Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weather App able to function without location service set to always?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The weather app will only function if locations services for the fitbit iOS app are set to always. When fitbit location services are set to always, instead of "while using app," the weather app works great.  As soon as I change to "while using app," the Sense prompts me to go update my permissions.  I was hoping there was a way to sync the weather data so it is updated periodically, but doesn't require 24/7 GPS data info from my phone.  It is really killing the battery on my iPhone 11.

Is there anyway to have the weather app work without giving it (Fitbit iOS app) "always" level location access?

Sense w/ latest firmware update

Latest version of iOS Fitbit app

iOS 15.2

Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

The Fitbit App has 2 parts, services and the user interface

On Android setting the location service to while using the app will turn permission off permission to access location services. So yes when the app is closed the background services are unable to get your location.

In theory if the weather is set for specific locations then your location will not be needed  

I'll assume it is the same for iOS.

As for location services GPS will only be turned on when requested by the app. In Android location could be determined by cell towers, WiFi-SSID, and GPS. In any case until an app actually requests your location no extra battery power is used.

Have you checked which apps are using the power?

Best Answer
0 Votes

It used to be working when I set the location 'while using the app' instead of 'always turn on', then later after Fitbit updates this can't be worked any more, I hated to have it always turned on because it drains the phone battery. I am using iphone.  Now I rather check my phone's weather app instead of always turn on  on the Fitbit weather app.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

The issue @JoannieC is that the weather app talks to the background services. Setting location only for when the user interface is open will prevent the background services from getting your location, unless the Fitbit UI is open. 

Think of it like a door lock, just because a person has the key, it doesn't require them to unlock the door unless they need to go in. 

Letting fitbit have access to the location will not use up battery because the fitbit app will only request your location when you, the user, needs fitbit to know. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue  My previous comment was referring to iPhone, not Android.  iPhone have a feature to turn on the location service WHILE using the app, but now even with this feature turn on, the Fitbit seems doesn't work on it anymore, the only choice now is to ALWAYS turn on the location service on Fitbit, if I set it to ALWAYS, it drains iPhone battery.  I have tried it and it really drain my iPhone battery pretty quick.  Again, previously on Fitbit it allows to just turn on the location service WHILE using the app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I know that there was no mention of the phone. However. Since fitbit is running a background service, which handles tye weather request, yes tge fitbit app needs access to your location when the weather is requested. 

Your choicefisfto only request weather when your Fitbit UI is open, or give fitbit always permission. 

This I explained in my post above. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue What I don't understand is why suddenly Fitibit's weather app no longer allow iphone to use its location service while open the app, it used to work that way.  Why is it now must have the location service to be always turned on and not while open the app.  Is it the Weather app or Fitbit issue?  I have no idea.  Anyway, since it drains the battery quick, I don't bother the Fitbit weather app at all, I just need to look up the weather app on my iPhone, besides, Fitbit's weather app only allowed 3 locations, so limited.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you check tour usage? 

I did, my fitbit has full time access to location. Let's see where fitbit stands on the list.

Screenshot_20220823-112334_Settings.jpg

It is at least in 10th place. 

Simply having access enabled doesn't mean the app will be asking for access. 

It has only been an hour since I removed the phone fromgtge charger. 

Screenshot_20220823-112922_Settings.jpg

You see, the fitbit app should not be the cause of battery drain

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue  I don't think you get my point.  My question is:   Why's the location service can't be used while using the app any more but now have to always have it turned on?  I have already check and tried MANY times, also having the location turned on or off to compare see if the battery would get drained faster, and yes, it did drain faster when I have it always turned on.  If yours is okay, it doesn't mean everyone else phone battery should be like yours too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I get your point, you only want fitbit to have access to location when the user interface us ooen, that is fine, but don't expect weather to update unless your User Interface is open. 

Best Answer

I will report this to Fitbit, it used to work when using the app, changed only recently, if they allowed always only, then shouldn’t still have the option of ‘while using the app’ and that’s my point. 

Best Answer

The option While using the App is an option of the phones operating system, and beyond what fitbit has control of. 

However following the prompts when setting the app and the tracker up, permission will be granted for full time access

Best Answer
0 Votes