Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has the sleep tracker driven anyone to insomnia?

I was very interested in getting the Flex to track my sleep.  Once I started seeing how much I was waking up and restless during the night, I had even more issues with sleeping.  I want to go back to tracking sleep but trying not to over-obsess about it is going to be a challenge.  Anyone else having this issue?

Best Answer
31 REPLIES 31

Everyone is different. I have mine set to sensitive and non-dominant hand, but may consider changing it to normal. My sleep varies, but I move around at night, adjusting my blanket, checking the clock, turning on the radio, etc and it all adds up to restlessness or being awake, so that is why my percentage can be lower.

Read this article on how sleep is tracked. It might help you understand it a bit more.  click

You shouldn't worry about it, but consider it part of learning your sleep habits. It's always a shock to see just how many times you're awake or restless.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 9

Best Answer

I have difficulty sleeping so I though the FitBit would a nice way to see how bad it is.  It was defintely good for getting an understanding of when my sleeping is better or worse. 

However, I stopped wearing it at night because all the sleep advice I've read recommends limiting electronics in the bedroom.  I assume if electronics nearby is bad for sleep than electronics strapped directly to the body must be worse.  I just put it on sleep mode when I lay down and sleep with it on the bed as a compromise.  It doesn't give the details of wearing it but it interferes less with sleep.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Burgandy wrote:

I have difficulty sleeping so I though the FitBit would a nice way to see how bad it is.  It was defintely good for getting an understanding of when my sleeping is better or worse. 

However, I stopped wearing it at night because all the sleep advice I've read recommends limiting electronics in the bedroom.  I assume if electronics nearby is bad for sleep than electronics strapped directly to the body must be worse.  I just put it on sleep mode when I lay down and sleep with it on the bed as a compromise.  It doesn't give the details of wearing it but it interferes less with sleep.

Burgandy, I've read similar stories about limiting the electronics in the bedroom. What they mean is the cell phone, tablet, computer, television, or whatever else distracts and prevents rest. My Flex is part of me and is no more than a bracelet when I'm wearing it. It's not a distraction, but if it helps you to think of it as a sleep aide, then do that. You can see the number of hours you're in bed by laying the tracker next to you, but it's not picking up quite the same as if it were on your wrist.

Give it a try and see what you think.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 9

Best Answer

My FitBit is in no way "a part of me".  It is simply an electronic device I use for a means of finding out info.  And I disgree that a FitBit is not a distraction in bed.  I can feel it on my arm and it is irritating.When it is next to me I don't have that problem.

"Give it a try and see what you think."  As I already stated I have used it that way and choose to not use it that way any longer.

Best Answer

I've stopped wearing the wrist band because the velcro tends to catch on my blanket and pull the thing off. That means I wake up and have to reattach it.  So it has become counter-productive in terms of the sleep efficiency.  I am doing like Burgundy and putting it on my bedside table just to track the time. 

Best Answer

That velcro is horrible.  I have had my fitbit fallout of the sleep band and then had to search through all the sheets and blankets in the morning for it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Similar experience here. I forgot to put my Flex back on after charging it before bed. The next morning I woke up feeling more refreshed than I had in weeks.  Out of curiosity, I've been taking it off at night for a few nights now and same thing - I'm feeling less exhausted.

I haven't been bothering putting it in sleep mode, but I think I'll do what others have shared - put it in sleep mode and set it bedside, so I'm at least tracking when I go to bed for the night and get up for the day (since that is one area of self-sabotage.)

edit:  Oh, and generally speaking, having my Flex on my non-dominant wrist doesn't bother me the slightest. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have certainly had much more trouble sleeping since getting my One. It's a bit disappointing because one of the main reasons I chose it over the Zip was for sleep tracking!

Last night was the breaking point, 3 am and still wide awake so I just gave up, took it off and fell straight into a deep sleep. 

I'd love to be able to wear it again but I'm just far too conscious of it. The wristband itself doesn't bother me at all, I can't even feel the thing on me, it's just the awareness of it tracking that keeps me awake.. It'd be good to know if anyone else has managed to overcome similar issues!

