Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips to connect Sense and Versa to Wi-Fi

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just spent ages trying to figure this out, and finally got it working, and am just documenting this here for anyone else to make it easier to find hopefully.

I am using a UniFi access point and controller, so the instructions here are for that setup, but this probably applies more generally to other routers that also have one SSID name for both 2GHz and 5GHz networks.

The Fitbit Versa and Fitbit Sense watches seem to have some kind of problem dealing with a SSD that has both 2GHz and 5GHz under the same name. Although it didn't apply to me, another commenter noted that if you block LAN to WAN broadcasting under your Wireless Networks --> SSID Options, the Fitbit won't work. However for me, it seemed the 2GHz/ 5GHz issue was the problem. I did not want to modify my existing SSID for fear of having to set up a ton of things again, so I created a new one. It could then connect to WiFi, but it was behaving strangely, so I decided to just set it up from scratch.

Here's what I did:

• Set up a new Wireless Network / SSID. Click on advanced options (if you don't see this, maybe you need to enable Advanced Features under the Site menu in settings... it will give a warning you can ignore since the warning is only applicable if you actually _use_ those new features this will enable). Ensure that it is configured to have two separate networks for 5Ghz and 2GHz. I think it does this by using the given name for 5GHz, then setting up the 2GHz network with the given name, plus some text appended at the end (_IoT I think was default for me... I changed it to _2GHz to be clearer)
  • I deleted the watch from the fitbit app
  • I factory-reset the watch using watch settings
  • I re-setup the watch from scratch, and this time it actually connected to the new 2GHz-only WiFi SSD I had created.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

You are correct Fitbit devices only use 2.4 GHz Wifi communications.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

All that work that poor guy did and you give him a lousy, one liner answer? Seriously?

Maybe you can answer mine better...?

Why is it when I go to connect to wifi on Sense as well ad my last Ionic watch it reads only one bar of strength every time blocking it from connecting, even if I am connecting with my iphone at full bars at the time with optimum speeds?  How and why doesnit downgrade so much? How can that be fixed?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know why you get one bar @gbrian9090. and @Guy_ was simply pointing out, that as the setup instructions say. Your watch will not support 5ghz. Out of all the smart watches, smart lights, switches, cameras, refridges, etc. Only the Apple watch can connect to 5 ghz. 

Since @Triptoph did not ask a question. I'm not sure what else should have been said. 

Best Answer

Sorry took so long to get back.  So you work for the company? If so it sounds like poor thing to say "our watch is incapable of this , still. Apple Watch has no problem here though....Great!,  ill take a refund and buy Apple

So bar thing here i was talking about is when connecting wifi function of watch to your wifi router. Unlike ANYTHING I connect to my Wifi rhat has a strong signal and ALL bars displayed showing this only fitbit Sense and ionic and wife's Versa 3 devices when eventually connected to my router comes back with a weak 1 bar signal showing how weak it connects.  It doesnt matter if im physically on top on the router! Shocking how poor signal quality is huh?  Same

with GPS on all our watches from you.  I dont even bother with it since I end up waiting starring at it and doesnt EVER connect.  Perhaps they should have "bucked up" from supplier and ordered better sensors huh?

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes @Triptoph if the SSID is identical for the 5ghz and 2.5 ghz. with 4 different routers? I've never seen this. However your tracker will have problems, simply because the SSID matches. 

@gbrian9090 how often do you use the WiFi on the tracker? How much music do you store onto the tracker. 

• To load music into the tracker
  • Load new firmware. 
  • Will auto update installed apps. 

With the exception of loading firmware, WiFi will only be enabled while charging the tracker. 

I'm not sure what company, @gbrian9090 think any of us in this thread work for. 

Best Answer