Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate spike while sleeping

IMG_5283.PNG

IMG_5284.PNG

I have the surge. I am a healthy weight, 34 years old, moderate stress level, go to bed about 8:30 and wake around 4:30, exercise daily, heart and labs were monitored in December and were good. I do have orthostatic hypotension and have had it since I was a kid. Beyond that, no issues and I am a sound sleeper. I haven't had nightmares that I can remember. Is this a glitch in my watch? The morning heart rate spikes are accurate because that is when I exercise. I wear the watch fairly snug on my wrist. These two nights are the only nights I see that this has happened but from January 1 to now my resting heart rate went from 61 bpm to about 75 bpm. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

If it's happened just a couple of times, I wouldn't put too much credence in it. Could have been a momentary glitch. I get those sometimes, usually from the band shifting somehow during the night and then the signal re-connects.

It doesn't seem that a couple of these would affect your resting heart rate much. But it is curious that your RHR jumped 14 bpm. If the starting RHR of 61 was when you first started using the tracker, then it's probably just that it's gathering data for the calculation and the most recent number is the most accurate. If you had a RHR of 61 for a while, and then it jumped, then there could be something behind that. Usually RHR goes down the more fit we become, and rises when stressed or overworked. There's lots of other factors that come into play with RHR, but I find it a good tool to monitor.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for your feedback! I'm sure stress has quite a bit to do with it as that was a time of transition of staff at work, among other things.

Kristin Watkins, CEO

NEK Multi-County Health Department
Atchison, Brown, and Jackson Counties
PO Box 182
Hiawatha, KS 66434
Office (785) 742-7192
Cell (785) 220-7552
Kwatkinsnekmulticounty@gmail.com
Best Answer
0 Votes

Any alcohol before sleep can raise your heart rate.  Occasional spikes I wouldn't worry about, but if your resting heart rate is continuing to go up I might make a trip to your family doctor.  Although it can be stress related it can also be a sign of illness (ie. being worn out, needing a rest).

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Or it could be Fitbit average heartbeat rate while I go to the kitchen to get a glass of water with heartbeat rate when I am actually sleeping. I find this particular metric totally unreliable. Disappointingly unreliable

Best Answer
0 Votes

it is not stress, it is a fitbit bug. you can see that by going to edit the sleep log and adding a couple of minutes when you know you were awake. the heartbeat "rate" will shift up even though you didn't sleep longer.

they can tell when you sleep and when you're awake, and they could filter out the awake time but they're lazy. people use their app whether it is good or just okay, so why bother. Terrible quality control.

Best Answer
0 Votes