Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Sleep score work?

ANSWERED

Can someone please explain Sleep Score to me

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

Best Answer
229 REPLIES 229

I stlll see all the information that I used to: sleep stages, time in each stage, etc.  and the sleep score is just another thing.   So if all the old info is there, why should this added feature cause the problems it apparently is?  Am I missing something.  I use a Charge 2.   True, the sleep score doesn't seem to make sense or be a consistent index of my sleep quality but I can just ignore it and continue to check my other data every day.  

Best Answer
The average sleep total for the week is gone, which was valuable. I try to
use a nap during the day to bump my average up, as my work schedule allows.
Granted it's not a perfect way to measure sleep totals and n=sample size 1
(me) but it was an effective tool that both motivated and gauge my sleep.
Best Answer
Do you see average weekly sleep? I don't and my Charge HR doesn't support the sleep score function--- I look like a zombie with a zero sleep score all week, every week, even before the new sleep score function was rolled out. Zero. I've checked back as far as a year ago. No historical average sleep for the week. Just zero.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer

But wouldn't it be better to have something that is useful to you?  I used the sleep averages all the time.  It helped me to change to sleep habits and make sure I wasn't getting away from a consistent sleep time.  I can still see averages by logging into the computer APP but not on my phone. If I do not have access to my computer (I travel without my computer) I do miss the averages and have to do the math myself.

Best Answer

There's a huge problem with the whole idea of this score, it's scientifically and genetically unsound.

There are a significant number of "short sleepers" in the world that actually have better health than the 8+ hour sleepers and the score is very weighted by length of sleep.

Take a look at the following:

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2019/08/415261/after-10-year-search-scientists-find-second-short-sleep-gen...

The "sleep score" is a bad idea on many levels.

Best Answer

Thank you, that is a very interesting article.  I wonder if I have the short sleep gene.  I can get 3 hrs sleep and still have a full day.  Rarely do I take a nap.

Best Answer

I wonder if that's the problem with mine. I have an Alta, and when the app updated to show the average sleep score (instead of hours), mine just shows zero for the sleep score & I don't have the average sleep score graph either. The figures for average hours slept still show up when I log into my dashboard on the website, but I use the app for a reason. It's more convenient than logging into the website every time.

Best Answer

@pastimz wrote:
Do you see average weekly sleep? I don't 

See this other topic.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I don't see it anymore. It's disappeared and replaced by that truly useless sleep score.

Best Answer

@SleplssElsewher wrote:

I don't see it anymore. It's disappeared and replaced by that truly useless sleep score.

It is there: just follow the instructions.

OTOH, there are none so blind as those who will not see.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

Just FYI for people who see only a zero for sleep score & no sleep score slide-if your Fitbit does not measure heart rate, you cannot see sleep cycles. If you can't seer sleep cycles, then you can't see sleep score. This is the information I got from the Fitbit Help article on sleep cycles. I have an older Alta that doesn't measure heart rate, so all I will ever see is a 0 for my sleep score. Not very helpful.

Best Answer

My old HR does measure the heart rate but I get zero for the sleep score on my phone and cannot find the average sleep no matter where I swipe.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sheesh, yeah. I'm not getting it anymore either. Weird.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

I was wondering about this sleep score thing and googled it where I found this thread,. However,  I also found that this is related to sleep number beds "sleep iq" technology. Sounds more like a money making deal with another company than something that us non sleep number bed owners really need or want. Please make optional!!!!

Best Answer

I agree 100%. The sleep average data is sooooooo useful while the “grade” is pretty worthless. 

Best Answer

Simply put, your sleep duration could be longer but the quality of your sleep could be poorer. Longer sleep does not necessarily mean better sleep quality.

Best Answer

@pastimz wrote:

My old HR does measure the heart rate but I get zero for the sleep score on my phone and cannot find the average sleep no matter where I swipe.

By "old HR", your probably mean "Charge HR". If so, check what this help article says:

If you use a Fitbit device with heart-rate tracking (except Fitbit Charge HR and Fitbit Surge) to track your sleep, you'll see a record of the sleep stages you cycle through at night.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
Yes, I have seen that article before. Nothing new for me. Thanks, though.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer

Completely agree with the writers request. Don’t force this new sleepers score on us.

I also don’t think the algo is working very well not accurately.

Was happy with how the sleep tracker worked before which felt accurate and reflected sleep duration and quality well.

Best Answer

I too still see all the old info including weekly average, so for me the sleep score is just an added bonus. I have been loving the score because it does factor in several variables and not just sleep duration. In fact, at least to me, the sleep duration average is not very useful as it does not account for the quality of sleep. This is where the sleep score shines....even though mine is not where I would like it to be! The sleep average is deceiving as one could be sleeping 8 hours every night and still have poor sleep quality. Also, as a holistic practitioner I know that people's perception of "how they slept" is also inaccurate. Many poor sleepers think they just slept "fine" because their body is used to crappy sleep. So, yeah for the sleep score.

Best Answer