Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you develope a sleep pattern ?

I can see this being simply answered by going to bed the same time and waking up the same time every day or , no devices 30 min before bed, but I deal with many uncontrolled factors when trying to get sleep and its really starting to bug me how little  deep sleep I get ! whats normal for deep sleep any way ? if I'm not getting good sleep am I just wasting  too much time trying ? cause if I'm trying to sleep and i have 9 hrs attempting this but only 45min to an 1h20 is deep sleep is it worth it ? take Monday as an example i got 5hrs 28 m of sleep 3h22 light 1 hr deep , 1 hr6 rem sleep .

here are some of the reasons i don't sleep

i work nights , i have the black out curtains but it doesn't keep all light out

i live with 5 other people none of which are on the same schedule as me

there is a dog in the home that barks often and loudly

and an inconsistent temp makes it hard to get comfortable .

what should I do ? and does anyone else know my pain of being on graveyard shift ?

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Have you compared your sleep stages with the benchmark that's shown on the app? Sounds like you get more deep sleep than I do and I'm well within benchmark normally.

I have given myself a device curfew, no phone after 7pm, and am strict with bed times and waking up times as the routine really benefits me. Also I have my nighttime routine of yoga, meditation, epsom salts bath & reading.

Allie
Best Answer
0 Votes

Your saying only 45 min to 1hr 30m  of deep sleep is better than the bench mark nightly average ?

@Alicat2104 wrote:

Have you compared your sleep stages with the benchmark that's shown on the app? Sounds like you get more deep sleep than I do and I'm well within benchmark normally.

how do you even find what is listed as the bench mark ? that doesn't seem healthy if that is the case .

If it is better then average than why am I so tired after waking up and feel like I've been tossing and turning more then actually sleeping ? I think its time to hit the books and find out more about sleep in general .

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TheDoctorClara

I strongly recommend Sleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson, it's very good, also he has a podcast (The Model Health Show) which you may like.

Allie
Best Answer
0 Votes

@TheDoctorClara wrote:

what should I do ? and does anyone else know my pain of being on graveyard shift ?

I work a normal 8 hour day M-F and do two overnight shifts (F into Sat ) and (Sat into Sund), so I understand the frustration. 

What's worked for me.

1. I break up my sleep during the weekend.  I try for a 4-5 hour swing first thing (usually 8-1) and then do another 2-3 hours (6-9) just before going to work at 10.  I've got 3 boys, who can be crazy, so try to get what I can in the morning, spend time with them and then try to get another nap in.

2. Melatonin supplement has done wonders for me.  I've had a hard time relaxing after going full bore for 8 hours over night.  

3. Blackout curtains and a white noise machine 

4.  If all else fails, get some netflix and chill on for an hour and then pass out~

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TheDoctorClara, how much awake time did you have for the night posted above? And how much REM? Too much awake or two little REM can both cause fuzziness/tiredness the next morning.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes