Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Sleep score work?

ANSWERED

Can someone please explain Sleep Score to me

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

Best Answer
229 REPLIES 229

Hi - I’m not sure if all the models have that feature. My Fitbit is several years old and is a Charge 2.
With mine, the app opens up to the dashboard. Then one of the selections is to SET A SLEEP GOAL. Once you do that, sleep SCORES should start appearing in the morning that show how long you slept, the level of sleep and the sleep score. I hope this helps but if not you might check in the user guide or the Fitbit website - or maybe YouTube. Take care.
P.S.  All caps added to focus on confusion between a sleep goal and a sleep score - meant only for clarity, not to be snarky. Thanks!
Sent from my iPhone

Best Answer

Hey guys, sorry for my question but why do you need to set your sleep score? I don't know about you but in my case, it doesn't work. Maybe it is because of my job. I don't have a standard program for work. Sometimes I'm working during the day, sometimes during the night, and of course, during the day and the night lol. But I'm lucky to have real friends. So one of them told me about the chewable melatonin for kids. He told me that it is a supplement that will help me to relax and to fall asleep easier. You know he really gives it to his son 'cause he started to sleep badly. So maybe soon I'll be able to set my sleep score too.

Best Answer
You don't set it, you get it!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone. @SeanRa, welcome to the community forums! @MamaDog48 @Esso1962 thanks for your great input and I am happy to see you around! 

@SeanRa as @Esso1962 mentioned, the sleep score is automatically received. But in order for you to receive it, you also need to receive sleep stages and it is also based on your heart rate, the time you spend awake or restless. I invite you to visit this help article that explains how sleep score works. What's sleep score in the Fitbit app?

For Sleep stages, please click here

Hope this helps! 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

You can do a lot of things to improve. Mostly by modifying behavior, sleep environment and diet. Hours slept is just one part of your sleep score.

Best Answer

Hello @pikesPete. Welcome to the community forums! 

Thank you very much for your feedback. Please note that any feedback posted in the forums is always welcome as it helps to improve our products, services and overall environment.

See you around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sleep score needs to improve w/o an itemized list of things to improve,
and then there are those who will never rate a good sleep score no matter
how slavishly they follow all the criteria of good sleep hygiene.

Moderator edit: word choice

Best Answer

@SleplssElsewher Nice to see you around. 

I appreciate all your comments and feedback and please note that those comments won't be taken for granted. In addition, our team is always working to enhance your experience and your feedback is a big part of that process.

If you experience any inconvenience or if you have any questions or inquiries, please post them in a new thread. 

See you around. 

Best Answer

The most confusing thing I ran into was, when I first bought the watch I thought I had to tell it when I went to sleep and it wouldnt track anything really in that mode. Also when I would walk everyday I told it when to start and when to stop. It only tracked the steps and the GPS data everything else was blank.

Ive found now when I sleep I just let it automatically figure it out which i suppose is how its suppose to work. When I exercise I just exercise and let it figure it out, Id like to have GPS data and heart rate ext, But it looks like you can only have one or the other.

some sort of message or tutorial stating that the sleep part is automatic would go along way. Thanks

Best Answer

Hello @jeffosoft. Welcome to the community forums! 

Thank you very much for the detailed information and for being part of the Fitbit family. At this time, I'd like to let you know that all wrist-based Fitbit devices automatically detect your sleep when you wear your device to bed. When your body is completely at rest and you haven’t moved for about an hour, your Fitbit device records that you’re asleep. For more information, I recommend check here: How do I track my sleep with my Fitbit device?

For your workouts, most Fitbit devices automatically track several exercises, including a walk, run, or elliptical workout. For more information, see How do I track my activity with my Fitbit device? You can also get more details here: How do I track my workouts with my Fitbit device?

Lastly, I recommend clicking here if you have questions about how to track workouts but using GPS. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think that trying to lower down your heartbeat by doing breathing sessions before sleeping can also affect your sleep score. Last night I did a little bit of breathing sessions before sleeping, when I woke up today I got a 90 perfect sleep score. So that’s why I think your heart rate also affects it in some way.

Best Answer

Can you give an example of timing/percentage?

In each phase? Maybe the difference between a 74 percent and an 84 percent? And explain what the key factor in getting the higher score is?

I can't figure it out. Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’m not your helpdesk, sorry.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes
Good morning. I was the original poster on this thread. I wish I could help you but I don’t understand Sleep Score either. I gave up on Sleep Score not long after I wrote the original post. I only use Fitbit for the step count. It has become an expensive pedometer with the watch as a side benefit. I hope someone on here can be kind and give you some pointers. Take care and I hope you have a great 2022.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
It was another person on this thread that asked the question- not me. No need for snarky comments - be kind or be quiet please.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I don’t use Sleep score either. My wrists get sore if I wear it at night. I
too only use it for the step count and time.
Jules
Best Answer
0 Votes
The sleep score is made up of 3 baskets:
1 - 50% sleep time (how many hours you actually sleep)
2 - 25% Deep & REM sleep (amount of each)
3 - 25% "Restoration" which is made of of 3 things: oxygen variation,
restlessness, and sleeping heart rate.

Hope that helps!
Best Answer
Thank you, TJGrix, for your post. That is very helpful and will benefit pretty much everyone on this thread. Happy 2022!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
You aren't the only one that is bewildered by the criteria for different
sleep 'scores'. I have given up and just try to get as good a one as
possible. The algorithm is obviously very complex.

--

*Phil Chenevert*
*At any moment, the urge to sing The Lion Sleeps Tonight is just a whim
away. *

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks, Phil - much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes