Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feel free to share your stories about Sleep Disorders

I have read that sleep occurs in cycles but what if your cycles don't always occur in the proper order? For example last night I went from being wide awake to being in a deep sleep. I don't think this is just a Fitbit reading issue and here is why

I was being tested some years ago for Epilepsy (which I didn't end up having) and I had to wear an EKG around with me as well as an EEG (at one point I wore an EEG for 5 strait days). The tests showed that I was asleep when I was awake/along with other wonky sleeping patterns and my heart rate dropped very low at times (not sure what my bpm was but low enough that I have been tested for Bradycardia more than once). No heart defects were found so it was assumed my Bradycardia was a result of exercise. MMRIs always normal. Once after giving birth I fell asleep hooked up to the blood pressure monitor and they rushed in with crash carts because my values were so low they thought I was dead but I could hold a conversation (they were startled to say the least). Sometimes when I exercise even intensely my heart rate is just chill and even throughout. I have literally hammered out an hour long kickboxing workout with BPM of 55, covered in sweat. As I get older my BPM seems to be more normal but I still seem to have something going on. I wanted to get my sleep professionally analyzed but the wait for that was over a year and my neurologist never put me on the list and now that I am no longer being investigated for Epilepsy I no longer have a neurologist and cannot request a sleep analysis (I don't live in the USA). Does this sound like a sleep disorder? Faulty wiring?

Btw I get loads of REM sleep but not much Deep Sleep for my age and I always wake up feeling tired. Sometimes my dreams are so intense and drawn out I wake up more exhausted than when I went to sleep in the first place! I go to bed at 9:43 pm and wake up 5:50 am most days sometimes I attempt to sleep in on the weekends but I struggle sleeping in and it leads to sleep paralysis. I can't stay awake later because I start to literally nod off and if I don't get enough sleep I hallucinate/become unstable so I really don't even bother trying to stay up late if I can help it. I have been diagnosed with severe ADD but what if it wasn't an attention issue, what if I was nodding off? I know I can partially sleep when doing reptitive things like eliptical, I don't really need to be full on so I can doze and keep moving. My mom seems to have problems too with insomnia, she goes to bed really early and then wakes super early.

Does anyone else have a similar issue and has been given a medical explanation? Or is also looking for answers? Or does this just seem like a variant of the norm? Is it just a low, rhytymic heart rate confusing sensors? Does anyone else have sleep disorders please share your story!

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

So yeah I was intending to reply to the comment that MrsProcker posted a while ago and it didn’t work, nor can I delete my last comment. 

Anyways, I’m new to Fitbit but I have Idiopathic Hypersomnia and I saw someone else post about it as well! It’s nice to hear that we are not alone. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Electriclineman. Do you get called out all hours of the night? It would be interesting to see your Fitbit tracking 
Best Answer
0 Votes

G'day, I have narcolepsy , sometimes I notice and have been told by my partner that I was asleep before my Fitbit picked it up sometime half hour or so. It doesn't pic up when I'm nodding off either throughout the day or night.Screenshot_20190215-112658_1.png

Screenshot_20190215-111440.png

Screenshot_20190215-111742_1.png

Best Answer
My Fitbit does well tracking me going to sleep even when I lay in bed
reading before falling asleep. But it is terrible at picking up when I wake
up in the morning. It picks ups when I actually get out of bed and start to
walk around.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I had another overnight psg. I do not recall sleep paralysis that night, nor was it observed during the psg that took place in a sleep lab. However, I spent 0% of time in N3 sleep. My Fitbit showed I had 1.5 hrs in deep sleep.

I had 90+ arousals, and at least 5 dream recalls that caused me to wake up. I documented these dreams upon awakening. I reported awakenings and dream recall out of n2 sleep and rem sleep. I don’t have apnea. It appears they don’t have a pocket to put me in as far as a dx code for my sleep... no 48 hr eeg this time and no mlst... when I left the sleep lab, I went home and fell asleep but couldn’t stay asleep... awakening out of rem I believe. It’s still being treated as insomnia with little to no success. I welcome yet another opinion but am at a loss where to go. Good luck to all. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine does pick up my sleep but sometimes I think I go straight into REM and it still thinks I'm awake.

Best Answer

I dont have cataplexy though in which I'm thankful for although I did have the same symptoms when I was about 10.

Best Answer

I have the problem that i wake up naturally without a alarm clock and i am since 9 months every day  tired in the morning. The tiredness gone et the erliest after 1 hour. I have nothing found in the blood test expect vitamin a  lack. I am taking enoght vitamin a, d, and zink. My morning cortisol is very good. 

I have bought the fitbit charge 2 and have make my first sleep tracking. 

Day1:  Awake 12,1% Rem 15,5 % Light 58% Deep 14,4 %  Awakening during REM Sleep 

Day 2: Awake 12,7% REM 19,% Light 52,9% Deep 14,8% Awakaning during REM Sleep 

Day 3: Awake  15,6% REM 20,1% Light 43,3% Deep 21,1% Awakening during REM Sleep

Day 4: Awake 9,6% REM 16,6% Light 55,3% Deep 18,4% Awakening during Light Sleep 

What your meaning? The sleep looks like good..sleep Laboratory makes not sense. 

Is my Problem a sleep problem? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you go to a MD internist with a speciality in sleep disorders?  I have had epilepsy since a teen due to hormonal issues & anxiety.  Most doctors suggest that patients with epilepsy get exercise.  I get seizures from High aerobic activity like Zumba and running.  I slipped down to brisk walking and have been fine.  Activity gives me a better night sleep.  I now brisk walk 5 miles a day usually 4 times a week.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i had a sleeping paralysis problem a few years ago, it was too much horrific and feared me, then i check out some articles about it, and found when you are in high stress and tension your body is exhausted, so that happens.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think it is a big problem because when sleeping disorder start I become such a boar. We need some proper help and suggestion.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My sleeping disorders started in 2015. But now I am fine. At first, I am going to a cyclist and he gives me a perfect solution. He says to me that it happened for the cycle. Last two years I put custom earplugs in the ear when I go to sleep. But now I am fine absolutely.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

I suddenly awoke out last night I don't know the why. I feel sleeping disorder because I dreamed what I do in a day and my mind absorbed in that matter.

Kindly tell me what called this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I want to suggest something about sleeping disorders. There are several customs earplugs for your good night rest. A few months ago I felt like that but now every night when I go to sleep a silicone ear plug I put in my ear. I don't feel that I put something in my ear. It gives me release from the surrounding sound of outside

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sleep Disorders can happen forage. Some people deep thought about something and fell into a great depression, and he spent his rest night sleepless. Then he feels that something is wrong with him. But it seems to be his mental situation effects on his body and through the body becomes so tired but don't get sleep.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I am 17 years, I don't know, but my father says to me that I speak when I go to sleep at night. I remember that I am very interested in reading the book, and every time of the day, I continued it. At night I am going to sleep at 11 o clock. But when I am sleeping at night, I am starting my reading, and it continued till 5-7 minute. Then my Dad shakes my hand and asks then something happen wrong with me. I don't say anything about this; then I am in a deep sleep.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you. I am glad to know that you do not need to wear a CPAP mask yet. I do not believe that Fitbit records sleep on its app when wearing a CPAP mask during sleep.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Mine does pick up my sleep but sometimes I think I go straight into REM and it still thinks I'm awake.

All is for your sleeping disorders and happened everything in your dream. Don't sure but maybe.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Maryalicecotter wrote:
Thank you. I am glad to know that you do not need to wear a CPAP mask yet. I do not believe that Fitbit records sleep on its app when wearing a CPAP mask during sleep.

Sent from my iPad

CPAP is one of the best masks of Fitbit. It helps to sleep, people during sleep. I agree with you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for your help and thoughts for my husband who is finally wearing CPAP on regular basis. But Fitbit will not pick up his sleep on Fitbit app. I will give a call to Fitbit. I really appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes