Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart Rate Chart Differs from Heart Rate Zones Chart While Sleeping

While sleeping, my "Heart Rate Zone" chart consistently shows a dramatic spike in heart rate (>140) at almost exactly the same time every night - between 1:30 am and 2 am, and almost always between 1:40 am and 1:50 am. I looked back over the past 14 nights and 13 of them had this spike during this time period.

Heart Rate Zone Chart 

However, this spike is not shown at all on the normal "Heart Rate" chart, or in the dashboard online.

Heart Rate Chart 

Online Dashboard

These charts all are exactly the same - except for the unexplained spike while sleeping. Also, the portion in the "Heart Rate Zone" tile that shows "When you got your minutes" never includes the overnight elevated heart rate.

Why wouldn't they match? Is the "Heart Rate Zone" chart more granular than the other two, showing a true spike every night? Or is it a glitch in the "Heart Rate Zone" chart since the other two do not corroborate it?

I have a Fitbit Vera, Version 71.6.19. I don't drink alcohol so that's not a potential reason for the fluctuation at night.

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

Additional screenshots:

From the dashboard, I can see that the time buckets are in 5 minute increments:

Dashboard Granular

With the "Heart Rate Zone" chart, it shows a spike to 141 at exactly 1:45 am - how could the "average" from 1:45 to 1:50 am be 59, if there was a spike of any real duration to 141 during that time period?

Heart Rate Zone Granular

Best Answer

This is frustrating. It has to be a glitch. Mine does the exact same thing around 1:30am. It will look normal in the morning, but after I do an exercise during the day, it ads a dramatic spike at 1:30am for that day. It has been doing this since the active zone update.

Best Answer

Did anyone ever get an answer here? This glitch still happens to me!

Best Answer

I’m wondering the same thing. This has just recently started happening to me. For example, this morning at 1:42 am the target heart rate zone chart shows my heart rate at 145 bpm but my sleeping heart rate chart shows it at 78 bpm at the exact same time. 

Best Answer

I have the same exact issue! 

8F67F259-D59E-44F4-B82A-03D7F97D8E0A.png

Best Answer

I’m glad to see other people are experiencing the same issue. I went to a cardiologist today for an ECG bc I thought my heart rate was spiking (140+) at 1-2am every night. My doctor even prescribed me beta blockers bc of it!!! So yeah this is a big problem. This is reassuring though. The HR chart says it was at 67 at same time the target HR chart said 141. 

Best Answer

Does anyone know what the answer is to this? Mine spiked to at 1:16, and the numbers are different between the time zone heart rate graph and resting heart rate zone graph.

Best Answer

I found this post through Google because I'm experiencing a similar issue.  However, in my case often times I see HR activity on both graphs, but the Active Zone graph is much higher.  For example my regular HR graph said my HR was 103, but the Zones graph said it was 124.

I really need to know what's *actually* happening with my heart rate in these instances.  I know Fitbit is not an FDA medical device but it should not be telling two stories from the same data.  The original post was almost 3 years ago, I hope they do something about this.

Best Answer

I just noticed this recently as well. Looks like it has been going on for about 3 years or so. I guess it was never fixed, just glad I am not the only one experiencing this spike at around 1:00 am on an almost daily basis. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This bug is still happening to me, over 2 years later. I've noticed a very clear pattern where it shows an abnormal overnight spike only when I exercise earlier in the day - it appears to be something simple like the X axis is overlapping and transposing the exercise heart rate on to the time when I'm asleep

Best Answer

I am noticing the same thing. When I look in the morning, my HR chart while sleeping looks fine, but after I exercise and look in the evening, there is a spike at 1:30am. It seems to add this back in later, aligning roughly with my peak HR during the day. My sleep restoration HR tracker shows nothing not does my "When you got your minutes" report. Before I noticed the misalignment I went to see a doctor that day at the rushed urging of urgent care line got a bunch of tests and an EKG, which were all fine. While I'm reassured now by HR tracker in the morning and my sleep restoration HR tracking, I'm baffled why Fitbit is adding a HR spike for 1-1:30am later on in the day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing for me. Has anyone tried a different hr tracker like apple or carmín to compare??

Best Answer
0 Votes