Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep Score? Let's have Fat Score too! Best motivation!

That beautiful Sleep Score that appeared on our Fitbit devices today was a brilliant idea to make people not feel bad about themselves first thing in the morning. Without a possibility to opt out! Yaass!

Seeing someone grading me according to some abstract " ideal sleep" and showing me that probably I should be feeling unwell and not very productive during the day because I haven't hit someone's made up standard tonight, was such a great and motivating start of my day today, that I came up with an idea - let's go further and introduce Weight Score! Or better, FAT SCORE! Let's show people this Poor or Meh label not only on the sleep screen, but everywhere across the app, preferably at the top of the screen and with some giant flashy number, authoritatively confirming how Poor someone did and how Meh they should feel. Preferably every morning!

Just like that brilliant, forced and into-your-face sleep score you can't hide from, Fat Score would motivate people work harder and reach their goals faster, to finally hit that standard put out there by someone at some glossy FIT-the-standard-or-die-BIT magazine.

Right? What do you think? Great idea? Isn't it the same idea behind the sleep score, that was forced on everyone, without a possibility to hide it?

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

There is in fact some kind of  "fat score", it’s called BMI. Arguably not invented by Fitbit, but it’s there "forced" on each of us, including graph with ranges labeled as "under", "ideal" and "over".

If you don’t want to see the sleep score, just remove the sleep tile from your app.

I thought one of the reasons for getting a Fitbit was to help us have a healthier lifestyle. This includes breaking bad news too.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

1. BMI score is optional and it's not flashing Poor in my face every morning. You can choose when you want to see it, if at all.

2. "Bad news" according to whom?! How the hell you decide who is poor and who is great? Based on what? People have very different needs, patterns, physical conditions and disabilities. And I haven't authorized anyone to make blatant assumptions about mine. I know my needs and if I ever need to be benchmarked, I benchmark myself only to my own needs, my body and my health.

And even if I do have a bad day, trust me, I KNOW it myself. I don't want anyone to grade and judge and tell me what I already know and trying to work on.

3. You know NOTHING and these **ahem**s at Fitbit know NOTHING about psychology and motivation if they think that judging and imposing some abstract standards on anyone and telling them they are a failure is a good way to motivate.

4. I already removed the sleep tile from my dashboard, making the device useless for me. Why do I need to pay so much for a simple step counter and some basic period calendar? I know that Fitbit doesn't care, but with attitude to users and their feedback, I'm not buying any new Fitbit ever.

Best Answer

Wonderful analogy! Well put! 

I've put my one-star rating into the App Store.

I took the sleep tile off my app.

And now, I've taken the FitBit off my wrist entirely.  See you in the funny pages 🙂

Freedom!

Best Answer

Coincidentally -- another change to the dashboard was to switch the weight tile from a progress indicator, to a big fat demotivating number.  I removed that one as soon as it showed up.

I'm just getting back into exercising after being off the wagon for a couple years due to health and family issues.  These updates aren't helping.  I've actually now benched my FitBit because of these unhelpful (harmful) scores and readouts -- kind of enjoying the freedom from the minutia and looking forward to focusing on the big rocks.

We still have our old Wii, I'll be using that for fitness tracking going forward - don't have to worry about being blindsided by app "enhancements" there.

Best Answer

I don't know if anybody at Fitbit keeps track of these comments, but for the record I hate the "sleep score". I actually really liked the 'sleep' feature before; I don't need to be "scored" by some arbitrary standard. There should at the very least be a "yes/no" option for showing the score. Ugh.

Best Answer

Yeah I really liked the old sleep data too. Very informative and factual, and you could see your patterns over time.

The new score method turned me off sufficiently to stop wearing my FitBit entirely.  

I think FitBit has jumped the shark with this update.

Best Answer

Since Fitbit hasn't chosen to jump in with any replies, please voice your opinion here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Removing-the-sleep-score/idi-p/3611214?fbclid=Iw...

Seems like a lot of people are on the "hate it" side, so we're not alone.

Best Answer