Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sense new firmware popup message

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi.

I got a message on my Fitbit iOS app that there is a new firmware update for it.

I am afraid to update. Each time Fitbit release an update, there are a lot of bugs and devices getting bricked. I had this experience with my Ionic device.

So, what is all about? I looked on the changelog and it says nothing about the fixes and features updated.

I will hold until there will be no issues after this release.

Thanks

Julian

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

Hi @lucaiuli - this is good advice - if you don't know what an update, firmware or Fitbit App, is intended to do, there is a risk of it stopping something that is currently working, besides not fixing your issue, if you have one. Wait till there is an announcement of what is affected before modifying things.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

You will have a long wait, Fitbit reports 'bug fixes and performance updates' but I haven't seen any specifications mentioned before 😊

But this update is a weird one because it is rolling out (I updated yesterday) but still no official announcement. 

Tracking my health and movements with Fitbit from april 2014, now using a Sense 2™
Best Answer

Thank you.

I am waiting for your feedback after a week or two. If it is stable, then I will update also.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Reading around here in this forum, I see this updated has bricked a lot of people's watches...

Best Answer

This one, or the previous one?

I see posts with issues way back in time. I just got the update message yesterday.

As I said, I've been burned with my Ionic being bricked and I had a long conversation with support and finally got it replaced.

I am with fitbit since 2013 starting with their first Flex device and I simply can't switch to anything 🙂 even though I can download my fitbit data from their servers I can't switch 🙂

Everytime I went and bought their top product just to be sure I will get to have it for some years to come, but it looks like their buggy firmware updates makes impossible to keep the device working for long periods of time...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, 

I've installed it without any problem.

BTW since I use Fitbit, I always installed the actual firmwares and there was no issue with them except for one case long ago when Google modified the Android Bluetooth implementation. But it was years ago. 

Best Answer

Installed it without issue.

Best Answer

@lucaiuliyes the latest one. Many reports from the last couple of days,  as you can see in this forum.

Best Answer

Good to hear that, @MattJ71  and @Gusthy 

As I said, I had ugly experience with my Fitbit Ionic being completely bricked by their firmware update and went through nightmares with support back and forth. I am waiting still to update my Sense.

Glad you had no issues! 🤞🏻

Best Answer
0 Votes

My update went smoothly without any issues.

Best Answer

Isralled without issue, also. Put watch on charger, place phone near watch, start update, don't interrupt it. The image shows what was changed.

Edit: Lastly, restarted the watch and phone once the update completed,

20220812_080512.jpg

Best Answer

Thanks.

Yes. The update process may be smoothly and without issue, but that doesn't mean that the issues won't come after that. I just don't trust it for now...

My Sense is working normal now and I don't have any issues with it. Plan to stay this way for a while.

Thank you for your reports @Gunnerp245  and @Oopee 

Best Answer
0 Votes

No sleepscore/sleep stages before and after the update. 

IMG_20220812_191612.jpg

Tracking my health and movements with Fitbit from april 2014, now using a Sense 2™
Best Answer
0 Votes

I installed this update yesterday for my Sense. It took about half an hour. 

I had great hopes that it would solve my problems with Bluetooth connectivity, but, alas, it didn't change anything. However, it didn't cause any harm either, 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The update message appeared yesterday. I was busy and delayed till today. Charge was down to 12%. I charged it to 30% before applying the update. During setup I had setup the Wi-Fi connection. This eliminates the issues I had updating my Blaze. The update took less then 10 minutes.

What is in the update is posted by Fitbit. It took a bit to find. What's changed in the latest Fitbit OS update? It looks like I received the 5.3 and 5.3.1 fix. The main reason I see for the update is the security part. The minor feature additions currently are of no interest to me.

This is my sixth Fitbit device. Only my first device, the Fitbit One, ever bricked during an update. The Blaze is the only one to have issues with connecting to do the update. This was the first update I have seen for the Sense. It is possible that the setup after the screen was repaired pulled in a newer update than the initial setup when I purchased it several months ago.

Since the 5.3.1 fix was issued, it is likely that the update should work for you. However, if you update through your phone, rather than through Wi-Fi, your phone could cause a problem, like mine did for the Blaze.

Best Answer
0 Votes