Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to earn a 100 sleep score?

According to this article by Fitbit, most users earn a sleep score between 72-83.  Since the score is out of 100, and the display on iOS shows up as a circle that I have failed to close, I am wondering if anyone has ever actually earned a sleep score of 100.   Is it actually possible to achieve this goal?  If so, how?  Were strong sleeping pills involved?  

(Edit to add: No, I do not take sleeping pills, I do not drink, and I do not want to take any substances.  I made this comment because I believe the scoring system sets an impossible standard.  And no, I am not buying premium just to see the math).

Honestly, even on a night when I slept for over 10 hours with plenty of deep sleep, my “score” was still only an 84.  It seems impossible to earn above the low 80s.

It feels like I am taking one of those impossible “weed-out” classes in college where nobody earns above a B- and the prof doesn’t give As on principle.  Is that the model here?  

If it’s not really possible to get a sleep score of 100, why is the sleep score configured to look like an achievable “goal” from which we have somehow fallen short?  If we are doing everything in our power to get good sleep, and we still cannot earn 100 or even 90, what’s the point of it?  Fitbit has been so useful for helping me to set and reach goals.  Why create a goal that is inherently unattainable?

Best Answer
185 REPLIES 185

@mrfilipelememos, thanks for your reply! 

Take into consideration that Fitbit estimates Sleep Stages (awake, REM, light sleep and deep Sleep) and sleep duration based on a person's movement and heart-rate patterns. The National Sleep Foundation recommends 7-9 hours of sleep per night for adults.

Here are some screenshots as example: 

You can also refer to this link to confirm the above. I'm sorry but I currently don't have specific information available to answer your questions. 

See you around. 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@mrfilipelememos   - Just last night I got a 24 out of 25 on the Restoration rating and I had a 48 Sleeping Heart Rate and had 97% Below Resting Heart Rate to get that score which translates to 96%.  I am guessing I would need to have 100% Below Resting Heart Rate to achieve a perfect Restoration score.  Overall score was a 91.  

I think one factor that is not talked about to get a high score is having a very busy/active day the day before, this results in you being really tired and going to sleep quickly with a lot of deep sleep and low heart rate. Yesterday was Sunday and I worked out and did a lot of house projects with 20,000 steps and 133 active minutes making me more tired resulting in a 91 score. 

Bottom line if you have an easy less active day it is hard to have a good sleep score as you tend to not be as tired.  I have black out shades, temp in room at 66 degrees, read and stretch before bed, etc., but I find my 90+ days fall after a very active day!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks.
I'll definitely track the active day - good sleep correlation.
Do you think 8h15 in bed (hopefully just 15 minute awake) is enough?

Btw, 2021 is the year I get my sleep in order:
- already reduced from 3 coffees a day to 1 + 1 decaf
- metta meditation before sleep makes me dose right off
- starting early rise work out (finger's crossed)
- my inspire warns me if I've been sedentary in the last hour and I
automatically go do 10 burpees (started at 5, thinking of 11 as an end goal)
- habits in place to ensure a minimum of 1,8 liters of water every day

Now, if my kids just stop calling...
Best Answer
0 Votes
Kate Venneri
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@mrfilipelememos 

I think 8:15 hours in bed with just 15 minutes awake would get you a very high score.  For me I only have a pre-workout drink with 50mg of caffeine and have it no later than 1 pm.  All the other habits you are doing should help a lot. To give you a point of reference I average 17,800 steps a day with around 20,000 for weekend and 16,000 steps during the week plus 150 active minutes a day with 2 hours of working out -weights, sandbags, biking, rucking, stretching each day now with COVID.  Being more active improved my sleep score a lot as I more tired come nighttime. 

For water I try to get 1 ounce of water for every pound (170 ounces). I stop drinking water or smoothies by 6:00 pm with a 9:30 pm bedtime and 5:00 am wake up during the workweek and a 6 to 6:30 am wake up on weekend.    

Best Answer
WOW
You are super healthy.

Pre-covid I was hitting the 10k steps daily.
Now not so much.

Your water drinking levels are also huge.
I'm ensuring at least half of that, but I don't do nearly as much exercise,
so I think I'm ok there.

On the caffeine, do you think going to zero is a worthy goal?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@mrfilipelememos - I think if your goal is to get deeper sleep I would focus on get more steps and more active minutes as that will help lower your heart rate and make you more tired.  Pre-COVID I was active but once my activity level increased during COVID my Sleep score increased.  I think drinking 1 cup of coffee and 1 cup of decaf (Assuming that totals 100mg of caffeine) early in the day would have minimal impact on sleep. Drinking the coffee before a workout where you can put the caffeine to use would be better :)!

My water levels are high because I am so active - biking, hiking with a weighted backpack, one hour of weightlifting, sandbag and heavy sled pulls make you thirsty :)!  

Best Answer

@Nevermissaday, thanks for sharing tips! 

I'll be taking advantage of your tips as well, especially because you're very active, therefore a very healthy life style. 😊 Keep up the great work! 

See you around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I get a regular score of 90's my highest score is 94 which I have gotten twice on 7hr30mins of sleep

Best Answer

Hello @Gaz278let me give you a warm welcome to our Community!

Thank you for sharing the Sleep Scores you got! 😊. This means that you have gotten excellent Sleep Score ranges. The excellent range is between 90 to 100. 😁

Have a great day! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I received a message that "9 hr 45 min You did it"  here are my stats no score was given

2 hr 15 min REM

6r 1 min Light

1 hr 29 min deep

No sleep score given so assume this is 100%

Best Answer

2 big observations I've made in optimizing my sleep score:

1. My resting heart rate during sleep has a big impact on my overall score. I've optimized this through not eating anything (or drinking alcohol) 3-4 hours before bed and not drinking anything 1-2 hours before bed. Additionally, if life happens and I can't accomplish my pre-bed fasting, I do maybe 5-10 rounds of box breathing and it seems to mitigate the impact of eating or drinking alcohol later in the evening on my resting heart rate during sleep.

2. Time asleep: this score is most confusing to me, but one insight I gathered recently is "the longer asleep, the higher my time asleep score is" is an incorrect assumption. I discovered this while on bed rest after a procedure. I woke up with a score of 91, but my fitbit thought I continued to sleep another 2-3 hours because I was so inactive and my score dropped to an 83. 

3rd bonus insight - deep sleep seems highest for me when I have a lot of mild to moderate intensity exercise during the day. Like walking around the house all day cleaning and doing chores. High intensity workouts don't seem to optimize this measure of sleep for me. I think it probably depends on how high intensity workouts impacts stress hormones for you as an individual. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi KatieFizzy.

EATING/DRINKING: I go to bed really early, so I find it hard to have
nothing to eat/drink within 3/4 hours of going to bed. Actually, I have
been (deliberately) having tea, usually chamomile, as a condition
instrument (+aiding hydration).
If I stop the tea during the summer, I'll track to see if there's any
improvement.

BOX BREATHING: Thanks for the tip. I do some guided (metta) meditation
which ends in a quasi-box meditation, which I find really good.

TIME: agree. After 7 hours of sleep, the improvements due to more time
don't seem to be linear.

EXERCISE: I'll need to check that out, steps vs sleep score correlation.

On another note, does anyone recommend a pre-bed exercise routine?
Thanks in advance.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sleep score above 90 is crazy, but as a long term sufferer, I found this guide ( treatment.danggizmos.com ) about natural pain reliever helped me to cope with pain and sleep better at night. Score about 75-85 right now, usually on lower 60s.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone. Thank you for participating in the community forums! 

@KatieFizzy @sleep_bender Thank you very much for sharing your tips and experiences. @sleep_bender I'm also glad to hear that you've been having a better Sleep Score. 

@mrfilipelememos Regarding your question about pre-bed exercise routine, you can exercise earlier in the day or at least 3 to 4 hours before you go to sleep (source). This is in order to improve your Sleep Score. 

Some additional tips are shared below: 

@jybean If you didn't receive a Sleep Score, please consider the following: Why don’t I see a sleep score in the Fitbit app?

See you around.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi @WilsonFitbit
What I meant by "pre-bed exercise routine" was not really exercising as
such, but any stretching sequences or breathing exercises that seem to help.
For example, I've been experimenting with box breathing.

Any thoughts?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@mrfilipelememos I apologize for the misunderstanding. 

Here are some stretches to add to your nightly routine. Note that stretching can also offer potential physical benefits, helping to relieve muscle tension and prevent sleep-disrupting cramps. 

1. Neck stretches: these stretches will help to relieve tension in your head, neck, and shoulders. Try to focus on maintaining good posture when doing these.

2. Seated forward bend: this stretch helps to loosen up your spine, shoulders, and hamstrings. It also stretches your lower back.

3. Bear hug: this stretch works the rhomboids and trapezius muscles of your upper back. It helps to alleviate shoulder blade discomfort or pain that’s caused by poor posture, bursitis, or frozen shoulder.

Additionally, there are some other tips that could help to sleep better. For example, quiet reading, low-impact stretching, listening to soothing music, and relaxation exercises are examples of ways to get into the right frame of mind for sleep. Lower the Lights, avoiding bright light can help you transition to bedtime and contribute to your body's production of melatonin, a hormone that promotes sleep.

Hope this helps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Great, I'll give it a try.
Thanks!
Best Answer

@mrfilipelememos It's a pleasure! 

Have a wonderful day! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve gotten a 90, but only once. I ran an 8k before bed.

Best Answer