Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Sleep score work?

ANSWERED

Can someone please explain Sleep Score to me

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

Best Answer
229 REPLIES 229

I totally agree I'm sure there must be some people who like it but I'm not one of them. If they can at least give you the option how to display showing your average hours of sleep each week that would be great. They could even show that along with the Sleep score and most of us could just ignore the Sleep score and still get the average hours of sleep

Best Answer

This may be the thing that pushes me to another product. 

Best Answer

It's a scam to try to get users to by Premium. They want you to believe sleep score can improve by understanding it and getting metrics. I may switch products due to this.

Best Answer

My Fitbit is all ready to go on eBay. My Timex and a cheap pedometer will do just fine. And....I’m sleeping like a log....

Best Answer

I also agree. The sleep score is one I am attempting to improve but this is impossible. I’m considering no longer wearing my Fitbit to bed. I reached out to Fitbit customer service asking to bring back sleep average and they told me to come here to comment after I had already been here to no avail. I was asked to do a survey today which I did. When I checked the choice to voice I was not satisfied the survey turned red and stated it could not authenticate  survey. Something seems very concerning in all this. 

Best Answer

I would suggest you simply try to ignore the sleep score as much as possible, the same way you tune out anything else you might best simply ignore. The sleep score is absolutely meaningless in any assessment of my sleep. I think it must be very much influenced by sleep efficiency which is largely determined by how much time you are awake at night. I don't really mind many waking ups. I simply accept them as part of my sleep. What matters to me is amount of sleep and the amount of Deep and REM. Right now, the sleep score shows up on my android phone but not the Fitbit website on my laptop. So, that's good.

Best Answer
0 Votes

One question I have about the sleep score is what the standard is According to the benchmarks I am often sleeping as good as or better than other men my age. Yet, on a night when I I might get 7 hours sleep and in relation to other men my age about the same amount of light sleep, more deep sleep, more REM, and am awake less than other men my age I might get a sleep score barely into the 80's. What's that all about? Are ageing men my age measured by the same standard as people in their 20's? That would be like giving a kid in Grade 2 a failing grade because he didn't quite get calculus yet. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree. I do not like the concept of a sleep score number. I feel like I’m being graded on a test I can never get a really good grade on. The sleep stages are beyond my control... I can not will myself into Rem or deep sleep. I can control the time I go to bed and get up. I can control eating/ not eating. I can control whether I meditate or not. But putting myself into a better sleep stage I can not do. They should either get rid of the number or at least give us an sleep score  opt out feature. 

Best Answer

You described it perfectly- a test you can never really get a good grade on.  I’m disappointed that Fitbit is ignoring all the comments made about the Sleep Score. It doesn’t seem that complicated to just make it an optional feature. 

Best Answer

WELL SAID. It is a test I am not "passing" every single night. How's that supposed to contribute to restful sleep?! 

Best Answer

It doesn't matter where I can find additional data. The sleep score is the primary window. The "grade" cannot be avoided. I don't want to see this feature at all. 

Best Answer

Premium doesn't seem any more accurate on sleep than the free app. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was never one to care about my grades so I guess it doesn't bother me as much.  😁  It is fun to see what type of sleep i'm getting and all the interruptions aka dogs.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What I don’t understand is the majority of use users don’t find this beneficial or to the point like me where it depresses them.   
I was so depressed by seeing these failings number that I did what most people do and ate.   I gained 7 pounds before switching back to my Alta that doesn’t have the heart rate so I no longer see a score.   
how is it a health app has made people depressed and I’m sure that there are others like me that started either overeating or eating crap because this app made us feel like crap.  

Best Answer
Agree 100%. - even more disturbing is that the folks at Fitbit seem to actively ignore customer concerns. Very sad...

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Its not that the grades themselves bother me, although I question the logarithms they are using to come up with the grades, but I am just upset that you can't see the current or recent weeks average amount of sleep.
Best Answer

I totally agree  with you!

And now it has been changed to even more difficult version. The asleep and awake / restless time are separated. It just does NOT make any sense. 

I want the old look back, too.

Or at least to have an option to choose from...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree. The sleep score is complicated, useless, and unnecessary. I will also be purchasing a different product. Any suggestions for alternative devices?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the suggestion - I'm really shocked at the lack of response.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This answer explains the components of the sleep score, NOT how it is determined. It is a still a black box and meaningless. Why is there no response from fitbit, messages everyday!

Best Answer