Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sense stuck in setup

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I got a new Sense and have tried to pair it with a windows 10 device as it would not connect with my Samsung a11 phone at all.  It will complete the setup process on the computer app side, but afterwards continues to only show the download the app message on the Sense itself.  I have tried various combinations of restarting the Sense and my computer, disabling and re-enabling bluetooth, and removing and re-adding the Sense to the list of detected bluetooth devices to no avail.

From what I have read, reinstalling the Fitbit app may force a firmware update, but it doesn't seem to trigger one.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I think I finally got it.

CS wanted to check if I had the correct version of the app, which I did not.  So I reinstalled the app while on the line with them, and it installed 3.37 from the google play store.  After restarting the phone, I tried installing it again and it changed to 3.37.1.  Reinstalling the updated app did not allow it to connect on its own.  I was advised to try again in the morning if the update did not fix it, to see if it was some kind of bug somewhere.

Instead, I went into the phone app settings and began to just change things sort of randomly with the Fitbit app.  After changing the battery setting to never power save, and manually editing all of the connectivity permissions to be allowed, it was finally able to pair with the phone.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
27 REPLIES 27

For the Samsung A11 - Its a bug in the last update for Android phones.

For the computer, did you add the device in the Fitbit App?

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

There isn't a firmware update for the Sense, so its ok to add the latest firmware at setup time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I can link the device through the Fitbit App, it can sync and gives a check mark when it does and defaults back to the download the app message.

Best Answer

Did you factory reset your watch? If so there is no firmware on the watch but the app probably thinks its talking to a fully functional watch. It needs to be setup again. Use Add device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do you factory reset a device that does not go to a menu prompt?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I might have misunderstood you.  I have tried unpairing and pairing it again following a computer restart and it is still stuck.

Best Answer

What is displayed on the watch exactly?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The multiple languages, "To start, download the Fitbit app" notice.

When I try to connect, it will give me the four numbers and connect like normal.  It will give a check.  It will show a wifi icon during wifi setup.

After completing the setup step, it defaults to, "To start, download the Fitbit app." notice.

Best Answer

I can manually sync it through the app on the computer, it will give a check mark, then default back to the download the app notice.

Best Answer

"To start, download the Fitbit app." notice.

What this means is its waiting for the App to go through the setup of a new watch procedure.

You can't do this from a phone because of the bug.

But if you can connect using your computer and have the option to add a device, only then remove the one thats there and add a new one which will start loading the firmware needed for the watch to work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just tried to use add a device to replace the existing device, it connected, asked for wifi access, then defaults the download the app notice.

Tried to remove the Sense from being connected to the app, turned off bluetooth, restarted the computer, turned bluetooth back on, and connect again. It asked for wifi access, then defaults to the download the app notice.

Tried to remove the Sense from being connected to the computer manually.  Removed it from being connected to the app.  Disabled Bluetooth on the computer.  Restarted the computer.  Restarted the Sense.  Turned on the Bluetooth on the computer.  Followed the steps and paired it to the app on the computer.  After asking for wifi, it still defaults to the download the app notice and is otherwise unusable.

I'll have to try any further suggestions in the morning, but so far I'm hoping that whatever the bug is with the phone connection is what is causing this problem and it just works tomorrow for some unknown reason.

Best Answer

Brilliant bit of troubleshooting, thanks for the good feedback.

One thing to look out for is only one Bluetooth pair, so make sure no other devices around.

Also make sure watch is being charged when you do this. It needs at least 25% battery before you start.

And will need a 2.4 GHz WiFi connection and password.

Hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also not sure the Windows App even allows a full setup, including loading Firmware, so it might not be possible to do anything until the phone App is fixed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

One more option you can try to load the firmware.

Connect the charge cable to the watch and plug into the computer.

It might just allow the transfer by USB, would be interesting to know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Was able to connect and check if the firmware could update through the computer, and it could.  It just says that it is up-to-date (Ver 44.7.5.5), and otherwise does not change the situation.

I have had the device plugged in during several pairing attempts, both to an outlet usb and one connected to the computer, and have had my phone off.  I have not initiated the pairing process without the device being >99% charge.

I am able to setup and connect it to wifi, but only if I do it when prompted during the setup.  If I select the option to connect later, it will no longer recognize any connections.  It briefly shows a wifi symbol during the process, then defaults to the download the app message.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great work.  Thanks for all that.

Not sure it loaded the firmware though, as that's not the latest, which is 44.128. 4.17

You normally only need WiFi to load the firmware, or even through the USB. Have another go. You may need to add the device after you clicked on profile photo 

And possibly remove the current device first, if it doesn't load the firmware.

Once the firmware is loaded the sense should show a clock. It can take a while.

The rest of the time it should connect to your computer by Bluetooth or possibly USB.

Catch up with this tomorrow. Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried about five more times to get it to connect.  After selecting to check if the sense is up-to-date the first time each day, the option to verify that it is up to date is not able to be located until the following day. (The button to verify is either hidden or removed from the user interface in the app.)  I have also tried leaving it on and plugged into the computer overnight in the hopes that it would at some point update, but it has not.

I should clarify, I have been trying to get it to update the firmware since I first got it last Friday. I have performed the basic troubleshooting steps every day multiple times and have been on the phone with two different CS reps earlier this week.  I cannot get the device to recognize it needs to update, and I do not seem to be able to force a factory reset until it goes to a menu.

Hopefully the bug fix enables it to connect, otherwise I feel like I have thoroughly exhausted the basic troubleshooting methods.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for a brilliant bit of investigative work and good reporting and patience, great work.

The check for update [in Help & support in the phone app] doesn't do much unless CS has forced the update to you - its an ongoing issue I have raised with them. It may be also be the same for the Windows version.

Did you ask CS to force the update to you, and if the Windows Fitbit Connect app can then upload it via USB, or Wifi?

There are still a few options left open to you worth trying.

A watch restart, press and hold the button for 10 seconds until the logo appears, though I expect you've done that, and more!

As the Fitbit Connect can see the watch over Bluetooth, have you tried installing a clock face, it might just remove the message on the watch and continue using the currently loaded firmware.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ill try contacting CS in order to get them to force the update tomorrow, that seems like something new to try at the very least, which is a good start!

In the help and support section, there is indeed another update selection, but it still just reads that the sense is up to date.

When I go to the clock faces, it just shows a blank square, and places at the bottom to add new faces.  Selecting those brings up a menu to get new watch faces, but trying to pick some at random to install just leaves an interface that is making a loading circle appear perpetually.  At the very least, it has not seemed to change in the last 20 minutes

Best Answer
0 Votes