Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will CPAP affect the natural lung capacity?

I used to exercise every day in the morning and hit the gym at night. I had asthma but with the inhaler, the problem was nothing big. The only problem I faced was at night while asleep. I had interrupted sleep which made me wake up in the middle of the night struggling to breathe. The wheezing sound even wakes up my friends in other room. Then I have to take inhaler and after that going back to sleep is almost impossible. So I used to get hardly 3 hours of sleep every day. Recently I started using a CPAP machine. This gave a good relief for the sleepless night. I'm a bit concerned now. Will this affect my natural lung capacity? Now I don't feel low even while going out in the morning for the exercise or at the gym. But I think I started to feel that tired fast. I'm not sure if it's just my feeling or for real.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

I'm not a medical expert, but I can't imagine any way a CPAP would hurt your lung capacity.  If anything, it should increase you overall health.  It could be that it is just taking you a while to adjust to it and, if you just started, you could even be getting poorer sleep for a bit until you get used to sleeping with it.  Stick with it and I expect you will soon notice improvement.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been on CPAP for more than 5 years and am also an avid cyclist. I've been in the best shape in my life after starting CPAP. Cycling is a very aerobic sport so if there were any negative impact on lung capacity, I'm sure I would have noticed.

Also, if you're new to CPAP and have questions, I recommend checking out the cpaptalk forums: http://www.cpaptalk.com/CPAP-Sleep-Apnea-Forum.html

Best Answer
0 Votes