Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to earn a 100 sleep score?

According to this article by Fitbit, most users earn a sleep score between 72-83.  Since the score is out of 100, and the display on iOS shows up as a circle that I have failed to close, I am wondering if anyone has ever actually earned a sleep score of 100.   Is it actually possible to achieve this goal?  If so, how?  Were strong sleeping pills involved?  

(Edit to add: No, I do not take sleeping pills, I do not drink, and I do not want to take any substances.  I made this comment because I believe the scoring system sets an impossible standard.  And no, I am not buying premium just to see the math).

Honestly, even on a night when I slept for over 10 hours with plenty of deep sleep, my “score” was still only an 84.  It seems impossible to earn above the low 80s.

It feels like I am taking one of those impossible “weed-out” classes in college where nobody earns above a B- and the prof doesn’t give As on principle.  Is that the model here?  

If it’s not really possible to get a sleep score of 100, why is the sleep score configured to look like an achievable “goal” from which we have somehow fallen short?  If we are doing everything in our power to get good sleep, and we still cannot earn 100 or even 90, what’s the point of it?  Fitbit has been so useful for helping me to set and reach goals.  Why create a goal that is inherently unattainable?

Best Answer
190 REPLIES 190
I typically get 90-92, 3 to 4 times a week. Sat night I got a 94 for the
1st time. I doubt anyone could get 100. I've worked very hard at improving
my sleep. I've used the sleep programs which helps, but there are so many
things that can effect your sleep, it's very difficult to maintain for a
solid week. Regardless the overall affect of improving it never ceases to
amaze me.

Pam
Best Answer

Hello @Mofganhali. Welcome to the community forums! @Koda Nice to see you around and thanks for your input! 

@Koda I totally agree with you. As you've mentioned, there could be a lot of things that could affect our sleep. Nevertheless, work on our overall sleep habits, heart health and activity levels could also help us to keep improving our sleep score @Mofganhali

Hope this helps. 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Apologies if this has been mentioned already but one of the easiest ways to lower your sleeping heart rate (so get more of it below RHR) is to drink more water, at least 2.5L a day. Not drinking enough water has same effect as drinking alcohol & raises your sleeping HR. So if you want a higher “restoration” score, try this if you haven’t already. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Drinking too much water is actually really bad for you, every person needs a different amount of water. You should also balance your water intake with electrolytes, especially if you workout or work outside.

Overhydration can cause severe nausea, vomiting, excessive sweating, chest pains, etc. If you drink too much water within an hour period, you dilute the electrolytes in your blood (I believe more than 24oz). This causes poor brain-body communication, and it reduces your blood's ability to transfer oxygen. You may feel out of breath, be unable to cool down, and feel far worse in the heat.

Take advice on how much water to drink with a grain of salt, every person has different needs based on their lifestyle, age, gender, genetic, and biological factors. 

Best Answer

I don't have the premium but I got a 91 sleep score. 8hrs 37mins

42mins awake 

2hrs 8mins REM

5hrs 50 mins light 

39mins deep

I don't understand how my score is so high and every single night I barely get any deep sleep! I usually get about 5% deep sleep. I'm always too much light sleep! Either was im proud of my 91 sleep score. I get it once in a while. 

Best Answer

I would like to see an option for us to factor in stuff like "newborn baby" "elder care"  stuff like that.  Most know that babies wake you up multiple times per night and some may know that caring for an aged parent can do the same thing.  That way the sleep score algorithm can take that into account when grading your level of sleep.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry what’s thisgotbto do with me I’m 62 I’ve not got young children

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Most of us in our 60s though do have elderly parents, right?  I'm 65 and have a 98 year old mother that needs me to help and assist her.  Most people when they reach that age need us to help and assist us just like we do young children.  And other people did comment in here that could have children.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I usually get 90 or above. Last night I got 97. I do take 3mg of melatonin and have a cup of chamomile tea before I fall asleep. I have noticed that alcohol is a major sleep disruptor. Every time I have alcohol,  I don't sleep as well. My score was 67 ! 

I think it all depends on the person. Don't stress about your score. If you feel good, it's all good! 👍

Best Answer

You can complete the circle if you set a custom number of hours asleep per night and reach it.

I actually really like the sleep score and especially appreciate that I can aim to improve it. Hitting 100 probably isn’t attainable, but I don’t think the point is to make it attainable. Anyway, if seeing the circle closed is what matters to you, set your sleep goal lower. 

PS. oversleeping will not give you a higher score, it gives them more data to judge your sleep quality. Your 84 on that 10 hour sleep probably would have been an 84 if it were 8 hours too, or more.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This makes me think ‘Fitbit premium’ is part of the ‘sleep score formula’

Best Answer
0 Votes

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I regularly, although not often, have scores in the 90s. For example, none in April, twice in March, and three times in February ...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is this part of a quote - A person who resolves to begin regular morning exercises usually does so not because he already has ? 

… thank you anyway for sharing you experience, it’s very encouraging especially as it’s what I’m currently working on 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I get a full range, this morning I have woken up with a 92. It is not uncommon for me to get 89,90,91 I just can’t tell you how I manage it. 

I was wondering if it was possible to get 100 and came across your artical. 

Best Answer

I don't think the sleep score is an "achievement", I think it was intended to be used as an indicator and to show you perhaps things that affect and ways you can improve it, if you aren't happy with how you feel after your sleep. You aren't winning or failing in this regard, a sleep score of 82 is a good thing, and you might even be putting too much pressure on yourself to hit a target. 

I have scored as low as 57 and as high as 94, and over time, it has highlighted to me how that sleep affects everything from productivity to emotional regulation. I think it is okay to say I didn't get enough rest (babies, children, worries, hot, humid days, work stress, food issues, sickness) and then ask how can I reduce the impacts or change my schedule so I feel better. I personally love the Sleep score function. As for my good nights, there is definitely a correlation between:

• how active I was during the day (not to the point where I am sore but very active throughout the entire day),
  • whether or not I got fresh air ( that seems to tire me out in a good way every time),
  • how much water I have gotten NOT just that day but usually over the course of 2-3 days. For me 2 - 3L is great 
  • whether or not my room is cool (doesn't seem to matter if I am bundled in my blankies but if the the room is colder- I sleep better),
  • Certain types of food later in the day can impact my sleep (high fat - grease or dairy, or spicy)
  • Whether or not I am managing my allergies well ( If I become stuffed up and can't breathe - it doesn't usually work out well for me sleep wise)
  • In short, if I have been physically active, mentally satiated, well hydrated, and cool, I tend to sleep deeper, longer, and I wake up refreshed without an alarm.

Interestingly, when I am living with my long-term boyfriend (20 years), my sleep score tends to be on average 9 points higher than normal (my resting heart rate, 10 points lower -COVID gave us that opportunity twice for 6 month periods) and I think that is just because he makes me feel safe. (not that I am not safe but I was a single parent for most of my children's lives and I think I was always turned "on" towards any potential dangers. I think mental state - conscious and unconscious can also play a role. It is with him that I score in the high 80's/low 90's pretty consistently. 

Best Answer
Thank you that is very interesting I think you are right to say don’t put to much pressure on oneself. I have good nights and bad nights I know I never sleep well on a Friday night because I have alcohol and certain foods can make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I totally agree with you! I can't seem to earn over 90 and I'm sleeping quite well now. I don't think I could ask more of my sleep. Since I'm a woman and over 65, my sleep seems to be well within the expected 'good sleep' of 7 to 8 hours.  With all the blanket advisories by the experts that you have to get at least 8 hours sleep, so many of us have become anxious that we aren't getting enough but in fact for a woman over 65  -

7 hours sleep at night is just fine!

When I have nights of excellent sleep (a good amount of deep sleep and rem, below resting, etc),  it would be nice to have that reflected instead of making me anxious that I'm still not 'Passing the test'!

I I too would like to know if anyone ever gets 100%! ... And then how to achieve it.

Thank you for your comment.

Cathy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a teacher and it would be very poor practice to design a test that someone couldn't ace! It is unfair to set unrealistic goals and create a bell curve that people can't achieve and/or exceed!

Best Answer
0 Votes