Best Answer

I have only worn my Charge HR for two nights and I was concerned about my lack of sleep even though the sleep efficiency was in the 90's. I'm not sure if it's just a matter of getting used to sleeping with it, but I am a "stomach sleeper" with an arm tucked under me  and I find the tracker to be very uncomfortable and find myself repositioning more than normal. I'm wondering if I should give it a few more nights to see if it's just an adjustment phase...but the idea of just having it on the bedside stand may be a better solution.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Burgandy actually said that she puts it beside her ON the bed while sleeping.  Sleepy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

With hubby and dogs in the same bed I'm not sure how accurate that would be to just have it ON the bed, but last night I tried something different, I wore it a little higher on my wrist and it still tracked my sleep and pulse and I was able to get to sleep and stay asleep most of the night! So, hopefully, this will be a good solution for me because I really want to see what kind of sleep patterns I have.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I personally have no problems wearing my flex at night or any other time
but do miss it like crazy if it is not on,just the same as if my watch was
not on,,,,,which I do not wear to sleep and don`t miss it then. Flex only
bothers me if it is too tight which naturally you re-adjust for comfort...
sleepy
Best Answer
0 Votes

Forgive me for replying to an old thread but I totally agree with you. I used to sleep through the night and I wanted to get a fitbit to track how much I was sleeping. Right after I got it, I started waking up at least 2x a night. This carried on for about 3 months. 

Eventually I thought "what if my fitbit is making me not sleep?" so I stopped sleeping with it and I haven't had the issue since. 

Here's why I think it happened: 

1. I was over thinking about my sleep, thus making me anxious that I was going to wake up during the night. 

2. Any form of electronics near your bedside isn't good for you. Period. It emits electromagnetic waves into the environment which isn't good your biological clock.

WHO actually released a statement that ANY electronic device isn't good for your health and actually increases your chance of cancer! 

Best Answer

I totally agree with you. I started having sleeping problem since beginning of 2015. I've seen doctors and acupuncturists to solve the problem. Nothing helps cause I've been wearing fitbit this WHOLE time during sleep.

But recently, I started taking fitbit off, and turn bluetooth off on my phone. I sleep wayyyy better. I think some people are very sensitive to bluetooth magnetic wave. And I'm trying to leave my phone at least 5 feet away from my pillow. 

Best Answer

Got the fit bit last week... Ever since I was waking up at 5:00 am wired after having gone to bed anywhere between 11:30pm and 1:30 am. It was awful. I started to wonder if it was the fit bit. Left it off last night and slept like a rock. Don't know if that is psychological, physical or both, and don't really care, just want my sleep, so goodnight fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I don't know if this is too late to make a comment on this thread. However, I have just changed from Flex2 (after about 1 year having it on my wrist 24/7) to Charge 2 last Saturday to help tracking my heart beat during cardio and measuring quality of my sleep. I actually recently got some problems (minor: waking up at night, difficult to fall asleep but very seldom) with my sleep and I was very curious about the concept of deep sleep.

From ever since I changed to Charge 2 my sleep was way worse than before. Even I tried to take nap in the daytime, it was also very struggling. It was just about 5 days I got Charge2 with me while sleeping. However, I can feel that it has impact on me somehow.

Is there anyone got the same problem with Charge 2 or similar models which include heartbeat tracking functions? I think the green light of the Charge 2 is the problem.

I will get rid of it when I sleep to see if any different or not.

Best Answer

Hi! I also just got the fitbit charger 2 and never had used a tracker before. I thought this would be great because it tracks your sleep. However, I did notice that I feel anxious and tense, while my eyes move around slightly rapidly with my eyelids closed. I end up having to take it off and tuck it away under my other pillow. Right after, my body instantly becomes relaxed and I am able to go to sleep soundly. I notice other people state that it's a mental state, but it just seems odd and I feel if I'm tired enough I wouldn't consciously feel that I have it on. I don't have the bluetooth or location settings on my phone so I know it's not that. It would be great to know what others have felt and done to try to stop the lack of sleep.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I definitely have come to think that the fitbit interferes with my sleep. I have it on my wrist, with my hands up by my face (close to my brain!), and I have been only getting about 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night. I am no longer going to wear it at night, and I'm pretty sure my sleep will improve. 

Best Answer
Hello, the light can cause some irritation if you are a restless sleeper
like myself, but, I just realised right now that a sweat band worn over the
top of it may be a good idea as it annoys my husband as well.
I'm very impressed with myself right now as I've been up just over 30
min, a very crappy sleeper and the fog hangs very low in the mornings.😴😂😨
Best Answer
0 Votes