Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bedtime routine or good bedtime habits

I've never had any trouble to fall asleep in the past, but having a lot on my mind or using electronics before going to bed has really started to have an impact on the time it takes me to actually fall asleep. 

sleep1.jpg

I do believe that creating a bedtime routine or practicing some good bedtime habits will have you waking up feeling better and more energized.  🤔

sleep2.jpg

Feel free to share if you have any good habits or routines that you practice before going to bed. What helps you to relax and fall asleep naturally? Let me know!  😁

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

Hi @DavideFitbit - I agree that a bedtime routine helps. When I get settled in for sleep, I normally activate the Relax app on my Fitbit device. That deep breathing really helps me. If I’m still awake after that, I use a meditation technique where you start with your head/neck ... relaxing one muscle at a time ... all the way down to your toes. My instructor told me - “Don’t try to stop any thoughts. Let them pass thru without responding to them.” 

Best Answer

Thank you for sharing that technique @SunsetRunner! 

I love that "Don’t try to stop any thoughts. Let them pass thru without responding to them.” It makes a lot of sense, will definitely give that a try. 😁 

Best Answer

I find meditating just before bed actually doesn’t help, I’ll meditate and usually fall asleep and then wake up again and not be able to fall asleep again! Reading a book will usually send me off to the land of nod quite quickly. My difficulty is staying asleep, I’ll usually wake up around 2am (usually asleep at 1030) and be restless for a while and sometimes even need to go and sleep in spare room or the sofa to get back to sleep again. I dream of getting an uninterrupted nights sleep! Any tips for this welcome. 

Best Answer

Hi @Matt_Saze - What are you eating or drinking before bedtime? I’ve found that can make a big difference to my sleep ... the quality and the restlessness. I finally just stopped eating and drinking anything - other than a couple sips of water - after 7:00. Another thought, have you tried meditating when you wake up in the middle of the night?

Best Answer

Usually have an evening meal before 8pm, but agree earlier is better. Will try that and also meditation when waking up. Thanks for the tips 🙂

Best Answer

Reading always helps me as well @Matt_Saze, will definitely give that a try instead of checking social media 😅 

I agree @SunsetRunner, what we eat before going to bed is essential, the earlier the better. 😎 

Best Answer

Hey @DavideFitbit, I like the bedtime routine, that helps me most nights. Also limiting caffeine later in the day. Like @Matt_Saze, getting back to sleep after waking can be a challenge. Meditation does help there, but sometimes it seems I just have to wait it out.

Best Answer

Yes @2run4it! Meditation does help a lot to fall back asleep. 

I've love coffee 😁, but I've also been trying to drink my last cup of coffee at no later than 5pm. 

Best Answer

That's always a good practice before going to bed @mWttrs2, reading a good book!  😁

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @SunsetRunner i totally agree with your message. The days that i have had late dinners i tend to be awake for at least an hour before going into sleep. But the days when i have early dinner and relax just by reading a book or watching a television show before by cut-off time i tend to go to sleep within minutes. Also tend to avoid any arguments with family members 1 or 2 hours before sleep time as well prepares your body to get ready for sleep. I do not do actual "meditation" a lot since reading a book and using the relax app on my Ionic makes up for the meditation i think. Everyone needs to find what relaxes them towards the end of the day. But i think deep breathing exercises before going to sleep is a must. Cheers👍

Best Answer

Thanks for sharing valuable information on sleeping. I share your sentiments good sleep come with good habits that prepare you to have a good sleep. And i think having a good sleep is a magic pill that a lot of people take for granted. Your body needs the rest does not matter that you are a workout maniac or a computer wiz who is hooked on to electronics. If you don't give your mind and body the rest it deserves it backfires spectacularly and i am testament to that. Cheers 👍

Best Answer

I like to get up really early, so I must be sure to get to sleep early.

- Take a hot bath

- Read a book

- Listen to Dan Jones Sleep Hypnosis Stories (This works best to stop an overactive mind)

- Listen to Ajahn Brahm (Buddhist Monk) or other Dharma talks

Best Answer

Great suggestions @JSuswaram @Maria527! Thank you for sharing these bedtime habits. 😁 

Best Answer

I read scientific literature to help me sleep better. It's boring and I fall asleep quickly

Best Answer

That happens to me too @FoxMan32 😂

There's no problem if I read during the day, but if I read at night (and scientific literature in particular), I will definitely fall asleep quickly 😅

Best Answer
0 Votes

The best way to sleep is be in a really dark room with all electronics turned off.

Thomas (Atomic77) West Bend, Wisconsin: Fitbit Versa 2 and Aria Air Scale
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with that, I sleep much much better when the room is completely dark @Atomic77

Even the light on my phone or anything nearby bothers me when I'm trying to fall asleep.  😅

Best Answer
0 Votes

An MP3 player with a timed shut-off playing a well known soothing audio book works for me.   

Best Answer
0 Votes