Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change status of sleep segment in the middle of the night?

ANSWERED

I am often awake in the middle of the night for an hour or more. Sometimes I get up and sometimes stay in bed, reading or listening to podcasts. My Inspire II tends to detect the start and end of those waking periods fairly accurately but will often identify periods of light sleep in between, when I am actually awake. I assume that is because I am resting quietly with little movement and a low heart rate. The result is to over-estimate my time asleep and assign a higher sleep score than is justified.

My question is whether it is possible to change the labelling of those internal segments from "light sleep" to "awake"? I know how to edit the start and end times for the sleep log, but the segments in question are in the middle of the night rather than at either extreme. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@SunsetRunner   You might not be happy with the results.  If a sleep segment is less than three hours, you don't get sleep score generated for that segment, because Fitbit generates only sleep patterns for a segment that short.  You might wind up with an awful sleep score for one segment of your sleep.

If you aren't familiar with how Fitbit calculates your sleep score, you might want to check out this Help article.  Your time asleep counts for 50% of your sleep score.  The amount of time in Deep and REM sleep counts for 25%.  Your sleeping heart rate counts for 25%.  This period of awake time just might not place as big a role in your sleep score as you think it does.  There is something else you need to be aware of.  There is a sleep stage called transitional sleep, that stage between being awake and asleep.  Fitbit might register this as light sleep, even though you think you are awake.

Another thing to keep in mind.  Sleep is an EEG diagnosis.  Fitbit can't measure your EEG, but uses motion, heart rate variability, and breathing rate to make this estimate.

I like to keep it simple.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hello @SunsetRunner and welcome to the Help forums.  I'm sorry, but you can't change those labels.  It is a limitation of the technology that we all must accept.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, Laurie, I suspected that might be the case. Another possibility that occurred to me was to split a sleep log into two, the first one ending when I woke in the night, and the second one starting when I went back to sleep. That would give a false Sleep Score, I think, because a period awake would be ignored, but the time logged as asleep would be more accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner   You might not be happy with the results.  If a sleep segment is less than three hours, you don't get sleep score generated for that segment, because Fitbit generates only sleep patterns for a segment that short.  You might wind up with an awful sleep score for one segment of your sleep.

If you aren't familiar with how Fitbit calculates your sleep score, you might want to check out this Help article.  Your time asleep counts for 50% of your sleep score.  The amount of time in Deep and REM sleep counts for 25%.  Your sleeping heart rate counts for 25%.  This period of awake time just might not place as big a role in your sleep score as you think it does.  There is something else you need to be aware of.  There is a sleep stage called transitional sleep, that stage between being awake and asleep.  Fitbit might register this as light sleep, even though you think you are awake.

Another thing to keep in mind.  Sleep is an EEG diagnosis.  Fitbit can't measure your EEG, but uses motion, heart rate variability, and breathing rate to make this estimate.

I like to keep it simple.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks again, Laurie, that’s very helpful information in understanding how sleep is analysed. I can work with the results I am seeing. 

Best Answer