Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REM above benchmark

Hi!  Does anyone know what it means if your percentage of REM sleep is consistently higher than the benchmark normal range for your age?  Everything else is in the normal range except for "awake".  That is usually below the benchmark normal range.

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

Hi @Twignest,

It's hard to say because we're all so different, but it sounds fine to me. Getting less awake time than the average means the quality of your sleep is better. And for whatever reason your body uses that extra time in REM. Unless you see a huge decrease in deep sleep I think it sounds like you're getting good sleep.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for your thoughts. I generally feel that I get good quality
sleep, which is really wonderful since I used to have terrible
insomnia. I've worked really hard to resolve that.

--
~(;;;)~ Jan
How to handle stress like a dog: If you can't eat it or play with it, then pee on it and walk away.
Best Answer

I don't know the answer, but I share your sleep pattern. I'm consistently over the benchmark for REM and sometimes way over the benchmark. I do have bouts of insomnia and typically the day following a bad night's sleep, my REM sleep is way over the benchmark. I figure for whatever reason my brain prioritizes REM sleep or it has something to do with how the fitbit interprets and classifies my sleep patterns as REM sleep.

Best Answer

Same Here!!

my REM sleep is consistently  above the benchmark in the 24%-36% range (28% mean).

When it gets to the mid thirties I can usually tell though, and I feel a little groggy when waking.

Also, my deep sleep is consistently lower at 5%-15% (12% mean).

Best Answer

Where do you see the benchmark info?  I have a charge 2 and though I see the sleep stages on my laptop, I don't seem to be able to access the benchmarks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

In the Fitbit App, click on the sleep tile.

Then click the night you want info for.

Then scroll down and you see a bar with     Last Night | 30 Day Avg | Benchmark

Click on Benchmark.

You will then see your benchmark info.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Twignest, welcome back.

Are you still experiencing higher than benchmark REM sleep?

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, frequently or if the REM in on target, my light sleep is higher. 
The only time I don't feel that I've slept well is when the deep sleep
is below the benchmark.  It seems the only time the benchmarks look
perfect is when I haven't gotten enough hours in total.  On the days I
have to be up very early for work I often don't get to bed early
enough.  I only work 1 or 2 days a week, and I know the problem is
getting up later on my off days.  I've been trying to get to bed earlier
every night, but sometimes it just doesn't happen!

--
~(;;;)~ Jan
How to handle stress like a dog: If you can't eat it or play with it, then pee on it and walk away.
Best Answer
Nope.  Doesn't work.  I only see a graph with "sleep stages".  It gives me my time in each stage but no benchmark comparison.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Actually, I can't access benchmark info on the dashboard so I don't know.
HIM46
Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, I don't know.  Perhaps your app need updating?  You could contact tech support also.  Sorry I can't be more help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Twignest  I have the same question and can only say it justifies waking up feeling tired from all that running from monsters I've been doing in my dreams!

Best Answer
0 Votes