Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resting Heart Rate Drops While Sleeping

Hello!

I'm about a month into using my inspire. My average resting HR at this point is 67, and tends to run above rest while I'm sleeping. Last night my heart rate dropped from the 70s to 40 for 10 minutes and then returned to the 70s.

Do you think the fitbit simply became loose? I'm seeing my Dr in a few weeks to talk about my high RBC and family history of heart disease. I'm 38. Should I mention this or assume it was a glitch? 

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

If you wear your Fitbit loose then I'd snug it down a bit and see if the anomaly happens again; if not, chalk it up to the loose band.

The other issue, to me at least, is your seemingly high heart rate when you sleep; from my perspective at least, a sleeping heart rate up in the 70s sounds way too high.

I have always had a slow heart rate, and even now in my mid-60s my sleeping heart rate rarely rises out of the 30s.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wear snug enough to imprint my skin.

You're a veteran runner, I see. I hope to call myself that one day but I'm not there yet. I walk moderate hikes in the woods and work on my feet, but I'm not an athlete, so my resting heart rate is within normal ranges. 40, however,  especially  for ten minutes like that, makes me wonder if it's a red flag or if I'm being silly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

is the Heart Rate notification on? It should be triggered by such sort of events 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@HEDDWEN wrote:

I wear snug enough to imprint my skin.

You're a veteran runner, I see. I hope to call myself that one day but I'm not there yet. I walk moderate hikes in the woods and work on my feet, but I'm not an athlete, so my resting heart rate is within normal ranges. 40, however,  especially  for ten minutes like that, makes me wonder if it's a red flag or if I'm being silly.

LOL, the "Veteran Runner" thing is my "Rank" here on the Fitbit community forum; I expect there are quite a few folks here with that rank who haven't run in decades.  That said, yes, I do run.

Regarding your heart rate, I don't think I fully communicated my thoughts; what concerns me is an overnight heart rate in the 70s, that sounds pretty high.  Keep in mind, I have no medical background, it's just that a sleeping heart rate in the 70s sounds concerning.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone. 

Thanks for sharing your inputs and experiences. I believe that a normal resting heart rate for adults ranges from 60 to 100 beats per minute, but the rate can vary based on age and fitness level. Generally, a lower heart rate at rest implies more efficient heart function and better cardiovascular fitness. For example, a well-trained athlete might have a normal resting heart rate closer to 40 beats per minute.

But I believe if you have inquiries about your Resting Heart Rate, my best recommendation is to consult with an expert. 

See you around. 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes