequence, the ECG feature was made available in many of the EU countries, but not Finland, even though Finland is a member of the EU. Thus, Finland should be covered by the EU's CE approval, and thus I have a hard time believing that Fitbit is waiting for a separate approval from Finland. I also bought the watch over a year ago for the ECG feature - understanding that it might take a couple of months until the approval is received - and it was received (CE approval) in Autumn 2020, but a year later, still no ECG feature in Finland... Feels that Fitbit doesn't have enough focus / resources / money to roll it out to more countries? But happily taking the money from the watch buyers.

Best Answer

Not true Carol, that is not how medical device regulation works in the EU.

If a medical device is CE marked in one member country of the EU, it can be marketed throughout the EU. Fitbit does not need to go through separate approval with Finland.

I would very much like to hear the real reason why this feature has not rolled out here?

Best Answer

I purchased my Fitbit Sense in January 2021. And correct, I was aware that the ECG is not available for Finland yet at that moment. However, Fitbit Sense got the CE approval from the European Union now nearly a year ago, and communicated they start rolling it out to the countries. Thus, as a consumer, could I reasonably assume that Finland would be added to the list shortly, since the EU approval was given, and Finland is an EU country. I would say yes. Now nearly a year later, it's still not available in Finland. A case for the consumer ombudsman. 

Best Answer

I opened up a suggestion to enable ECG across EU. You can go vote for it here: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Make-ECG-available-in-all-EU-countries/idc-p/494...

As to the reason why not all countries are supported by Fitbit, I'm guessing translation and maintenance of instructions to each countries official languages may be one reason. Where can we volunteer to translate the instructions found here: Click here for local users' manuals

Best Answer

Thanks, Rasmus, voted! Funny though, to have to make a feature suggestion for something that kind of exists, but Fitbit just hasn't activated it... Whatever Fitbit's reason, I would like them to be honest about it, instead of just hiding behind "the local authorities haven't approved it yet"... Undermines any credibility...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi , I also voted. I have waited now a year. So frustrating that we have to do this. This should be their top priority to keep services open as advertised. AS the latest and expencivest models.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I suspect an issue with patents and licensing fees in Finland, as most other EU and Nordic countries already have the feature enabled. I would buy the new Charge 5 with a working ECG but as it is, it’s a no go. Somehow Withings and Apple have got a similar feature working in Finland.

Best Answer

Guys,

Any idea when it will be available in India ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Patent and licensing fees in Finland? I don't see how that would be reason (exactly because others have ECG available in Finland). The Finnish authorities also confirmed that they don't have anything pending regarding Fitbit Sense (never had) - they also confirmed that with the EU's CE certification, Fitbit would be able to just roll it out also in Finland without any further/additional accreditation. Thus, it seems to be simply Fitbit's decision to not make it available in all EU countries (don't understand why), while still charging the same price.

Best Answer

Guys, Any idea when it will be available in India

Best Answer
0 Votes

This thread is marked as solved, which is obviously is not!!!

I made my decision to finally skip Fitbit as they are not doing anything about it. I bought Fitbit Sense in January because I have a heart condition with frequent Atrial fibrillation episodes and needed a smartwatch with ECG and as I noticed that it is approved in EU. That means it is approved in Finland also. But still not ECG app available here... Yesterday, I ended my premium subscription and bought a Smartwatch, which is a new model and still immediately works perfectly with ECG, Afib recognition and even sleep Apnea recognition. Very interesting that they can do it with a new model but Fitbit can not!  will now sell my Fitbit Sense to someone here that do not need ECG. Good bye!

Best Answer