Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep starting time inaccurate

ANSWERED

Recently, My Versa doesn't start my sleep time accurately. I.E. I went to bet at 11:00 PM on Friday night and my fitbit says my sleep did not start until 3 AM. I know I did not lay there for 3 hours, I don't remember lying awake for very long at all. This has happened 2 or 3 times in the past week.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @RonRM 

I've had this happen a couple of times too, sometime because my heart rate is a bit higher than my normal resting. No matter what the reason is, you can edit your sleep time and the score will adjust. On your mobile device go to the Today screen, view the details of your sleep score for the day you want to edit/correct, in the upper right corner of the screen you will see ... select it and you should see a menu:

Edit Log

Delete Sleep Log

Edit to change your time asleep.

Hope that helps.

Marci | Bellevue, WA

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

Hi @RonRM 

I've had this happen a couple of times too, sometime because my heart rate is a bit higher than my normal resting. No matter what the reason is, you can edit your sleep time and the score will adjust. On your mobile device go to the Today screen, view the details of your sleep score for the day you want to edit/correct, in the upper right corner of the screen you will see ... select it and you should see a menu:

Edit Log

Delete Sleep Log

Edit to change your time asleep.

Hope that helps.

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
Yes, thank you Marci.
Best wishes,
Ron Melka
Best Answer

I tried this but the time that was 'missing' is showing as blank (not awake or deep etc), so adjusting the log doesn't seem to help. 

Best Answer

Thank you. Marci. Have tried this and it seems to work. Wish I could get it to include my regular afternoon nap in my sleep time as well. I have had serious sleep problems for about 20 years. Nothing seems to work. Problems with prostate but made worse since heart-attack in 2011. My resting heart-rate is 58 bpm (with medication). Trying to use app to improve matters. Every blessing, Alan

BTW I live in Scotland where "old" is "auld".

Best Answer

Fitbit charge 3 firmware version 28200001.88.11 fails to track sleep accurately after update. We've reset the user data and rebooted to the smiley face. Can we doo anything else?

Best Answer
I think I found something that works most of the time. I delete the one entered automatically and log in the start and end time manually. It then seems to log it properly, with the various levels of sleep, most of the time. I have a few days where it has changed light sleep to restless and doesn't count it as sleep.
Thanks
Ron
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Ron, what you describe actually happens to me often except mine happens when I wake early and can't sleep. I've found that reading in bed when I wake up at 4 or 5 am helps me to relax and fall back to sleep. But sometimes my Fitbit doesn't register the fact that I'm awake. There are times when I read for an hour or more without getting sleepy again - but my Fitbit often logs this as time spent asleep. I have a low resting heart rate (58-62 bpm) so maybe that's why. But when I do fall back to sleep - and sometimes have intense dreams - my Fitbit often shows I was awake. This one is harder to understand since my resting heart rate is very consistent. I wish Fitbit would publish more details on how it tracks sleep and explain these misinterpretations. Sometimes I start doubting myself and my perception/memory of waking and sleeping times. 

Best Answer

How do I do this on my desktop? My starting times for sleep are wrong too frequently...I like to keep track of my cycles and I figure you can't do that with edited data? BTW...I use an ionic

Thanks,

Ron

Best Answer
0 Votes

My new Inspire 2 shows a delay for :60+ for my starting sleep time.

I peaked at my watch as a lay down to sleep, it was 10:30...I'm not positive but pretty sure I normally fell a sleep in a few minutes. (I certainly didn't lay awake a long time) in the morning the sleep stages showed my going to sleep around 11:45 .... a full :75 minutes after I had gone to bed (and to sleep)

What do ya'll think about dealing with this?

Best Answer

2nd night in a row.   I was in bed at 10:30 p.m., lights out, asleep in a few minutes.  This morning the Inspire shoes sleeps time as 11:40 p.m.

The wake up time (around 6:30 a.m.) seems to be spot on.

Best Answer
0 Votes

D'oh....my Inspire 2 has me thinking about better sleep and doing things differently...that's good.

Last night I proudly went to bed at the right time and fell asleep.  I was in bed a full 8.5 hours mostly sleeping.  ( I chronically go to bed late)

This morning my Inspire 2 cut off the first two hours of sleep.  It only shows about 6.5 hours in bed, starting after midnight.

When it works, I believe it is about 80% accurate, and at other times it simply doesn't work.   Overall score is about 50% trust in the Inspire 2 to monitor my sleep.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@chris_in_cal That's interesting you're having issues with your Inspire 2. It's actually pretty good especially when compared to an EEG and compared to other fitness trackers.

Screenshot_20220305-144047.png

Top right are the trackers that corelate well with an EEG sleep stages.

I assume you've done the usual troubleshooting like restarting your Inspire 2 and making sure it's worn snug and above the wrist bone?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Coincidentally I just watched the review earlier today.

Out of thirty days tracking with my Inspire 2, three times it has started my sleep tracking about :90 minutes late.

During the time it does tracks, it seems to matches what this reviewers said.

He only wore his three nights in his review.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@chris_in_cal True he only did it for a few nights but he gives all the devices the same or similar amount of time.  Plus you can see that Fitbit devices in general do well. I've been tracking every night since the end of December and it's been very accurate for my start and end times. No more than 10 minutes off from what I eyeballed before going to bed and after waking up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What do we do with different experiences?  Perhaps there is a spectrum of experiences users have with this model.

Best Answer

Thanks Marci,

My Inspire 2 is very often showing my 'sleep start' time as 1-2 hours later than reality.

I just tried it, and it worked.  I manually edited my sleep start time to something more realistic, and it showed a whole bunch of REM and deep sleep that otherwise it didn't count.

Are there tricks or techniques to get the fitbit to have a better chance of capturing my 'go to sleep' time?  Is it really all about heart rate?  I lay still and am asleep pretty quickly after going to bed...what can I do differently to help it find my real sleep start time?

Best Answer

@chris_in_cal  I don't think this is related to heart rate at all (otherwise it would be mistaking all of your asleep time for awake time or something like that, rather than being able to give you your sleep stages).  I think this is a problem with the app.  I had some number of months where the thing worked properly, but it has been doing this new thing off and on since December.  I believe one of the updates messed it up.  

Best Answer

@eezeepee Mine used to consistently give accurate start and stop times, but it no longer does (as of approximately December).  I have been thinking that perhaps an update to the app messed things up, but maybe it is instead related to the age of the device.  I believe that the youtuber you mentioned evaluates brand-new devices, but I may be wrong about that.  The specific issue is that part of the sleep is cut off or omitted.  I'm not questioning the accuracy of the data that actually is there initially or the "new" data that shows up after the record is deleted and a new record put in with correct times.  However, I will note that sometimes there are some changes to the "architecture" of the sleep when I do this.  For example, as noted below, some awake time was changed to REM and some light sleep was changed to deep sleep.

OriginalOriginalWhat shows up when correct times are entered.What shows up when correct times are entered.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@InsomniacYes Yes he does do the devices brand new. But for the Sense, he actually did re-review it's monitoring and he released videos in 2021 and compared them to 2020.

That is interesting that changing the end time to longer made some adjustments to the cycles prior.

Personally my Sense was originally purchased in August 2020 but I've been using it since the end of December 2021. In that 2.5 months or so of use, I haven't noticed any start or end time issues, yet.

Best Answer