Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restless: how bad is it?

I tried my new Fitbit last night to track my sleep and here are the results:

Desktop:

Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 9.05.22 AM.png

Mobile:

Screenshot_2015-05-19-09-08-17.png

As you can see, I have 90% sleep efficiency and slept for over 7 hours. These numbers I expected.

However, there are a bunch of periods when I'm "awake" (according to the desktop version) or "restless" (according to the mobile version).

I remember being awake as shown by the mobile version because I actually got out of bed. I don't remember the other, restless, moments.

My questions are:

1. How bad is it to be restless? "Restless" is a pretty bad word if we're talking about sleep.
  2. Should I be concerned about having so many restless moments?
  3. What exactly are these restless moments?
  4. What does normal, healthy, sleep look like in one of these graphs?
  5. Why does the desktop version label restlessness as awake? 
  6.  Why does the mobile version make the distinction between restless and awake?

Any insight about these items is greatly appreciated!

Best Answer
151 REPLIES 151

I was trying to find answers too.  I'm pretty aware that I'm restless at night, but mostly I've been landing between 5-6 hours of sleep.  I'd like to get more but am having trouble doing that.  

This said, I found this article and found it interesting.   I plan to try some of the techniques listed.  

https://blog.fitbit.com/restless-sleep-isnt-always-bad-but-heres-when-its-a-problem/  

Best Answer

For the past 2 months I have been so restless in my sleep that I am in bed for around 8/9 hours and I only get around 40% sleep and it says I only sleep 3. Im having the same problems and I'm that exhausted I can fall asleep anywhere. At work, at home. Out with friends etc. If anybody has a solution please tell me 

Best Answer
0 Votes

95% and higher is better. And my sleep quality is really low and I have sensitive on

Liam Cummings; Awesomewalks Fitbit expert; owner of Fitbit Alta;charge (returned to Fitbit)
Best Answer
0 Votes

There actually are hormones that are released in your brain that are released only during REM sleep to prevent movement and if you do move during R.E.M. It's considered a sleep disorder.

source: psychology textbook

and 

https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.livescience.com/21653-brain-chemicals-sleep-paralysis.html?client=safa...

Best Answer

image.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have recently had my first appointment for a sleep clinic and had a physical. I'm tall but small features. They said it's quite possible I have apnea as my airway opening isn't that large ... which is the opposite of what they see for a lot of people. I don't have the thick neck which is one of the indicators they look for. I won't know until the clinic which is in the few months. They asked if I wanted a prescription for my restless legs. I said no as I'd rather investigate iron, B12 etc. first.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What setting was this picture taken on sensitive or normal

Best Answer
0 Votes
Normal
Best Answer
0 Votes

Screenshot_20170310-105310.png

Screenshot_20170310-105325.png

Hi, I was wondering if you ever found out for certain the answers to your sleep questions? I've attached a screen shot of my typical kind of sleep that has been the norm for me for roughly 3 months now. As you can see it shows something definitely going on according to fit bit. Any advice would be great. 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm not sure what photo you meant. I had a sleep study done and it tracked
even more episodes than my fitbit does. I wear it on sensitive mode bc it
has been advised to do so if you have sleep disorders.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi mb55555,

In the settings of the fitbit app and on the website, you can go into settings. That picture of the sleep log, because it is in big chunks, I would assume that your settings for sleeping are on sensitive. If they are, it will count every toss or every turn as a big block of awareness. If you change this to normal, results can vary, but I have foundthe sensitivity is still high, but every turn only counts as a thin strip. If  your sleep still is bad, I sadly don't know what to do specifically if it is a medical problem. I hope I could help!Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
I would ask my doctor to be referred to do in in hospital Sleep study. Do
you feel tired and like you didn't sleep when you wake? Do you get sleepy
when driving, watching t.v., reading, etc. If so you make have a disorder.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Marley92 wrote:

For the past 2 months I have been so restless in my sleep that I am in bed for around 8/9 hours and I only get around 40% sleep and it says I only sleep 3. Im having the same problems and I'm that exhausted I can fall asleep anywhere. At work, at home. Out with friends etc. If anybody has a solution please tell me 

My Solution:

It is definitely important to make sure that you are active enough during the day and be sure that you try to exercise because I can fall asleep so easily after I tire myself out after a long day.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Please get a sleep study done:) good luck!
Best Answer
Thanks for thinking of me!

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

This is a fairly old post...but before making a comment on a public forum about whether people's sleep patterns aren't normal or what normal is, perhaps it would be good if you clarified or looked it up and give facts. 90% asleep efficiency is actually very good. 85% is normal. This is according to everyone. Not sure where you're getting your facts. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I understand there are lots of types of magnesium -- may I ask which type you take? Thanks for such an informative answer. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried to reply but new here, and it didn't "take" my response. Let's try this again. (And if you get two similar replies from me, blame the site?) Anyway, I know there are several types of magnesium - may I ask which type you take, please? Thanks for such an informative response. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You asked about magnesium. Magnesium is actually hard for the body to absorb via the stomach. The best absorption is through the skin. Add a cup of Epsom Salts to bathwater and soak in it. Epsom Salts are 100% magnesium sulfate.

Best Answer

Thanks, but not really practical when one often showers (versus bathes) -- anyone else care to comment on magnesium supplements? Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes