Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restless Leg Syndrome

I have Restless Led Syndrome and I just started tracking my sleep patterns with the Flex. It is amazing! Not my sleep pattern, but the fact that this device tracks my "awake" periods and my "sleep" periods to the minute. I can share this with my doctors AND with the other people I know who have this disease. If there are any others out there who would like to start a group, please let me know.

I also track everthing else. I am very active and would love a challenge or 2, or 3......

CW

Best Answer
34 REPLIES 34

Im not sure what your asking? It is normal to see a lot of light Blue in.sensitive mode.

Do you move around a lot when asleep?

In normal Fitbit ignores the small movevements, in sensitive it shows you them. Personally I would like to see a graph to see how far the movements sre, not just that I moved.

Several people have worn their Fitbit during a sleep study, and found the Normal setting pretty close.

Best Answer

Asking if that looks normal in this thread may not tell you much because this is why we are here. When I turned mine to sensitive mine looked similar. I decided that the standard mode was far more reflective of reality for me with a Charge HR. I have RLS and chronic sinusitis. The sinusitis makes me flop all night to drain the side of my head that had filled up and restricted my breathing. My restless leg issue shows up more before bedtime and in the first hour of attempted sleep. I will either find my legs so restless (and perceive pain) that I must move then progressively more until I am moving them every 1-3 seconds OR I will awake jerking a leg or in a couple of instances, swinging my arm like a prizefighter. I have been on 0.5 mg of pramipexole for about a year now- and as long as I take it 2-3 hours before bedtime 1 dose works like a charm and I do not have any side effects. Do I worry about long term effects? Maybe a tiny amount- my dad passed away after suffering for years with a Parkinson's like syndrome which this drug is one of the options they treat it with- but perhaps that is irrevelant.

Back to your chart- I think mine would still look like that today if i put mine in sensitive mode due to the sinusitis. In standard mode my chart would show only 12-20 awake periods depending on how bad my sinuses are acting. If i have more than 15-16 awake periods I will not be refreshed after sleep. I am usually very tired when i wake up. At least the medication allows me to get to sleep.

Hope this helps- but it is only my experience.

Best Answer
0 Votes

BTW- if you have RLS avoid alcohol at all costs- it will negate any medication (or at least what I take). 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a new Fitbit Blaze user, primarily to track my aweful sleep.  I have RLS which causes The Fitbit not to measure until I am still. I have been taking .5 mg Clonapin to help with sleep, not!,

Sleepless in Asheville

Best Answer
0 Votes

I too have restless leg syndrome.  I take Pramipexole and it really helps.  If I wait too long at night to take the Pramipexole I can't get to sleep for hours.  I need to take it 2-3 hours before I want to sleep.  It does help to eat an apple or fruit with it.  

Massage does help.  If I get a massage every two weeks I can cut down on the dosage of Pramipexole.  Exercise doesn't help or hinder my RLS.  

I'll try the tonic water and see if that works.

Best Answer

I will try to go without grains (easy) and milk products(No cheese is going to be hard!) this month and see if it helps.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll willing to try anything to get off meds.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have the same issue. If i don't take my requip... I can be absolutely
exhausted pacing the house.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sometimes I sit on the floor and pound my legs on the floor. That works better for me than walking 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Does the medication make you nauseous? I quit taking Ropinirole for that reason. I have bad Sciatica which seems to aggravate the RLS and also Periodic Limb Movement Disorder. I take Hydrocodone, Cyclobenzeprene and Gabapentin. Sigh! I'd like to ditch it all.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've tried a lot of different medical for RLS. I finally found the genetic
form of Mirapix (for Parkinson's) that works. Only the small round
pink/peach pills work for me. The white generic ones gave me horrible vivid
nightmares.

Massage helps a lot. Wish I could afford it weekly. Twice a month, if
consistent, really helps.

I use to take Gabapentin for my arms but weaned myself off of it very
slowly.

I do not get sick from it. I do take 3mg at night. I do have to take it
with food or I get a bad taste in my mouth.

Hope this helps.

Jan
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I too suffer with RLS, when I wake up, my Fitbit says I have done 192 steps already this am. Does it count my leg movements in my sleep? Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think the Fitbit counts arm movement too. Try moving just your arm up and
down like when you walk.
Best Answer

True @JKH2  The Fitbit is connected to the arm not the foot.

Best Answer
That is true. But the counting is from the arm, not the "restless leg".
So the count if from the arm. Restless legs move and the arm does too when
you continually turn over trying to become more comfortable.
Best Answer

Sometimes I turn over just so I can not bother my hubby.  

Best Answer
0 Votes