Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Sleep score work?

ANSWERED

Can someone please explain Sleep Score to me

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

Best Answer
229 REPLIES 229

The problem with the sleep score is that "modifying behavior, sleep environment and diet" works much better in theory than practice. Some people just sleep more soundly than others and it matters not what they do to manage light, sound, bedding, pre-sleep routine, daily habits, exercise and diet. It does not matter how much they try and control stress in their lives, and how much support they get from others. They just sleep badly, and waking to a poor sleep score is simply a disincentive to wear their Fitbit in the first place.

A person who pays good money for a Fitbit, who OWNS a Fitbit, ought to have the authority to turn off that one destructive function if they do not want it.

Best Answer

Amen!  You explained this perfectly 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I love the sleep score. Length of sleep seems to have little to do with how rested I feel in the morning. And seeing how the night was broken into REM and deep sleep makes a huge difference. I find it very interesting. I’m sorry it upsets you. 

Best Answer

I view the sleep scores as enjoyable works of fiction. I get poor scores when i have massive amounts of REM and Deep sleep, and much better  scores when I have half the amount of those theoretically critical sleep categories.

A frustrating feature is that as I improve my sleep habits, my resting heart rate drops, making it nearly impossible to get a lot of bonus points for achieving a lower sleeping heart rate. My resting heat rate vacillates between 55-65. So when its 55, my sleeping heart rate is rarely lower, even though the 55 score shows a very healthy living style. So the algorithm penalizes my healthy lifestyle.

Best Answer
0 Votes

They answered this without answering this. There is most definitely a formula that they use to compute the number. Why can't they tell us? I suppose it's proprietary. I'm tempted to do some numerical analysis, but I suspect it requires the raw data. Is that available? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would love to see individual scores for each of the three areas.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Understood the answer is the best from others but still doesnt explain at all how the score is calculatef. I would like to know exact equations and wrights put to each cathegory: duration, qiality and restoration. It is norm in developed countries to supply such info and this information should b widely available preferably in user manual to fitbit watches.

Also I donf understand why access to my own data like sleeping heartbeat or body temperature should be a premium service paid extra. Absolute scandal. Should be free.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did not fully understand sleep scores until I started using my Fitbit Inspire and Premium Fitbit APP, for tracking my sleep scores for REM, Deep and Restorative. I no longer stress about sleep as much as I used to. I had issues with falling asleep and staying asleep with a very active mind, and long working hours for decades.  I now use a special advanced delivery liposomal super blend nutrition supplement as an adjunct to give me quality sleep, but I additionally track the quality of my sleep scores. When I started using the science based advanced delivery sleep.supplement, my sleep scores were almost always from GOOD too EXCELLENT. 

My Fitbit premium App is an essential part of my overall management to get the GOOD to EXCELLENT sleep scores. I now know that the time asleep is only 50% of the total sleep score. My special nutrition supplement is helping me personally to get the the other 25% Deep & REM and the 25% Restorative scores better!!! It has been life changing for me since 2020!!! I have never felt healthier and more rested with no brain fog, getting consistently quality sleep, since using my nutrition supplement and some of the sleep tips in the Fitbit APP, which has improved the quality in my life. Hence, I am sharing  widely with anyone talking about sleep health issues.  Fitbit is mentioned in our recent health and wellness conversation series session specific to SLEEP, sharing my personal story and others, and there is mention of sleep scores in the conversation too.  We must all make sleep health a priority as one of the three pillars for good health and longevity

Many have asked for a recording and if you find it useful, please pay forward and share widely with someone who might benefit from learning about sleep health.  You can find the recordings on my Youtube channel DrCarolinehongFAICD  Many people have found it useful.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit sleep score is quite simply the number of hours logged as sleep divided by total hours spent in bed times 100 to give you a percentage.  It is not an indication of quailty per se.  Think of it as a ‘sleep efficiency’ number.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also don't understand that at all. I've been tracking my sleep and always get in the mid to high 70s, in spite of 4.5 hours of sleep or 8, I'm exhausted and I check my sleep score and it will say "78" for 5 hours... which is extremely confusing and feels like the information is just made up.

Best Answer