Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you had a better sleep & score not using CPAP?

After years of being the butt of my family's snoring jokes and comments, I finally decided to get a sleep test and was diagnosed with at least slight obstructive sleep apnea last June 2020.  Due to COVID this diagnosis was based on an at home sleep device test over the course of one night only.  That is to say I did not have to spend a night in any sort of sleep observation room like many usually need to do to get insurance approved CPAP therapy and equipment. 

At times I think the CPAP therapy helps at times I'm not so sure. The Fitibt score and criteria definitely dive deeper and provide a better window into true overall sleep than my CPAP app's score, which is based solely on pressurization, lack of air leaks and time of use.

With that being said I recently started tracking and comparing my Fitbit Charge 4 sleep scores with when I do and do not use my CPAP machine.  I found that my Fitbit sleep scores are almost always significantly better when I do not use the CPAP.  Lately I've been trying to be more in tune with how I feel when I wake and throughout the day, and feel that I actually may be getting worse sleep using my air machine.  Anyone else in the FBC who may use CPAP and Fitbit sleep score's  see or think or feel anything like this? 

Moderator edit: subject for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
20 REPLIES 20

I've also noticed that when using CPAP my fitbit sleep score is very low. Supposedly, I'm not getting deep sleep. I think the low score may be related to my breath rate being higher when I'm using CPAP. Without CPAP, my breath rate during sleep averages about 12 BPM.  With CPAP, it goes up to 15 BPM. My guess is that Fitbit is using, along with other metrics, a decline in breath rate to determine a person has entered deep sleep. I'm feeling better now that I'm using CPAP and am confident I'm getting deep sleep - even though my Fitbit says I'm not getting any. 

Best Answer