Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Blog: How I Drastically Improved my Sleep, Amanda Harding

kate-stone-matheson-uy5t-CJuIK4-unsplash.jpg

In August I gave birth to my fourth child in a planned home birth. Everything was going well, however when my son was born he was unresponsive. We spent eight days in the NICU. By the grace of God, our son Gideon is an adorable six month old with four teeth and so full of joy!

B1FF2AF5-29CC-405C-A91A-E5D27984863B - Amanda Harding.jpeg

The NICU stay, mingled with hormones, four children under six years old, running a business and farm and a slew of other responsibilities was a recipe for stress. Because I was postpartum, I knew I had to get help. I reached out to my midwife and told her I was struggling. She said, “When we need help the most it’s the hardest to ask.” Truer words had never been spoken. She referred me to a highly recommended postpartum therapist.

During therapy I discovered that sleep deprivation was one of the biggest contributing factors to the symptoms I was experiencing. I had heard about sleep hygiene in the past, but now it was a matter of necessity.

A friend of mine had gifted me her Fitbit when she upgraded to a newer model. I heard that it could track sleep. So, I started wearing it. I also started walking for the mental health benefits. Every morning I woke up excited to check my sleep score! It was so fun! I also loved learning about the different stages of sleep and which parts helped with mood.

It became a challenge to try to get a high sleep score! Within a month I had gone from scores of 74 to scores of 91. Along with my therapy sessions and the daily walking, my entire attitude and daily outlook had shifted. Life had gone from feeling so hard to light and possible again.

Don’t believe the lie that just because you’re busy or have young kids, or even a newborn, that you can’t get sleep. Sleep doesn’t get enough credit for its restorative properties. There is no substitute for sleep.

I would recommend joining the sleep community for ideas and support. It is possible to get sleep. And the benefits are immediate. Within two nights I could feel and notice improvements in my outlook and energy levels.

Start experimenting. Challenge yourself with sleep scores. One of my favorite sleep hygiene tips is a mug of hot sleepy time tea, fresh clean sheets and diffusing lavender essential oils. Oh, and a 9pm bedtime - who knew that was feasible with four kids? It is!

--

Please note that content published here is written by Fitbit Community members and does not reflect any opinions or official positions of Fitbit. The Community Blog entries  are published as submitted and are not edited for grammatical or other accuracy. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or condition. Always check with your doctor before changing your diet, altering your sleep habits, taking supplements, or starting a new fitness routine.

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Love the article and the pics.  Thanks for sharing your journey. 

Best Answer

Great piece!  Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Amazing the pics and the article.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Very interesting article

Best Answer

Great article, I also will start wearing my Fitbit to bed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Pretty good

Best Answer
0 Votes

Love the article. Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nice article 

Best Answer
0 Votes

cute cat

Best Answer
0 Votes

What's considered to be an 'average' sleep score?  Color me curious. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @hawkmeister, let me give you a warm welcome to our Community!

Well, your overall Sleep score is a sum of your individual scores in sleep duration, sleep quality, and restoration, for a total score of up to 100. Most people get a score between 72 and 83. Sleep score ranges are:

• Excellent: 90-100
  • Good: 80-89
  • Fair: 60-79
  • Poor: Less than 60

Hope this helps! 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes