Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep disorder? Too much REM, not enough deep, and irregular cycles.

I am very tired today and noticed I had almost 2.5 hours of REM and just over a half hour of deep. Usually I get around 1.5 hours of each, roughly. But this lack of deep sleep also happens quite often, along with extremely irregular sleep cycles.

I am moderately active and eat pretty healthy, I go to bed at a good time every night, use half a mg melatonin and half a unisom with half a diluted shot of 12% liquor to help me sleep. I also take a small dose (5 mg ER of Adderall every morning) which helps me sleep big time. My doctor knows I do this and has okayed the melatonin and unisom at night with the adderall in the morning.

Before doing this medication routine I had severe insomnia. So now I get usually 6.5-8 hours of sleep and sleep well through the night, but my cycle is very strange and I usually seem to be lacking in deep sleep. I'd say my fitbit is misreading my cycles, but when it says I don't enough deep I feel miserable, very tired. What does it mean to be getting little deep but a lot of REM? And why are my cycles so crazy and irregular half the time? Is this sign of a sleep disorder, or is fitbit possibly misreading my cycles? I would really like to add photos of my cycles but don't know how.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @Tezi

For most of your quetsions, nobody here can answer for you. You'd have to talk with a doctor and get a sleep study done to be sure.

It could be an accuracy issue, but if you're consistently feeling bad when you don't get enough deep sleep, there may be something to that. Again, the doctor would have to verify.

From the small amount of research I've done, it seems the deep sleep is tied more to the physical part of us, where REM is tied more to the mental/emotional side. I notice when I have a lot of mental acitvity, or a lot of emotions to process, the REM goes up and deep goes down.

When I don't get enough deep sleep, my physical performance goes down. If I don't get enough REM, then my mind tends to get foggier. I haven't figured out how to control any of that, just observed it in my case.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sleep Cycle: Best sleep-tracker app and Misfit Ray is The best sleep tracker under £50. sleeping has been a great challenge for me growing up I imaginea lot and some times I go to sleep by 3 am and if I go to sleep before 1 am I do thank God because I feel more comfortable in the morning. I started tracking my sleep at the age to 37 now I am 48 and I learned to

Lower the Room Temperature. Share on Pinterest,

Use the "4-7-8" Breathing Method,

Relax your entire face, including the muscles inside your mouth.

Drop your shoulders to release the tension and let your hands drop to the side of your body.

Exhale, relaxing your chest.

Relax your legs, thighs, and calves.

Clear my mind for 10 seconds by imagining a relaxing scene.

Best Answer
0 Votes