Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would be the best condition to sleep?

ANSWERED

I have been using Fitbit Flex 2 about 3 weeks. 

Before I used it, I had some sleeping problems such as being unable to fall asleep over 2 hours after I laid down on the bed. To fix these problems, I bought Fitbit and control my daylife. 

I worked out regularly, did not drink much coffee, and went outside at least 1 hour when I do not have any schedule. 

Now, I can sleep much better. However, sometimes, this does not work well. What should I do more? Are there any habits you recommend?

I took magnesium pills that were known for better sleeping, but I felt pain in my stomach every time.

Please share your advice!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I used to have the same problem, but I found that avoiding technology for half an hour before I went to bed and not going to bed until I was barely able to keep my eyes open, then putting the radio on to my favourite channel and reading a magasine or book until I was on the verge of falling asleep really helped me.

Recently my hubby told me about the "night light" thingy on Windows 10 where it dulls your screen at a certain time (mine is set to 7.30pm to 7am but you need to set yours to what works for you) has helped me too.

Basically if, like me, you're using technology right up until you go to bed, your brain is functioning and not relaxing so it's stopping you from falling asleep.

I've also set the reminder on my Fitbit to tell me when I should start getting ready for bed.  It takes a few days and a different night time routine, but small changes make big differences!

Amanda - a Fitbit Inspire user since 29th September 2019

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

I used to have the same problem, but I found that avoiding technology for half an hour before I went to bed and not going to bed until I was barely able to keep my eyes open, then putting the radio on to my favourite channel and reading a magasine or book until I was on the verge of falling asleep really helped me.

Recently my hubby told me about the "night light" thingy on Windows 10 where it dulls your screen at a certain time (mine is set to 7.30pm to 7am but you need to set yours to what works for you) has helped me too.

Basically if, like me, you're using technology right up until you go to bed, your brain is functioning and not relaxing so it's stopping you from falling asleep.

I've also set the reminder on my Fitbit to tell me when I should start getting ready for bed.  It takes a few days and a different night time routine, but small changes make big differences!

Best Answer

I was so surprised that you told that I am using technology before sleep 🙂

Thanks for your reply, and I will try not to use any technology before I go to bed. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It sounds like your brain is functioning on day time and unable to switch off because you've been using technology right up until you go to bed.  Shut down *all* your technology (even your TV if you watch it before you head to bed) and only allow yourself to listen to the radio and read in the half an hour before you want to sleep so that you brain kinda goes "ooh!  It must be bed time!".  It doesn't have to be a big, planned out routine, but maybe try turning off all your technology before you even get changed for bed, so no watching the telly in your jammies or whatever  😉 

Ideally take all technology (other than your radio) out of the bedroom so that you're not tempted to use it and find a magazine or book that relaxes you, rather than makes you think.  Short stories are ideal but not puzzles or anything that you have to think about (studying etc)... the less you have to use your brain at bed time the better!

It'll take a while, so don't be disappointed if it doesn't work tonight, just change your bedtime routine and you'll be asleep before you know it!

Best Answer

How have you been finding your new bedtime routine, @Flyingpeng - are you avoiding technology and only reading and listening to the radio at bed time now?

Best Answer

Thanks, Amanda.

As you advised, I stop using any technology about 30 minutes before I go to bed.

Instead, I read a book. It's been a couple of years not to read, so I am not sure which reading or not using technology helps me... 🙂

This helps me a lot! Recently, it takes about 5-10 mins to fall asleep.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Flyingpeng, I do take magnesium before bed time, but I still have problem waking up at night. If it's not 3 am, then it's 4am and stay awake for at least an hour!!  The next morning I feel like a zombie. It's worst when Full Moon period .............!

Friends advised me to take sleeping pills, even Drs gave some, but they make me more alert than sleepy! Now, I just have to live with it !

Best Answer
0 Votes

There you go!  Your brain is now hopefully into a routine and you just need to keep it up and your body will start to reprogramme itself into your new routine  😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Nunul - if possible, try taking your Magnesium in the morning or lunchtime at the very latest to see if that helps you?  That's what I do with my combined Calcium and Magnesium pill every day  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Dear Amanda,

I followed your instruction, took Magnesium in the morning, it didn’t change my wake up at night. I guess it’s my body routine.
I just have to live with it.

Thanks anyway.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe try taking your Magnesium in the morning for a few months instead of just once to see if that helps?  Vitamins and minerals take time to build up, so maybe your body was still using up the supplies from a few months back?  I hope you find a solution that works for you soon  😊

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also, what's your bed-time routine @Nunul ?  Do you exercise during the day so that you're well and truly wiped out, physically, when you go to bed?  Do you go to bed before you're tired or at the same time each night just because it's routine?  What do you do when you wake up - just toss and turn and get frustrated or do you read and listen to the radio to calm your brain down again?  How do you feel as soon as you wake up, both physically and mentally?  Maybe try reading a magazine when you wake up or listen to the radio so that your brain goes "must shut down again... it's not time to wake up yet" kinda thing?

I hope you find something that works for you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I'm taking Magnesium in the morning from now on. Will see how it goes.

When I wake up at night, I toss and turn, usually I would go out and took a snack but my Nutrisionist told me it's not good, so now I just stayed in bed feeling frustrated.

Maybe it's a good idea to read a book, let's see.....

I do exercise in the morning, I walk in the afternoon. 

Evening time, I watch TV or check on my computer.

I usually go to bed at 10pm, I try to! and wake up at 8.30am. If I had a good night sleep, I feel good the next day but if not, it's horrible feeling!!!!!

Will keep you posted! hope it will get better.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your explanations @Nunul 

When you wake up in the early hours, how are you feeling both mentally and physically?  I know you said frustrated, but are you exhausted or wide awake or buzzing or churning over the previous days issues or your to-do list for the next day or something else?

Do you have a small bedside light (ie not the main light) that you can turn on to read a magasine or book or anything like that by?

What sort of exercise do you do in the morning?  I walk our dog first thing in the morning and again at lunchtime then do sit-ups and leg-lifts immediately before I crawl into bed... it might not work for you, but just a brief, easy (non-strenuous) exercise session immediately before you clamber into bed might help?

How long before you go to bed do you turn the computer and TV off?  If possible avoid *all* electrical things (other than your bedside radio) for at least half an hour before you go to bed in case it's that waking you up in the early hours too?

Something I was recently told on here when I asked why I was more tired after more sleep was that having more than 8-9 hours sleep at night means you wake up mid-circadian cycle or something, so maybe still head to bed at 10pm, but aim to be awake and out of bed by 6-6.30am just to see if that helps you to not wake up in the early hours too?  Might not work for you, but it's been soooo accurate for me!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Amanda,

Yes, I have small bed side lamp.

I think it is the computer and TV routine I watch till late which makes me awake and restless.

Last night I switch off computer, and TV long before I climb to bed and I had a goo night sleep, only woke up twice to go to the bathroom.

My exercise in the morning is Chiqong and Taichi, it's a chinese exercise.

In the afternoon, I walk.

Night before bed I don't do any, just chill out.

Waking up at 6.30am is too early for me, I'm not a morning person. As I don't work, I can allow myself to wake up later than 6.30am.

I hope I will sleep like last night tonight.

Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm writing this on my phone so it'll be a short reply but I  just want to say before I forget (due to brain damage) that turning off all technology at least half an hour before bed really helps me and it sounds like it helped you last night too!

Maybe make your bedtime 11pm or even midnight to see if that works for you as you're not a morning person and see if that works for you?  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes