Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variations in sleep patterns

Hi all,

I will preface this by saying I wear a Charge 2! 

I have recently noticed that I get pretty low amounts of deep sleep on a regular night (anywhere from 9-15%). I am not sure why this is the case, but somehow I get much higher amounts of deep sleep after a night out drinking. For instance, 28% deep sleep versus my normal 12%. Why could this be the case? I thought your sleep was worse after drinking, so I'm very confused why my sleep tracking says I'm getting much more deep sleep! 

Also, does anyone have any idea what could cause such low deep sleep in the first place? Could it be due to medications?

Thanks,

caroline 

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

The average deep sleep is a minimal amount of your overall sleep in the night. I find after taking medications sometimes I have a crazy amount of deep sleep waaaay more than normal. Anything can affect your sleep patterns from exercise to medications (including drinking.) that's definitely completely normal 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Last i checked, alcohol is a drug, and yes it affects sleep.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm very aware of that. I was under the impression alcohol has a negative effect on sleep, not a positive effect.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Alcohol makes you fall into a very deep sleep and the deep sleep will be longer than normal. You kinda "pass out" in a sense from drinking and stay in a deep sleep until you sober up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Question is to what extent the drinking affects the positive sides of deep sleep. I guess there is a reason why sleep researchers who struggle to find ways of increasing your deep sleep haven't told you to start drinking. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

There's a big difference between deep sleep and passing out from drinking. Alcohol can inhibit the release of hormones during deep sleep. 

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes