Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swimming

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When I swim in the morning, it is exercise and back/forth in the pool for 20-30 little laps. I set the water lock for this and it works fine - bit tricky to turn off but not bad and it logs how far I swam along with the laps. My question though is about general swimming - I often garden and in summer get hot, so drop into the pool for a few minutes to cool off. Should I put the water lock on or is it like the Versa which is waterproof?

My other question is the Exercise tab - if I click that to workout and do the workout from the iPad, it logged it twice. Should I just forget the watch when I do the workout on another device?

I also use the 'outdoor' tab for mowing/general gardening. I am not sure what others use it for but wonder if this is what the tab was meant for.

I am loving getting to know that new Fitbit.

Kate

Gardener Kate
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, @katecopsey , your "Sense is water-resistant up to 50M

Environmental conditions

Operating temperature

14° to 113° F
(-10° to 45° C)

Non-operating temperature

-4° to 14° F
(-20° to -10° C)

113° to 140°F
(45° to 60° C)

Charging temperature32° to 95° F
(0° to 35° C)
Water resistanceWater resistant up to 50 meters
Humidity rangeWhile Fitbit Sense can operate in humidity conditions between 0% and 100%, we recommend not operating in conditions over 60% for prolonged periods of time.
Maximum operating altitude28,000 feet
(8,534 m)

You may also find this article useful Can I swim or shower with my Fitbit device? 

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Gr4ndp4 | UK
AWAKE! for morning in the bowl of light has cast the stone that set the stars to flight.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

Hi @katecopsey  - the idea of the water lock is only to stop accidental actions being performed by the water passing over the screen or button.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

So the Sense is waterproof as an item and I can take a quick cool down dip without damaging it and without the water lock on? My concern was that the screen would be damaged by water if the lock was not on. From what you are saying that is not going to happen. 

Thanks

Gardener Kate
Best Answer
0 Votes

@katecopsey  - yes, however some watches let water in regardless as the seals aren't reliable.

If it is under warranty you can get it replaced but I wouldn't risk getting it wet after that as the seals degrade over time too.

Check in the forums for numerous reports of this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for that information. I think I will just strip it off and dump it on the table along with the eye glasses and other non waterproof 'stuff'.

Gardener Kate
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @katecopsey , your "Sense is water-resistant up to 50M

Environmental conditions

Operating temperature

14° to 113° F
(-10° to 45° C)

Non-operating temperature

-4° to 14° F
(-20° to -10° C)

113° to 140°F
(45° to 60° C)

Charging temperature32° to 95° F
(0° to 35° C)
Water resistanceWater resistant up to 50 meters
Humidity rangeWhile Fitbit Sense can operate in humidity conditions between 0% and 100%, we recommend not operating in conditions over 60% for prolonged periods of time.
Maximum operating altitude28,000 feet
(8,534 m)

You may also find this article useful Can I swim or shower with my Fitbit device? 

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Gr4ndp4 | UK
AWAKE! for morning in the bowl of light has cast the stone that set the stars to flight.

Best Answer

@Gr4ndp4  - sorry that's just publicity - like many many people have posted in the forums their watch died after getting wet, as did mine, so its better to be safe and not use it in water especially after the warranty has ended or you may end up with no watch.

Mine only got wet, not even to one metre under water and failed.

Best Answer

Hi @Guy_ yet I swim 3000 meters 6 days a week for 90 minutes (2000 on Saturday - rest day) for the last 18 months without a problem. 

Cheers

Gr4ndp4 | UK

Best Answer

Hi @LindaWashington - unfortunately as a new user it doesn't seem that you can send personal messages.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @LindaWashington  these are the community forums where people post in the public area to ask questions or discuss their Fitbits. You don't need to take something private. In fact, that is generally a red flag when someone wants to go private on any forum, isn't it?  If you need something, feel free to post it in the forums and someone will find a way to help you.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Like @Gr4ndp4, I swim in my chlorine pool almost every single day. I don't swim as many meters as @Gr4ndp4 does, but I'm in my pool with my Sense and also shower with it daily. I haven't had any issues with it at all.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

I am a bit concerned about the humidity factor - I hope outside dries up enough for me to mow but the temp 80f and 82%  humidity! Yep I am in sauna-land aka South Carolina and this is typical summer weather, so I hope it survives the summer down here.

Gardener Kate
Best Answer
0 Votes

@katecopsey I am in the Florida panhandle. It's 70% humidity or more every single day. This morning I went for a run and it was 98% humidity. I would not worry about humidity.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, it seems like you could answer my question about the Charge 5: 

I have a Charge 3 that needs to be replaced now. I have been using Fitbits for about 5 years to track swimming. In my opinion they have gotten a lot better over that time, but I just track laps and it's great for that (as long as I remember to add in my kicking laps).

What I really want is the same features I have now but with a brighter display. Will the Charge 5 do that for me, or is there a better choice now for swimmers?

Best Answer
0 Votes