Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions About Breathing Variability Rate

The blurb about what this is and why it matters states that minor variations may be significant...

What is the range (+/-) of change that is considered as a significant variation?  Is a change from 14 to 15 significant or not?  Just a basic statement of what is a significant range change is all I am loking for.  I don't think this would detract from any enticement to sign-up for Premium.

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

From How do I track breathing rate in the Fitbit app? 

JohnnyRow_0-1621440305277.png

And from  a Cleveland Clinic article https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/10881-vital-signs

"Respiratory rate: A person's respiratory rate is the number of breaths you take per minute. The normal respiration rate for an adult at rest is 12 to 20 breaths per minute. A respiration rate under 12 or over 25 breaths per minute while resting is considered abnormal. Among the conditions that can change a normal respiratory rate are asthma, anxiety, pneumonia, congestive heart failure, lung disease, use of narcotics or drug overdose."

An interesting thing heard in a doctor's talk, that I cannot provide reference for, and I probably am not explaining well, was that in the early days of Covid, sometimes people came to the hospital feeling okay but they found oxygen levels extremely low, but their breathing rate had gradually been increasing to make up for that, until eventually it could not longer make up for the difference; then patient would seem to suddenly get much worse, thought it had in fact been coming on gradually.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer